Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I raid in a savegame?  (Read 551 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I raid in a savegame?
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:27:22 pm »

Raiding works fine until you save and reload.  But I can't find any trick on a loaded game to make raiding another site not crash the game.  Nor do I see anything about working around this problem.  Surely someone has a found a workaround?

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I raid in a savegame?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 03:52:32 pm »

I have not encountered the problem you describe.

What version of the game are you playing? Are you using any mods or starter packs?

At what point exactly does the crash occur? When you order the raid, when the first soldier leaves the map, what?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:02:49 pm »

Raiding works fine until you save and reload.  But I can't find any trick on a loaded game to make raiding another site not crash the game.  Nor do I see anything about working around this problem.  Surely someone has a found a workaround?
That's not a known issue, it's not on the bug tracker, it's not happening to anyone else on the forum (noticeably). Why do you think someone would have found a "workaround"?
At least link to the threads referring to this bug, here or at Reddit or whatever forum is talking about this? Then report it. Crashes get top priority, if they can be reproduced.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 12:25:34 am »

That's just the regular raid crash. What does it have to do with saving games?

If you mean you have a save which definitely crashes. Upload it or nothing will happen. The workaround for crashes is 'have them fixed'. That's why we have these periods of bug fixing.

The current workaround for the remaining raid crashes (They're pretty rare now, so a save would help) is to save the game before raiding. Guess that won't help you though...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:44:10 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 06:02:46 am »

Yeah, at the very least upload your save.

You notice how one of those crash reports is on Linux and another is on Windows? The fixes that work for those crashes may not fix yours on Mac.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 09:08:06 am »

Some raid is bound to crash. If you saved after sending out the "crash" raid, it is irreversible.

Since I'm in a small world, raid usually lasts only a few days. I save before raid, and don't save until all troop is back.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 03:41:27 pm »

Am i not just seeing the "regular" raid crash?  That only happens in saved games right, not in fresh-start games?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 05:15:37 pm »

Am i not just seeing the "regular" raid crash?  That only happens in saved games right, not in fresh-start games?
The regular raid crash has nothing to do with saving or not saving. Some raids crash. That's it. Workaround is to reload and try again. Probably it won't crash the second time.

A previous fixed example was that the game crashed when dwarves tried to steal barrels of booze. It's just weird things like that. Eventually the causes will be discovered. Which is why uploading saves help. It's very random. Not something that can be reproduced without hours of trial and error.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 11:08:07 pm »

So my crash is 100%, every time.  But I tried making a simpler text case, without the various raw edits I normally run with, and it suddenly stopped crashing at all.  I'll keep poking.  I'd stopped because I assume this was already well taken care of.