Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Weird issue with dwarves spontaneously... melting?  (Read 39151 times)

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird issue with dwarves spontaneously... melting?
« on: April 10, 2018, 11:00:21 pm »

My fort is currently experiencing a strange issue. All of my military dwarves have somehow lost their upper and lower body fat as if they'd survived a fire, they also continuously start bleeding and feeling faint.  I have no idea what is causing it, there's no magma in any non out of the way places on my map, and no items are on fire anywhere.  Their armors and equipments are all in a similar temperature range to the rest of the fortress.

I have tried to correct it with dfhack but even after fullhealing everyone, they start bleeding everywhere all over again.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Weird issue with dwarves spontaneously... melting?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 11:08:24 pm »

Sounds like they have a syndrome.  Did you recently battle a forgotten beast, or did they get exposed to evil rain?

Since you have dfhack, try show-unit-syndromes on one of the afflicted.

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 11:14:15 pm »

I've considered syndrome, but there hasn't been a FB on this map yet. There is an evil rain but I tested it out and it appears to just be raining regular old dwarf blood. I've had several dwarves wade through it without any problems.

The issue seems to ONLY affect military dwarves.

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:16:21 pm »

Just checked show-unit-syndromes. Only syndrome in the entire fort is being drunk.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:31:27 pm »

Just checked show-unit-syndromes. Only syndrome in the entire fort is being drunk.
Is there a possibility that they had the syndromes before, but the syndromes finished before you ran that command?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 11:41:45 pm »

Is there a possibility that they had the syndromes before, but the syndromes finished before you ran that command?

It's -possible- but unlikely. After checking syndromes I healed them again. They go back to trailing blood about 2-3 ingame days after being fullhealed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:58:40 pm »

Any contaminants on them?  Try using clean all.

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 12:07:27 am »

Tried the contaminants. There are none.

It's the same few dwarves, so it's not a spreading thing. Hmm.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 02:21:58 am »

Odd, as surviving bleeding out the fat of a body part should stop the bleeding after all the fat is gone (unless you top the fuel up again with hacks... If restoring the fat doesn't remove some kind of state saying it's melting away [guessing here. I haven't looked at the script]).

Apart from regular fire, it's also possible to have surface temperatures high enough to cause massive bleeding (and death) when rained upon, at least when the rain is water. However, Vjek's hellish embark that featured that didn't see any survivors in my play (they all bled to death [and reanimated]).

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 03:50:44 am »

dfhack's full-heal didn't seem to restore the fat. I also checked all the equipment temperatures and.. they were a little high but they didn't seem too terribly so. Equipment pieces of the affected dwarves were 35-40 celsius. Ambiant temps are about half of that on average, checking things like chopped logs etc.

As a last ditch I tried retiring/unretiring the fortress and it seems to have fixed the issue, weirdly enough. Going back to the non backup save and waiting the same amount of time as the retired save did nothing and the issue persisted the full time.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 06:11:47 am »

Temperature is enabled in D_init.txt?
You use the option to improve the game with dfhack? Fastheat can change the temperature behavior.

If temperature is disabled, some tiles don't reduce the temperature.
Every tile that touch magma have a permanent 12000 ºU.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 06:30:59 am »

I have had this issue both in fort mode and adventure mode. In adventure mode, it happened for seemingly no reason (temperature was warm at most), and I ended up retiring that adventurer in a fort where he's had the same problem (although only a few times).

I recall fighting two FBs with powder (one freezing, and one boiling), but the boiling extract FB lost it's head before it could spew powder everywhere. As for the freezing extract, I checked health at the time and saw no effects. I washed it off asap, too.

I'm fairly sure that another adventurer in this same world (a performer) was having melting issues. Just randomly melting while practicing... it made him barely playable, honestly.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 12:43:39 pm »

Last time I had this happen it was a side effect of -liquids from DFhack.

If you place magma it sometimes makes 1 or 2 tiles perma-hot. Dwarves that walked over that area got melty feet.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 03:29:31 pm »

This MIGHT be it then. I didn't use liquids but I did have to temporarily disable then re-enable temperatures to fix a facepalm issue.

Oh well, issue seems to be mostly fixed for now!

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »

I had temperature enabled while playing my performer. Has anyone else done science as to whether sitting in the same spot (doing something moderately time-intensive) causes the spontaneous melting? I can say for certain that I hadn't used the dfhack -liquids command when the melting happened.
Pages: [1] 2 3