Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Changes since I left  (Read 2682 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changes since I left
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 02:58:20 pm »

Without crashing or with massive FPS drop off?
Memento Mori

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 03:05:27 pm »

You ll still get FPS drop off in world gen. But the more RAM you have the better, with the 64 bit version. It mainly is preventing crashes by not going over the memory limit.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 11:27:28 am »

I have 64 mb of RAM and a i7-7700 processor so I am working with a reasonable amount of computer here. Past experience tells me that FPS death is the biggest threat to a fort that lives to see its 2nd birthday though, and I like to run more long-running forts, so I like to take precautions from the beginning.
Memento Mori

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 09:57:09 pm »

64 MB? That's, uh, bad. Most modern computers have 2, 4 or 8 GB of RAM. 2 years in a fort and FPS death? How old is your computer?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 03:44:05 am »

64 MB? That's, uh, bad. Most modern computers have 2, 4 or 8 GB of RAM. 2 years in a fort and FPS death? How old is your computer?

He probably miswrote and meant GB, no way you'd have that amount of ram coupled to that cpu ;P

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 09:08:23 am »

GB indeed. I'm not getting on outpost liason, which the game considers curious. Is there a way I can get one and does that mean I can't get nobles?
Memento Mori

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 10:17:17 am »

So, looking it over my civ has a queen/baron etc. but the only site I can find is an ex-elven forest retreat with <10 members. It might be just those guys. Is there a way to get noble titles or would I have to start over with the other, not almost dead civ? I did not get a warning of a dead or dying civ on embark.
Memento Mori

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 11:30:53 pm »

Hm. That kinda sucks tbh. I guess once you’d beaten one siege you’d pretty much beat them all, but still a significant part of the fun was creating more and more elaborate defenses, with all the goblins dead and nobody to repel it seems like part of the game sort of dies. How about migrants? Are they more limited now or still an infinite stream of fresh cannon fodder.

If you don't use cheap tricks now it is quite possible to lose by attrition.
This is not true at all. You just need adequate diversity in your legendary armies. You can't just send out a squad of 40 wrestlers and expect them to beat 80 goblins anymore, but 20 axemen to sever limbs and cripple them, 10 spearmen for in case the axe men don't suffice, and 10 archers pelting down at them from a hill? You can certainly beat them, then. Cheap tricks ease the process, but it's entirely possible to survive without them.

To drive home this point, I recently had a goblin siege of 40+ goblins all on beak dogs. I beat them with 25 or so dwarfs, by luring them into advantageous terrain so I could not be swarmed and using a small group of archers to wear them down and kill their most dangerous units. There were many casualties on my side (most of them were poorly trained and not fully equipped), but I still won, with my 5 archers and about 7 hammermen (they were the only group with full armour) alive without permanent injury. The highest skill of any of them was adept. Imagine that with properly equipped legendaries.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:39:01 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 [2]