Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Power & Pulse: A good day to plan victory  (Read 24542 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Power & Pulse: A good day to plan victory
« on: April 14, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »

Game in which mages fight mechs. 6 players in all, 3 on each side. (To start with, anyway.)
Mages are people with magic shit in their blood that lets them do magic.
Mechs are machines driven by normal not-magical humans but they've got magic all up in the technology so it works out. Also they're from space.
They fight each other over something something blood.
Important part: eat the heart of your enemy to gain his strength.

(If you want real lore go read the first thread.)

Actual mechanics:
If the thing you're doing isn't hard, you can do that thing. Good job.
If the thing you're doing is hard, roll 1d6:
1: bad.
2: still bad.
3: almost good.
4: pretty good
5: good.
6: good, then bad.

Also, if you're good at doing the hard thing, or conditions are just right, you get to roll again. Congratulations!
And if you're bad at doing the hard thing, you also roll again but not in a good way.

And there's other stuff but honestly don't worry about it? I won't.

Spoiler: character sheeeeeeet (click to show/hide)

Once you've done the character sheet for being a human choose either the mage power sheet or a mech frame sheet, fill that out, and pin it to the bottom of your human sheet. Thanks.

I've gone ahead and created a discord for discussion, questions, faffing, derailment etc. https://discord.gg/3pKq47t

Hmm. So people are telling me that it would probably make things more fun if you'll abstained from reading character sheets from the other side. I'm not about to enforce that or anything, but maybe yeah go for that?

Also, just FYI this isn't first-come-first served, I'll wait a bit and pick my three favorite sheets for each side. You can post multiple sheets if you want to hedge your bets.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:51:33 am by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power & Pulse: They just let you edit these you know
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 04:27:30 pm »

Mage things:

Spoiler: Mage powers sheet (click to show/hide)

Simple actions require no roll to execute. Generally you can use as many simple actions in a turn as you wish.
Complex actions do require a roll. Multiple can be executed in a turn, at the risk of splitting your attention.
Magical actions require and use mana. If you use any number of magical abilities in a turn, your mana will tick down by one. If you have 0 mana, you can't use any magic that turn. If you don't use any magic for a turn, your mana will refill to full.
Push powers can only be used when you push, and always require a roll. Pushing allows you to use magic and doesn't require any mana, and refills your mana to full afterwards.

Note that for the purposes of magic abilities, successfully creating an attack is not the same as hitting with it, so a simple magical attack still needs to roll to hit, and a complex magical attack must roll twice; once to successfully cast, and the second to land the attack.

Spoiler: Mana Tethers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mage powers (click to show/hide)

Mech things:

(Pick one of the below mech frames and fill out the hardpoint slots with things from the armory.)

Frame Descriptions:
   Combat Hardsuit: Power armor that fits around the user, creating a form factor like a hulking great human. The Combat Hardsuit mass is complemented by the addition of a heavy exoskeleton, which in turn allows the user to heft what is perhaps the most notable feature of the suit: light mounted weapon. Normally such large munitions would be unusable by anything human sized. In addition the exoskeleton can provide some protection, allows the suit to enter "heavy mode", sacrificing power efficiency for even greater strength.
   Assault Hardsuit: Unlike its heaver cousin, the Assault Hardsuit lacks a large exoskeleton. For this reason it cannot mount a light weapon. Instead the assault hardsuit boasts slightly thicker armor plating, and a small arsenal of personnel weapons. Also, the flight system requires a bit less energy due to the lower mass.
   Support Hardsuit: Probably the squishiest you can be while technically riding a mech, the Support Hardsuit isn't intended for direct combat, but for a support role. However, the fact that the flight system is totally silent along with the ability to install thermal vision or other enhanced sense makes it a popular choice for snipers and other sneaky folks.
   Battle Gear: In a bygone era, Battle Gear were the primary mech used for direct combat, and formed the linchpin of warfare in general. In these times it's usually seen as outgunned and obsolete, but it still has it's use. The heavy mounted weapon is a real danger even to Titans, and its jump jets make it fairly mobile. Note that this mobility comes at the cost of leg armor, however.
   Tech Gear: This repurposed Battle Gear is intended for technical and combat support. The Tech Gear is armed with a light weapon, equipped with an auxiliary system, and can host a small flock of four drones. REgardless of what auxiliary system is installed, the auxiliary arm is capable of repairing damaged mechs and lifting heavy debris. All-around strong in most respects, though not ideal for direct combat.
   Stalker: A relatively new invention, this speedy quadrupedal mech is designed with flanking in mind. The Stalker can flank heavier foes and tear into them with a spinal-mounted heavy weapon. In addition, it is armed with a mount from which to launch drones, which can scout or harass the enemy. However, this speed and power comes at the heavy drawback of power consumption.
   Flight Gear: Though called a "Gear", this mech physically has more in common with the stalker. In addition to the four legs, the Flight Gear can, as the name implies, fly. This is accomplished by a pair of wing-like engines mounted on either side of the mech, giving it an appearance not unlike a giant wasp. With dual light weapons the Flight Gear can deal considerable damage from the air, but due to its weight, flight can only be maintained for a short time before energy reserves run dry.
   Titan: The undisputed king of mech warfare, the Titan stands considerably higher than any other machine and has the heavy armor to match. Both if its two arms carry a heavy weapon, and a third is even mounted on the back, generally aiming over one shoulder. In terms of raw durability and firepower nothing can beat the Titan. It does consume a lot of energy, however.
   Logistics Rig: Unarmed, six-legged support mech designed to transport Arcane and other supplies.

Spoiler: Mech frames (click to show/hide)

(These are presented as examples and president, not a complete list of everything. Despite the fact that this is already a giant monster pile of silly, silly weapons, feel free to add to it!)

Spoiler: Armory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 09:35:00 pm by Egan_BW »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power & Pulse: It was inevitable
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 04:27:59 pm »

Progression:

When you survive a mission, you'll get 2d6 XP points. If you completed your mission successfully, you'll get an additional 5 points.
If you want small special things done, like extra spikes on your mech or an APC to park in your pocket dimension, you can spend a few points between missions on that. Exactly what this gets you is subject to approval and possibly dice rolls.
Also between missions, you can spend 10 XP to get promoted. The benefits of such are detailed below.
Finally, while on mission if you have 10 or more XP and perform a particularly impressive feat, you can spend 10 points to gain a boon similar to what you'd get for absorbing an enemy.

Having a higher rank will let you command any friendly units that are present (and theoretically PCs that you outrank), have a small squad of NPCs, and have more say in what the next mission will be.
From now on, I'm going to provide a few different scenarios that you can vote between, with whichever one getting the most votes being the next mission. Players with a higher rank will have more votes, letting you choose a mission more suited to your strengths. In addition your votes will be hidden from players on the opposing side until I count them.

Here's what rank will get you, specifically:
Rank 1: 1 vote. This is what you start at.
Rank 2: 2 votes, authority over friendly NPCs.
Rank 3: 3 votes, 2 NPC grunts to outfit and command as you please.
Rank 4: 3 votes, 4 NPC grunts, and fancier equipment for yourself.

Random lore bits:
  • The substance called "arcane" is naturally found dissolved in the blood of giant, mythical creatures called "arcane beasts". These beasts are present on almost every planet, are immortal and do not reproduce. The arcane essence in their blood is theorized to be leftovers from the creation of the universe, and cannot be created by any known method.
  • Mages are people with a large amount of arcane dissolved in their blood and the skill to use it. This arcane can be inherited from their mother, if she's a mage, randomly aquired at birth, or absorbed from the corpse of a mage.
Turn atlas:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:53:23 am by Egan_BW »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Power & Pulse: Now with an ampersand
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 04:30:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:26:30 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 04:31:17 pm »

Quick on the trigger, aintcha?

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:36:06 pm »

Spoiler: I'm Blue (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:45:21 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 04:39:59 pm »

Post to anxiously alliterate!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 04:43:13 pm »

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:23:05 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 04:50:25 pm »

Quick on the trigger, aintcha?
hurt and heal games: I sleep.
power and pulse restartin:. Real shit.

Also, what would you say to a pistol sidearm with a built in "riot" energy shield projector on it's wrist-holster for personnel weapons?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:52:50 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 05:34:18 pm »

Shouldn't the thread name be "Power & & Pulse"?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 06:38:45 pm »

Nope.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 11:13:47 pm »

Well, I already made three mech characters, and no mages, so I'm definitely in on the mech team.  I'll wait to choose which character I go with depending on the rest of the team's composition though.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 12:28:59 am »

Hmm. So people are telling me that it would probably make things more fun if you'll abstained from reading character sheets from the other side. I'm not about to enforce that or anything, but maybe yeah go for that?

Also, just FYI this isn't first-come-first served, I'll wait a bit and pick my three favorite sheets for each side. You can post multiple sheets if you want to hedge your bets.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:31:08 am by Egan_BW »

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 04:51:28 am »

(This was written in a sleep-deprived state)
Spoiler: Maire de Lachance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mech (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:43:26 pm by Hiddenleafguy »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 05:28:05 pm »

New mech person. Erm, a person in a mech, yes.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13