Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59

Author Topic: MafiaKart Racing: A BYOR Adventure - Game Over: Three Thirds On Negative Three.  (Read 82153 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A joint win by serial killers?
I'm cool with it. ;)

I did have fun, and both my roles were well within expectations.
(Technically I never once expected my first car to be camouflaged, but I understood how it fit the theme I submitted.)
I was surprised I won two races, I figured for sure after the first one I would draw more hits.

I let too many people kill people near the end. I actually tried to limit the number of kills this game (As well as the number of revives, but different story)
Yeah, adding me back as a serial killer (and a slow one who needed to prime targets) wasn't the best balance against everyone else's murderousness.

If those were the "Good" Catgirls, what would have happened with "Bad" ones?

At least I got to take out BHK with me, but since he was a sk, he still won.
At least all the scum were eliminated, but since the town went first 'Shroom One still lost. :-\

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

When I noticed that the game didn't end, I realized I had screwed up horribly. We shouldn't have protected BHK and kept him alive, we believed he was truly a survivor. Also I freaked when I saw that Tiruin had a kill ability and planned to get her lynched as quick as possible, even more after she targeted FoU, the third I wanted to side with. Then she flipped mafia-ally and I felt like an horrible person.

True. From what I saw, the Mafia took advantage of a lot of things the Town missed: The racing mechanic was for sure in their hands the whole time, and they were hit almost never (possibly were never?) hit. randomgenericusername had decided to jump on the Catgirl train as well, which gave a huge boost to their win chances, but ultimately may have gotten IcyTea killed. Also, RGU had the WIFOM on him at the start of the game, so it was nice to see how that worked out. Probably better as a seldom occurrence, but surprisingly effective, since everyone seemed to underestimate someone they knew the role of.

The only issue was they had believed people TOO much. Honestly, I think had Tiruin fullclaimed on the day she got lynched with her actual alignment, it might've won the game for Mafia right away (Unless BHK shenanigans, which were possible, but less likely.)

Tiruin was the only non-Mafia who had full knowledge that there was for sure a Mafia, and could've exploited it at that moment. That might've been a misstep, but not the biggest one. It could've easily backfired, considering the nature of the game.

Otherwise, Mafia had a high chance to win. Town's double-Day at the start of the game was more of a curse than a blessing, which is good to know.

A joint win by serial killers?
I'm cool with it. ;)

I did have fun, and both my roles were well within expectations.
(Technically I never once expected my first car to be camouflaged, but I understood how it fit the theme I submitted.)
I was surprised I won two races, I figured for sure after the first one I would draw more hits.

I let too many people kill people near the end. I actually tried to limit the number of kills this game (As well as the number of revives, but different story)
Yeah, adding me back as a serial killer (and a slow one who needed to prime targets) wasn't the best balance against everyone else's murderousness.

If those were the "Good" Catgirls, what would have happened with "Bad" ones?

At least all the scum were eliminated, but since the town went first 'Shroom One still lost. :-\
Each player's role was built around the theme sent to me. Yours was Stealth Hunter, but I really wanted to limit the kill portion. It took me some thought before I figured I would let you hunt the wins instead of people, and granting you more of a Special Agent vibe seemed to work pretty well in that context.

Overall, I felt like your first role was actually surprisingly well balanced, countering the Mafia team's abilities in fairly obscure ways, but also not feeling underwhelming. The second role wasn't supposed to be super balanced, but rather pushing an endgame. Just in case something happened, it would start punishing a stalemate.

BAD Catgirlification would weakened the role significantly. GOOD Catgirlification caused most abilities to power up, and maybe gain an ability or two. The opposite of BAD Catgirlification was the same: Losing power and abilities, and becoming generally mewseless. Catgirlification was supposed to offset the cost of abilities or be used as a hostage negotiation tactic. If FoU didn't get something, he could essentially start TAKING them. Alternatively, if he lived long enough, he could've used the Power-Ups and Prizes to win, as well. He wasn't so much unbalanced as an Unbalancer. HIS role wasn't the issue, but rather the roles he created were powerful and game-breaking.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile

What theme was my role built around, then?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It took me some thought before I figured I would let you hunt the wins instead of people, and granting you more of a Special Agent vibe seemed to work pretty well in that context.

Overall, I felt like your first role was actually surprisingly well balanced, countering the Mafia team's abilities in fairly obscure ways, but also not feeling underwhelming.
I liked it: I understood right away that not everybody gets an obvious kill and I did have Copycat if I wanted to try.

If I had lucked out and mimicked IcyTea would I have become an unwitting vigilante by copying his anti-[user's faction] auto-kill?

(Not that I ever contemplated actually doing that.)

One thing I did contemplate was asking IcyTea to day-inspect my car per his claim, but I kept putting it off as other bits popped up. I could have caught him, I think, if he didn't produce an accurate result. That was one of my biggest mistakes.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile

So ... what would have happened if I had won the flip?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What theme was my role built around, then?
Extortionate Duelist, but it was hard to figure out exactly how you would extort. Overall, you were more set up to impede people until you got to the end game, when you could essentially set yourself up as an impeccable member of the town. Overall, I interpreted the dueling part as unable to lose fights, which you were setup fairly well for. You had a number of ways to ward off kills, and that seemed to be the best way to win dueling. The extortion part was missed by a bit, but I turned that more into a building snowball that the town would have to deal with in order to win. Overall, your role was kinda meh in terms of how I wanted it to be, but it wasn't because of how unpowerful it was. I felt hampered due to not wanting to give you a kill, but I think that maybe making you a watcher instead would've better fit your role overall.

So ... what would have happened if I had won the flip?
You would've gained a life. Flavorwise, you would've killed those poor announcers, but you would've gained a mod life, allowing for you to do additional things and gain powers, but the 50-50 aspect was lame and didn't happen. I'm torn, because you knew the risks and took it anyway, and it fit the role really well, but I hate giving you a super awesome power that kills you half the time. Hmmmm. Did you at least enjoy it?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile

You would've gained a life. Flavorwise, you would've killed those poor announcers, but you would've gained a mod life, allowing for you to do additional things and gain powers, but the 50-50 aspect was lame and didn't happen. I'm torn, because you knew the risks and took it anyway, and it fit the role really well, but I hate giving you a super awesome power that kills you half the time. Hmmmm. Did you at least enjoy it?
Well, it was about as exciting as any 50/50 gamble.  It may not be particularly fair of me to say so, but I would have enjoyed it more if I had won the flip =P

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it was about as exciting as any 50/50 gamble.  It may not be particularly fair of me to say so, but I would have enjoyed it more if I had won the flip =P
Fair enough. I might consider less severe downsides. It makes for less swingy balances. It's a tough one.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

During the last night, did mafia have any chance at winning?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

And that ends the game. I'm gonna be honest, I probably gave the mafia a lot of power. They had a lot of extra tools, and a third teammate. I'm not sure how to feel about it. I also short-sighted hector13 a little bit, and I completely think he's a bit justified in feeling robbed a little bit, as I did word it poorly. Buuut, I also got an 11 from him... It's a dick move, but a webadick move, so maybe I should've done better there.

Meh, I shouldn't have made assumptions, and perhaps should have asked the right question sooner than a few hours prior to the end of D1-1.

Also, I think I might remove third parties when they win next time... I'm unsure, as I wasn't expecting FallacyofUrist to succeed so easily, and not just that, but ALSO succeed by the first Night. Oh well. Learning is fun.

Otherwise, it wasn't too bad. Some people had more power than others, and I was very lacking in the update department. I apologize to everyone for that.

If you have any criticism (and there's a lot to be had), feel free to do so now! I'm actually hoping you all at least had fun, and that your role was something akin to what you wanted, even if they weren't all scaled the best.

Basically removing third parties like FoU.

I might be a bit biased in that respect since I was more interested in getting rid of FoU because he was so bad for town. Totally justified; I find it highly amusing he was all "I want to help town" and proceeded to help SK for two nights and mafia for the third :))

Edit: good job RGU, though. locktown for the entire game :(

Had the other 3 anti-town guys pegged... sort of.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:30:31 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Well that was awesome. GG, y'all.

Honestly I think my role was built around the assumption that I would have gone more discreet... instead of going full furry auctioneer.

It looks like I was right about Tiruin and IcyTea being scum... except one was actually a mafia-ally.

Was there any way to survive or at least come back from Doom?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I could have used my Copycat to mimic your catgirl transformation back onto you – if it worked on Flux Flu it might have worked on that too.

Copycat was intensely powerful and I had no idea who or when to use it because I couldn't trust anybody's claims.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Now who's going to submit this game to the Notable Games Thread?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

During the last night, did mafia have any chance at winning?
Yes, but only using the exact action combination you used or something you couldn't've known. You would've needed to randomly steal the Agility passive, which would've re-purposed itself into your own Agility, protecting you from death and killing BlackHeartKabal.

The second way is using BlackHeartKabal's abilities, since they literally all counted as Mafiakills, but you had no idea about that particular wincon.

Well that was awesome. GG, y'all.

Honestly I think my role was built around the assumption that I would have gone more discreet... instead of going full furry auctioneer.

It looks like I was right about Tiruin and IcyTea being scum... except one was actually a mafia-ally.

Actually, no. Doomed should have no way to come back from it, as it would defeat the purpose of Doomed. I like it that way.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

GG. This was an odd one, for sure.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59