Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Iron Man Adventure Mode  (Read 6238 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man Adventure Mode
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 01:58:22 pm »

I always play adventure mode starting as peasant. I’ve not gotten far, but I’m not going to cheat
Watch out, we've got a necromancer over here.

Sotry. I will check the date of the postnext time

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 12:58:36 pm »

I never try to power level, and typically do not attack things that aren't aggressive so long as if I don't need food. I think it's more fun to raise your skills organically than grinding at the start, and makes the early game less tedious.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 01:35:12 pm »

Gaining performer skills can only be done by repeating them a lot.
Very close to real life, where you also would have to train with an instrument a lot.
Getting skill ups is very slow in real time. Specially when in a crowded fortress, where performing takes even more time. I prefer to practise alone in the woods in adventure mode. No need for other to tell the tale how bad i was.

Advantage is you can gather quite a crowd of other performers, who might help you if things go bad.

In fortress mode, my marks dwarfs stand a lot around archery targets, shooting and gaining skill. You can do the same in adventure mode and gain skill quick too. While crossbow isn't that effective (only safe when opponents cannot see you), agility is.

Even if you stick to role play you can get skill-ups by repetitive tasks.

Another approach for a not-too grindy start is starting play as a hunter: sneaking and running and try to kill some animals that aren't too dangerous. It raises several skills quite fast. You could even bring the remains back to the fort, while getting new booze if you want to roleplay that bit too.

I tend to use power leveling, just before I retire a character and resume fortress mode. Otherwise he/she would be so weak compared to trained fortress guards. Can't stand having the local hero with the most kills having the worst skills.
Pages: 1 [2]