Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Does Toady Have a Job?  (Read 9017 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does Toady Have a Job?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 05:41:11 am »

I just gave my wife a handful of cash, so she should be in a good mood :-)

Edit: Bastard Pay Pal.  I have an old account which I can't log into because their data is corrupted.  They won't delete my account because they can't verify me.  I can't create a new account because I have an old account.  I can't pay.

I suppose it will have to be patreon, but that's going to require a significant discussion with my wife :-(
What about giving your wife the option that she opens a Pay-Pal account and pays for you?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 05:43:05 am »

Ah! Brilliant!  I will do that.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 06:19:04 am »

I would've donated if I wasn't saving up for a new PC. :-[ I'm 16, so I don't earn too much money.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 06:25:07 am »

I would've donated if I wasn't saving up for a new PC. :-[ I'm 16, so I don't earn too much money.
Then you can keep it in your mind and make a (larger) donation when you do get money...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 06:34:06 am »

Don't worry, 20 years from now when Economy hits, you can make a big donation. Don't forget to become rich and successful in the meantime. (Happy with a bit of spare cash for Toady's pension works too).

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 01:12:37 pm »

I didn't donate well after some 3 years of starting to play the game. I simply hadn't the means. Since then I donated pretty much every year.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 03:41:21 pm »

Maaaan... Why doesnt he just run ads or sell merch? I mean he really easily could the game is legendary. ( Its a shame its not more well known but still ) 
-snip-
i'm glad it's not more well known. that could lead to it becoming so broadly known that they demand the game being changed beyond recognition into an effortless easypeasy sandbox.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 04:52:19 pm »

Yeah. DF was never intended to be a game to have mass appeal or make a lot of money. It'll probably always be a fringe game for as long as it exists, and honestly I wouldn't have it any other way.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 11:06:14 pm »

I've been following (until very recently) Jason Rohrer's progress with One Hour One Life and I wonder if he will eventually regret the business model he's using.  That community is demanding!  It's made worse that the forum moderator is arguably participating in the inflammatory discussions.  I eventually had to give up (I'm not very tolerant of drama, LOL!).

I have always thought that Jason and Toady have a lot in common -- their games are driven more by a desire to create a work of art than to create a commercial return, and they insist on building everything themselves.  I had wondered for a long time if the voluntary donation thing was a good idea, or if it would be better to simply put a price tag on the website.  I'm definitely leaning towards the voluntary side now...

Complete aside: I wonder if they crossed paths at the recent conference (the name of which escapes me).  I'm pretty sure they were both there.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 12:17:51 am »

With how amazing this game is he deserves to be making enough money to hire programmers and merchendise deals and have a whole team working for him...
Although, like others have said, he doesn't want that hassle. He won't work with other programmers.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 01:52:02 am »

Maaaan... Why doesnt he just run ads or sell merch? I mean he really easily could the game is legendary. ( Its a shame its not more well known but still ) 
-snip-
i'm glad it's not more well known. that could lead to it becoming so broadly known that they demand the game being changed beyond recognition into an effortless easypeasy sandbox.

That sounds elitist, hipstery, paranoid and cringey all in one post.

The game being known to more people could only help the community by getting more fanart, more fun mods, graphics/tilesets, and growth, when i joined in 2010 i feel like the commmunity was much stronger and spending time on the forums was fun cause of it... Now i feel like if i ask a question in the the modding forum i wont get a reply for a day or two, hell i made a post a weak ago and its still on the front page despite nobody commenting on it since.
A more vibrant community means a more passionate and exciting community.

But yeah the game is a fringe sorta niche game and will ever only appeal to a small number of people, usually when I get a new friend to play it they give up as learning the controls have been compared to learning french. But i do think people deserve to know about the game. Stir up a little excitement. Most the fanart is from the height of the game close to 8 years ago.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 01:58:06 am »

Nope. Usually, when games become mainstream, it means that the developer has been dumbing the game down. I would do everything I can to stop the community from growing much beyond its current level.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 02:09:22 am »

Nope. Usually, when games become mainstream, it means that the developer has been dumbing the game down. I would do everything I can to stop the community from growing much beyond its current level.
Correlation does not imply causation.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 03:17:45 am »

Not surprised a 16 year thinks this.
You were only 6 years old when I joined the forum and it was at its most active. You would not even be able to comprehend what it was like at that time. So your frame of reference limited on this.
( God.. I was only a year older than you when i started playing DF )
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:20:17 am by DizzyCrash »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 04:03:00 am »

Well, Toady himself does not want DF to become mainstream, otherwise there would be ads. Small communities > big communities.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:06:59 am by KittyTac »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5