Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Changes since I left  (Read 2683 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changes since I left
« on: April 11, 2018, 11:10:44 pm »

Heya all. I’ve played this game on and off since 40d days, looking to get back on after a fee year hiatus. Left time I was playing the new thing was grazing animals and maps that didn’t have every possible mineral on them, so 2013 or so I think? Any big changes/updates I should know about going in?
Memento Mori

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Changes since I left
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 11:13:57 pm »

So many.

Most important of them:

In Soviet Dwarf Fortress, You siege Goblins.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:58:52 am »

This interaction with the outside world where you can raid other sites is really great.

Also other things like visitors coming to your fortress and taverns. And book study in library and religion in temples that does not do much yet but that's probably part of what will be needed for the big magic update we get in like two years.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 02:17:55 am »

The most significant change since 2013 is that things happen all over the world now, even when you aren't there.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 03:46:55 am »

Raiding sounds cool, as do more things nags to needlessly build. Anything new in the 3rd party tool department? I don’t see the lazy newb pack anymore, looks like dwarf therapist is still running. Any graphical/utility packs of note?
Memento Mori

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 05:21:49 am »

There's PE's starter pack now.

Obviously the best tool is Armok Vision, which I make. 😉

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 07:52:45 am »

The most significant change since 2013 is that things happen all over the world now, even when you aren't there.
This!
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:35:08 am »

Well, got the "PE starter pack" and it still has Lazy Newb over the top, so there is that. :P Last thing (for now) have there been any changes to optimization that change the FPS death issues? I tend to run longer-term forts and last time making sure it didn't lag out was pretty important in choosing a start *minimal running water, 2x2 map etc.

This!

Sounds sort of interesting, but does it have any practical impact on how the fortress mode plays out?
Memento Mori

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:55:20 am »

Means that sieges depend a lot more on where you embark, and also if your king dies somewhere, somebody in your fort might get crowned.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:32:03 am »

Hm. So in my case I've found a location I like but other dwarves are between me and the local goblin population, which also seems a bit small with only 200-300 total pop. Considering I could kill that many in a couple years worth of sieges before does that mean I don't get to play around with hostile sieges unless I position myself carefully for it, or run out of cannon fodder?
Memento Mori

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 12:16:19 pm »

Pretty much.

I know Kruggsmash, a DF youtuber, started out with a world where the goblins outnumbered the dwarfs 100 to 1 or so, and managed to nearly wipe them out by settling next to the goblin city, and building an efficient trap to wipe out every siege the goblins sent.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 01:22:01 pm »

Hm. That kinda sucks tbh. I guess once you’d beaten one siege you’d pretty much beat them all, but still a significant part of the fun was creating more and more elaborate defenses, with all the goblins dead and nobody to repel it seems like part of the game sort of dies. How about migrants? Are they more limited now or still an infinite stream of fresh cannon fodder.
Memento Mori

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 01:48:03 pm »

Hm. That kinda sucks tbh. I guess once you’d beaten one siege you’d pretty much beat them all, but still a significant part of the fun was creating more and more elaborate defenses, with all the goblins dead and nobody to repel it seems like part of the game sort of dies. How about migrants? Are they more limited now or still an infinite stream of fresh cannon fodder.

If you don't use cheap tricks now it is quite possible to lose by attrition. Another change is that legendary dwarves are not as invincible as they use to be, as they get tired quite easily and can be defeated by numbers. Armor was also nerfed.

Even then, you now have the option to start wars with pretty much every civilization, including other dwarves. Unless you get a smallish world it would be quite difficult to wipe out all enemies.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 02:23:02 pm »

Fewer migrants would be welcome, actually, never really liked having basically infinite manpower. Looks like goblin a,bushes got removed though, which not so cool. What about these necromancer towers? Will they keep up a steady supply of !!fun!!?
Memento Mori

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 02:40:20 pm »

Well, got the "PE starter pack" and it still has Lazy Newb over the top, so there is that. :P Last thing (for now) have there been any changes to optimization that change the FPS death issues? I tend to run longer-term forts and last time making sure it didn't lag out was pretty important in choosing a start *minimal running water, 2x2 map etc.

This!

Sounds sort of interesting, but does it have any practical impact on how the fortress mode plays out?

Well there's a 64 bit version now so you can run longer histories on bigger worlds if you have more than.. 4gb? 8gb? of ram without the game crashing as often.
Pages: [1] 2