Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there anything as interesting in ver. 40+? (Dwarf Mode)  (Read 2045 times)

Wraithward

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is there anything as interesting in ver. 40+? (Dwarf Mode)
« on: April 14, 2018, 11:56:12 am »

Hard to imagine just how long it has been since 34.11 came out, even for Vanilla. I roughly started around then and have been playing it and Masterwork pretty exclusively outside of my first few forts.

These days, I'm thinking it's finally time to move into DF2016 and forward, experience the slew of content that has happened since. The only thing holding me back from retiring MWLegacy, I think, is my over-attachment to the magic-oriented dwarves. While I understood the desire to cut down content bloat that came from the transition from Legacy -> NEW Masterwork, I always found the reversion to Dwarves a little too... vanilla? Vanilla in the sense that they're back to their most stereotyped and Tolkien-ized standard. The acquisition and outfitting of a mage dwarf -- rare as they were -- was always the crown jewel in the militia-raising simulator that version of the game ends up becoming. Few things will ever come across as badass as bringing up a Demonbound in full plate and with a greatsword, then making them a sort of one-man army.

Are there any mechanics or features in the 40.XX+ versions that can dissuade my opinion that NMW's Dwarves are a little too rooted in their most base flavor? Am I shortsighted for feeling that way, to begin with? I admit it has been a bit since I've tried to keep up with everything the current versions have been doing.

Opinions?

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of the steelflame fort
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anything as interesting in ver. 40+? (Dwarf Mode)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 01:31:02 pm »

I myself was thinking about moving back to legacy. warlocks were my fav civ, and i always wanted to try gnomes.

also one BIG thing that the older versions have over 43.05 is the new happiness rework...which is sadly bugged, so it is VERY hard to make your dwarves nettled, let alone go into neck-biting, slab-throwing, magma-drinking, Adept baby-wielding insane.

and the new version of MW has yet to add the new raiding/mission update in 0.44.02, and i cannot WAIT for masterwork to add it...just ah...may take abit.

over all, both versions have things that are great, but i have been playing both. cannot WAIT for the artifact update to hit masterwork.
("Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
I'm 99% sure this is how Resident Evil started.)

("A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration")

("I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.")

Wraithward

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:16:50 am »

Ah, alright. Fair enough. I suppose I can cling to my precious mages awhile longer, then. Super excited to see some of these features myself, but I can wait until they're in working order.

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of the steelflame fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 09:01:17 pm »

same brother, cannot WAIT for raiding to be added.
("Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
I'm 99% sure this is how Resident Evil started.)

("A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration")

("I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.")