Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [44.12] Earthshaper fortress civ mod  (Read 1291 times)

dremk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[44.12] Earthshaper fortress civ mod
« on: December 29, 2019, 01:55:11 pm »

Download link: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14652

Hi folks,
I would like to share with you my personal mod. I’m warning you : my English is not very good  :)

A new trading civ, with a new race, the earthshapers.

They are human-like creatures worshiping the earth, who live in underground and come out of their fortress only to make war or trade. They are lazy, stress resistant, very good at crafting stuff, particularly with stones (+ new stone furnitures btw). They love art and chaos, and dislike manual labors.
They don’t reproduce a lot but have a very good longevity, up to 1000 years.

Overall, the civ values craftsmanship, artwork, skill, nature and don’t value power, sacrifice, harmony.
For the ethics, it's unthinkable for them to kill an entity member or betray the entity. Kill (or eat) plants, trees, animals, sapiens is personal matters. Torture is justified If good reason.

The civ is separated into two races. The earthshapers who craft stuff and the gargoyles who take care of the manual or dangerous labors. The gargoyles are inorganic monsters made out of stone, metal, gem and more. They’re basically slaves, crafted to serve their masters. They don’t have feeling, don’t need to sleep or eat, but need to drink alcohol as fuel. They don’t heal by themselves and need their masters to get fully repaired (and buffed also) when injured.

For the domestic animals, they have access to all cave animals and also the slow learners (troll and troglodyte), depending on the area of the embark.They also have their own animal, the earth elemental, the main pet of the civ. It’s a shapeless monster, which can grow super big with the time, like the above ground dragon. It is used for everything, trainable, animal pack, wagon puller and vermin hunter. It's very hard to kill.

For plants, they have access to classic underground plants like the dwarfs. They can grow their own wood logs without killing trees and grow their own rock boulders without harming the earth thanks to two additional plants.
They can also make wool out of rocks.

There are three new buildings:
- The armory, which allows you to craft weapons and armors with rough rocks. The equipment crafted is as strong as iron equipment.
- The earth temple, which allows you to summon earth elementals.
- The gargoyle builder, which allows you to make gargoyles.

Requires dfhack and the latest version of the game.
The mod does not replace any base game file. For compatibility with other mods using dfhack, just merge the onMapLoad.init files.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:11:14 am by dremk »

dremk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earthshaper fortress civ mod
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 01:58:27 pm »

What I want to do next:
- The earthshapers, earth elementals and gargoyles have only one sprite each. I plan to have more
- Better body definition for the creatures
- Give learning rates bonus to the gargoyle depending of the caste, like + 50% mining skill for the stone one, or + 50% woodcutting skill for the wooden one
- Give an interaction to the earthshapers to resurrect the fallen gargoyles
- Real design for the buildings, because right now, they’re copies of the soap building
- New noble positions. For the moment, it's a copy from the dwarf entity
- Find a way to add wagon_puller + pack_animal + trade_capacity tags to draltha without altering the creature raw. Using the entity tags doesn’t work properly… And remove these tags on the elemental

I am interested if you have other ideas  :)