Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Does Toady Have a Job?  (Read 9019 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does Toady Have a Job?
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2018, 03:44:44 pm »

The Big Wait is going to be a bit of a challenge interest wise. I would advice Toady to keep a copy of the last release before the Big Wait on a USB or similar (e.g. an extra one in addition to the current backup system) so that crash bugs can be fixed in the "old" version (if that had been done, the weapon trap/missile break crash bug could [and should] have been fixed with an emergency release after the 0.43.X arc).
From what I understand, he does make copies of every release. I don't know exactly where I heard that - could have been some interview, or FotF. But without version control, making "small" hotfixes to older releases while working on newer features can quickly turn into larger messes. For trivial changes, it seems like something he should be able to handle, but not all simple issues have trivial fixes, and I don't know exactly what his thoughts are on the matter.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2018, 10:34:48 am »

You can still download versions as far back as Aug 8 2006 here http://bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2018, 10:42:51 am »

You can still download versions as far back as Aug 8 2006 here http://bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html
Right, but those are binaries. PatrikLundell and I are talking about source code.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2018, 10:01:38 pm »

The Big Wait is going to be a bit of a challenge interest wise. I would advice Toady to keep a copy of the last release before the Big Wait on a USB or similar (e.g. an extra one in addition to the current backup system) so that crash bugs can be fixed in the "old" version (if that had been done, the weapon trap/missile break crash bug could [and should] have been fixed with an emergency release after the 0.43.X arc).
From what I understand, he does make copies of every release. I don't know exactly where I heard that - could have been some interview, or FotF. But without version control, making "small" hotfixes to older releases while working on newer features can quickly turn into larger messes. For trivial changes, it seems like something he should be able to handle, but not all simple issues have trivial fixes, and I don't know exactly what his thoughts are on the matter.

Yeah, I have all the versions.  Generally, I don't like the idea of maintaining two branches, as it can be an ongoing distraction and momentum killer, but I agree on the weapon trap.  That was too much.  I'll be thinking about it as we approach the transition.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2018, 07:27:34 am »

I'm sure I won't be the first or the last to say this, but version control systems, especially git (with or without github) have come a long way. It's not just useful for co-ordinating bigger teams, but also really useful if you're making something by yourself. Cherry-picking an emergency patch from an old branch to the master is trivial, and you can easily view older versions, revert changes, etc.

(of course, it won't actually solve issues like having to test and build the emergency patch and it also won't help you if the underying code or logic is not the same between branches ... but it will solve all the admin / bookkeeping hassle.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]