Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories

Fortress Log - Twinkling Whips

(1/2) > >>

zdrgn:
Fortress Log "Twinklingwhips" by Leader of expedition Mebzuth "dzangor" Lormedtobd

Our small civilization "The Big Rocks" has tasked me with embarking into the frozen north because our surveys indicated an abundunce of ore and steel making materials between the mountains and forests of this location. 
And the site is a beauty!  Spoiler (click to show/hide)Thx Snow Dwarf.After a long trudge through the snowcovered Musical Forests and up the massive frozen river we found ourselves at the base of a mountain in the Teeth of Stabbing with steep cliffs along the river.  A brook atop the mountain appears to be frozen but will provide a lovely waterfall in the summer.  Opposite the waterfall is a lava tube extending almost to the plateau atop the mountain.

We camped on the frozen river and I dreamt of a grand fortress shaped like a cube under the mountain cliff and behind the waterfall.  So I designed an elaborate blueprint of a cube fort. 

15th of Granite
After what seemed like an eternity of planning, day dawned and it was time to strike the earth.

Luckily, due to a premonition of DooM that involved half our supplies crashing through the melting ice into river below, I immediately ordered disassembly of the wagon which had found itself stuck in the ice.  No sooner had we done this than a warm rain melted the snow atop the lower river and it seemed like water was flowing beneath the ice there.  Quickly orderering a stockpile be made in a safer location upstream my team and I hauled all of our equipment on to the stockpile. 
We finished on the 18th of granite and it was time to channel into the ice at the base of the cliff to provide a tunnel that will one day fill a lake around the site of our Dwarf Cube Fortress.

My premonition proved correct on the 21st of granite when the former wagon location and forest portion of the river suddenly was a vast roaring river.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Export of relevant map and designations date 21st Granite: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12795-twinklingwhips
(I used the DF map repository because it works magic with ascii and tiles so instead of uploading 25 meg BMPs for each level, the whole 16z section is only 43kb. Wow!)

Here's a link to worldgen params via the worldgen cookbook thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168543.msg7726749#msg7726749

snow dwarf:
In this tutorial you can find how to post pictures instead of just the link http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162924.0

Anyway, keep it up

zdrgn:
Fortress Log 21st Granite(1/21) - 12th Hematite (4/12)

End of granite saw us delve a passage that will one day be a mighty entrance, for now its just a tunnel to take our Yak and Horse to pasture.

At the beginning of Slate I ordered my dwarves to begin digging into the foyer of the Fortress.  And also designated a aqueduct that would wind down and back up to the bottom of the fort in order to provide water for the farms.

The three miner's in the foyer had hardly dug out our to be trade depot when I was alerted by a frightened miner that we had breached the caverns!

I halted progress on the aqueduct and immediately ordered the cavern sealed up, but it had revealed not one but two layers the bottom of which I believe to be the deepest of caverns as you can see the tops of massive bloodthorns.

After redesigning the aqueduct to avoid breaching more cavern and designating a smoothed and fortified drain.  I let my miners work the rest of slate to dig out the skeleton of our fortress.

Felsite brought good progress.
Stone and Wood industry are up and running, and we built the crucial workshops Mechanic, Mason, Carpenter's.  I designated some more upper floor rooms dug out where we had found Obsidian, and proceeded to try and make obsidian mechanisms. 
Trees were chopped down and Wheelbarrows built to speed up hauling.  As we're short on lumber for beds.

Sometime in the middle of Felsite (3/14 i'd hazard a guess), the river began roaring and the waterfall began to crash down.   Then before I knew it Summer was upon us.

1st of Hematite, ordered the Trade Depot Built
4th of Hematite, Built a meeting hall and queued up tables and chairs to turn it into a dining hall soon.
12th of hematite, its gonna be a hot summer, already vermin are all over our food stores, I need to build more barrels I don't know why we've got so much food sitting in piles.

I'll end the log here with a with a plan to focus our efforts on the aqueducts, I'll need numerous bridge and lever parts to be able to control the irrigation system.  Once we have a surplus of mechanisms, maybe I can trade one for a cat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Another compressed map viewable at the link below.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12797-twinklingwhips
And for rmblr:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)I dug 7 levels up and down from this floor for a 15level cube.  The designations around it are the planned open air cavern/cistern around the cube.

rmblr:
Beautiful site. Looking forward to following this one.

edit: would appreciate some screenshots however (maybe you can use imgur?). The DF map archive doesn't work on Linux these days.

I'm curious to see what you mean by a Cube fortress.

Llamageddon:
Wow, I am always looking for an embark like this, even if a volcano can be a bit OP. Might have to use you worldgen and this site just to see how dramatic the FPS change is when the ice melts. Looking forward to seeing how your fort progresses.

I also agree with rmblr, screenshots would be lovely; in my case I just didn't want to install flash any more, so last season. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version