Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: DF tabletop  (Read 6954 times)

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF tabletop
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2018, 11:04:08 am »

For DF-style TTRPG, I have to point at Rolemaster. It even has somewhat similar learning curve :) The 15 years of playing the game have seen as many severed limbs and crushed skulls as any long standing fortress. My personal favourite is still my pal's character, who lost his right hand 3 times and whole campaign essentially spiralled into "lets look for next way to regrow that hand".

On the other hand, I've personally started DF-inspired campaign in Dungeon Crawl Classics, since the system is pretty sleek, and is deadly enough for d20-based game. Additional props for having dangerous magic so it really is best left for NPCs.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2018, 08:28:43 pm »

I mean, this very much depends on how much you want your DF TT to be 'inspired' by it.

Because you probably could just take any given DF world, extract the data, muddle around with it for a bit (depending on the size), then use a generic system like GURPS, FATE, Savage Worlds or Open Legend (wink wink nudge nudge).
Hell, with how (intentionally) generic DF worlds are as far as fantasy goes, you could probably just run a D&D or Pathfinder campaign in any given one with (almost) no problem. Pretty sure people have done that exact thing before, even.

Now if you want to truly represent the nitti-grittiness of DF's actual mechanics and translate that to a tabletop RPG...That's probably going to be more difficult. GURPS, with the right set of fantasy-oriented supplements, and aforementioned DF-aided worldbuilding, is probably your best bet there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:30:33 pm by Mesa »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2018, 06:30:58 am »

I mean, this very much depends on how much you want your DF TT to be 'inspired' by it.

Because you probably could just take any given DF world, extract the data, muddle around with it for a bit (depending on the size), then use a generic system like GURPS, FATE, Savage Worlds or Open Legend (wink wink nudge nudge).
Hell, with how (intentionally) generic DF worlds are as far as fantasy goes, you could probably just run a D&D or Pathfinder campaign in any given one with (almost) no problem. Pretty sure people have done that exact thing before, even.

Now if you want to truly represent the nitti-grittiness of DF's actual mechanics and translate that to a tabletop RPG...That's probably going to be more difficult. GURPS, with the right set of fantasy-oriented supplements, and aforementioned DF-aided worldbuilding, is probably your best bet there.
THIS.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2018, 11:54:42 am »

Dwarf Fortress combat always reminded me of Runequest, or at least the 80's version of it that I recall learning.  Limb-based hit results, massive critical hit tables, high significance of armor, etc.  Sadly I recall that level of detail in combat was slow and not terribly fun to play out in a dice setting.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Disgrunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Poet / Lumberjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2018, 06:12:31 am »

Dwarf Fortress combat always reminded me of Runequest, or at least the 80's version of it that I recall learning.  Limb-based hit results, massive critical hit tables, high significance of armor, etc.  Sadly I recall that level of detail in combat was slow and not terribly fun to play out in a dice setting.

That's exactly what I was worried about, and that's most of the reason why I chose BoL as a system to try to port to. The great thing about boardgames is that you can just use imagination, really. That's the only thing we have over computers.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2018, 07:49:03 pm »

As you're mentioning boardgames now, i am wondering if you're aiming for some kind of mix/hybrid between a boardgame and a tabletop rpg ?
Are you thinking about something similar to old Warhammer Quest that came with both basic heroquest-like boardgaming rules and had an advanced rulebook (with near 200 pages) too that was making it more of a rpg both within and outside of the boardgame elements.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2018, 06:15:28 pm »

Are we having dwarven culture being as intended by toady, or like players play.

A one-gendered culture, with a strange slant of anarchy with any noble who gets too demanding, who ultimately listen to the Overseer an unseen somewhat ghostly entity that can see much more than any one dwarf but is not omniscient.
They are known to randomly kill merchants and visitors for no reason.
They have a communist-like economy, with little understanding of the concept of money.
Each dwarf(except nobles, which is one of the reasons they often kill them.) takes only what they need from the fortresses stocks, and if they take more, production is simply increased.
Despite this, they do have a working class referred to as "haulers".
The Haulers are the people who do jobs that don't require any skill at all, and these people are often the dwarves sacrificed if any sacrifice is needed.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2018, 11:58:27 pm »

I'd go for a mix of Toady's vision and the players' vision.

We can just say any megaprojects are the result of special strange moods.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 03:41:05 am »

well, the player rather represents the highest noble. them having "accidents" is a mere workaround the players do to evade impossible mandates. so as the noble has the right to mandate from the fortress, the player is more like the architekt and manager of the noble.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2018, 12:25:19 pm »

"Gullstaff, you have entered the door to the north. The pungent stench of mildew emanates from the wet dungeon walls..."

"Okay."

"There's a giant cave ogre."

"Oh."

"The giant cave ogre hits you in the stomach (technically its fist is the size of your entire torso). Make a saving throw against vomiting up your spleen."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2018, 01:52:48 pm »

Also, what is the Overseer, in the world of the tabletop?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2018, 02:01:57 pm »

The DM?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2018, 05:34:06 pm »

In my mind, the party-collective-consciousness. Individual party members may have ulterior motives that move against the Plan™, or just be unable to help towards it, but the players' openly spoken consensus is the Overseer.

The GM/DM/whatever plays the environment and politics and commerce. At least in my version of the conversion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]