Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slaves to Armok: God of Blood  (Read 1405 times)

saiyanwannabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slaves to Armok: God of Blood
« on: April 10, 2018, 10:37:55 am »

So first off, I'd like to introduce myself briefly. Im saiyanwannabe and I have been a fan of Dwarf Fortress for a few years, recently I have become interested in its predecessor "Slaves to Armok: God of Blood" and was quite disappointed to see that the board for the was made inactive. That lead me to want to make this post for a few reasons, the biggest reason behind that was to ask "Where can I find resources related to the game?" Things like mods, stuff made with the editor or even a tutorial for how to use the ingame editor to make my own content.
Another reason is to have a place to discuss the game itself. I really like the game but I am disappointed in how often the game would crash from various issues. I am curious if anybody knows of a way to increase the stability of the game. unfortunately it would seem that most links related to Armok are dead links and this game is also many times more obscure than Dwarf Fortress so trying to look this game up isnt very helpful, most results being for Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress.
Is there anybody who would like to share their opinions or experiences in this game? It would be great if you would talk about it, maybe it would stoke some interest in the game.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Slaves to Armok: God of Blood
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:08:32 pm »

Hello! Unfortunately the board is not only inactive, it is dead. You cannot make new topics or posts in that board. I can't be of much other help beyond encouraging words

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:39:23 pm »

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood is an obsolete game, gone to the mists of time. You can still download it, but I'm afraid you're not going to get much help about it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

saiyanwannabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 01:57:16 pm »

Speaking of that old board, I don't think posting on it should have been disabled. That's the board dedicated to Armok so it makes the most sense to use that board when talking about the game. Maybe I underestimate how annoying it is to have a thread necro'ed but I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Has anybody Played Armok by the way? It's really fun, and it has some concepts that seem familiar in relation to Dwarf Fortress (makes sense being that both are made by the same person)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 04:17:41 pm »

Toady has repeatedly resisted any resurrection or fan involvement in Slaves to Armok. That's why he locked the forum and has said no to every request to reopen it, make files available or even really discuss it. My guess is he doesn't want to invest energy in an obsolete, poorly coded first project no matter how much people like it. He only really made Liberal Crime Squad available to be screwed with because Jonathon Fox was willing to be an "active" developer.

So you can PM Toady and ask him to reopen the forum but I'm guessing you'll just get a resounding no back like most people have received. At times it's almost like he's ashamed of the project.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:41:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

saiyanwannabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:17:50 pm »

Its really a shame to hear that, I don't mind if he doesn't want to continue his involvement in the game but I think he ought to support the fans of it by letting them use the forum, If I knew how he coded Armok then I would like to try to fix some of the crashing issues and add new stuff, even if it was just for my own personal amusement. Would anybody happen to know if there is a way to look at the coding on the game is is it like closed source kind of deal?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 07:23:29 pm »

Its really a shame to hear that, I don't mind if he doesn't want to continue his involvement in the game but I think he ought to support the fans of it by letting them use the forum, If I knew how he coded Armok then I would like to try to fix some of the crashing issues and add new stuff, even if it was just for my own personal amusement. Would anybody happen to know if there is a way to look at the coding on the game is is it like closed source kind of deal?

The Toad is a very different kind of blood god. Though he rarely asks it, he DEMANDS sacrifice! In this case of the original incarnation of DF.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:39:08 pm »

I don't think? Toady has made the source code for StA public, not like he did with Liberal Crime Squad.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti