Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Untold Lore v0.1  (Read 2773 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Untold Lore v0.1
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 04:18:34 pm »

When do you plan to implement the option to allow multiple people to edit settings? I'd like to try having my minions fill out more of my setting.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 01:47:11 am »

I can add that in next! At least, I can add in a simplified version that will be improved over time.

Ideally, it'll eventually end up being like Github: users request changes, setting owners approve or delete the changes. The short-term version is to let you allow multiple users unrestricted access to the setting. Will that work for you?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 01:48:49 am »

Yeah. Allowing general users to edit the setting would do fine for a quick-and-dirty.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 07:23:22 pm »

So, I've hit a bit of a snag. You can now allow anyone (even people who aren't logged in) to edit a setting by clicking the "allow unrestricted editing" button when viewing a setting you own. However, I'm going to have to refactor a bunch of database stuff to allow the fine-grain control I would have preferred to add. On the plus side, refactoring that same database stuff will also allow me to much more easily add features later on, so it'll speed things up in the long run.

I'm also trying to plan out what direction I want to focus on next and what the different major version milestones will be. I've decided on a handful of topics that will need to be in version 1.0, but the order is up in the air.
  • Data storage: adding more fields to each entity type (descriptions, location types, races, etc), adding additional entity types (races, spirits, species, etc), and improving entity organization (letting you link things easier and organize entities in relation to each other).
  • Data visualization: improving the presentation of the data so that it's easier to navigate and edit.
  • Collaboration tools: improving the ability to selectively share data, allow editing from other users, and allow communication (through things like entity-specific message threads).
  • Mapmaking: add in the ability to create semi-procedural, semi-hand-drawn maps, including heightmaps, climate calculations, biomes, and location placement.
  • Story planning: allow users to organize entities based on their relevance to stories, plan multiple plotlines, and organize campaign notes for future sessions.
  • DM tools: create additional generators for locations, ruins, dungeons, landmarks, plot hooks, and anything else that would be useful to have on-hand when players do something unexpected.
Are there any of those that stand out as more useful to all of you than the others? If there's no real consensus, I'm gonna start working on data storage after I finish refactoring.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 08:08:50 pm »

As it is I would expect reworking data storage to be a good thing to start with. I will say, it would also be nice if the editing window for articles you have permission to edit is closed by default, hidden beneath an "Edit" button or something like that. Right now when you open it up, the editable text takes up the majority of the screen, it takes a moment to realize there's "main" text.

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 04:34:37 pm »

Question, what is the script the site wants to run on localhost? I am kinda... suspicious of any site wanting to run something from localhost, rather than from domain.

My script blocker detected one.
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 10:24:24 pm »

I will say, it would also be nice if the editing window for articles you have permission to edit is closed by default, hidden beneath an "Edit" button or something like that.
I can get that added in no problem. I haven't had time to really get into reworking the database, but that should be a simple fix.

Question, what is the script the site wants to run on localhost? I am kinda... suspicious of any site wanting to run something from localhost, rather than from domain.
It's trying to open a websocket connection using SockJS to a (nonexistent, in your case) Node server at port 8080. The reason it does that is because I never bothered to change Webpack's settings from debug to production when I put the site live, so it attempts to communicate back with the server (which was originally set up on my own computer at port 8080).

This is probably a security flaw on the server's end, but literally the only thing that server can do is send people the Vue application it's supposed to and a few static CSS files (the API is handled by a separate application), so I'm not particularly worried. I'll get around to fixing it soon enough.
Pages: 1 [2]