Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having issues with dirty water  (Read 545 times)

kkjazy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Having issues with dirty water
« on: April 15, 2018, 01:27:53 am »

I found an underground pool in the caverns, there's some mud but it's not stagnant. I made a well but noticed the dwarves were complaining it was nasty water. I made a second, larger area for a new well and made sure to channel down 4 levels so all the mud would stay at the bottom. It didn't work; the dwarves are still complaining and infections are getting widespread.

Any suggestions?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Having issues with dirty water
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:02:49 am »

Did you remove the first well? If not, then try removing it to force dwarfs to use the second one.

kkjazy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:51:47 am »

Yes, I removed the first well.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 04:19:25 am »

To control where your dwarfs get their water from, create a zone adjacent to the deep well and set it to 'w', and then in 'o' 'z' there is an option you can set for "zone only" water source. Then they will only go to the zone adjacent to the deep well for water. Any existing infections will need to heal naturally.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:38:13 am »

Well is a water source by itself, there is no need to place a zone over it. Even if placed, the zone doesn't work, it shows usable tiles as zero. If the water is right below the well, you'll get 8 usable water source tiles, but these are not related to well, these are just because of a water tile 1 z level below. If the well is more than 1 z level up, you won't get those tiles.

If there is a grate or bars between the well and water, the well becomes obstructed as it cannot draw water through anything.

I'm curious whether setting orders to drink only from zones affect hospital jobs as well.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:11:10 am by Kametec_Housen »

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 12:35:47 pm »

Typically there will be some dead critters or remains of some in cave pools, and they can contaminate the whole water source.

Cleanest way to get drinking water, is putting it trough a screw pump. This will both remove any contaminant and make the water fresh ( not stagnant )

If you have put in some floodgates and can shut off the water flow, you might still be able to install a screw pump and some power for it and use the existing channel and wells. If not, you should make a new channel.

Another thing worth to have in mind. Some critters can swim, so it's a good idea to protect the path your water comes into the fortress. ( eg. grates, fortifications, traps, or just up and down some z levels )
You also want to make sure nothing can grow in your water systems, since that can block water flow. Smoothing or placing  a constructed floor everywhere before flooding it, will do the trick.

Lastly you also want to protect the water against your own  dwarfs. Although very rare, dwarfs can fall into water by accident, or more common during combat. Dwarfs and visitors might also want to commit suicide drowning on purpose. No one wants to drink Urist flavoured water for the next 10 years, so put some grates over any holes.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 04:21:28 pm »

Typically there will be some dead critters or remains of some in cave pools, and they can contaminate the whole water source.

Cleanest way to get drinking water, is putting it trough a screw pump. This will both remove any contaminant and make the water fresh ( not stagnant )

If you have put in some floodgates and can shut off the water flow, you might still be able to install a screw pump and some power for it and use the existing channel and wells. If not, you should make a new channel.

Another thing worth to have in mind. Some critters can swim, so it's a good idea to protect the path your water comes into the fortress. ( eg. grates, fortifications, traps, or just up and down some z levels )
You also want to make sure nothing can grow in your water systems, since that can block water flow. Smoothing or placing  a constructed floor everywhere before flooding it, will do the trick.

Lastly you also want to protect the water against your own  dwarfs. Although very rare, dwarfs can fall into water by accident, or more common during combat. Dwarfs and visitors might also want to commit suicide drowning on purpose. No one wants to drink Urist flavoured water for the next 10 years, so put some grates over any holes.

- Even water purified through a screw pump gets muddy if the water depth is 1.
- Grates and flood gates can be destroyed by building destroyers, while fortifications can be swum through if fully submerged. Extra pathing doesn't keep hostiles out.
- Saplings won't mature if the headroom is a single tile, but vertical -> horizontal connections are at risk. You can block tree growth with stairs and ramps as well as paved roads. I wouldn't trust smoothing or floors, as muddy floors get stuff growing on them, including muddy constructed floors.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:26:35 am »

The water in the image seems fine. "Nasty water" could possibly refers to water laced with vomit or blood. Or the negative thought hasn't yet wear off. Infection may be a result of lack of soap.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

kkjazy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:49:58 pm »

The water in the image seems fine. "Nasty water" could possibly refers to water laced with vomit or blood. Or the negative thought hasn't yet wear off. Infection may be a result of lack of soap.

I have soap and the thoughts are recent.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:32:28 am »

As far as I understand, infection can set in if it takes time to treat the injuries, and since there's no priority to continue the treatment of a patient I've seen that each step seems to result in a swap of the dorf doing that step, which includes trekking from wherever that dorf was to the hospital. This means Dorf A does diagnosis and walks away, while dorf B treks from the magma facilities down by the magma sea to the hospital to clean the patient, to walk away, at which point dorf C starts to trek from the magma facilities to do another diagnosis...
It took over a month for the buggers to treat a dorf with 5 or so injuries and did result in an infection (that healed, eventually). If you have multiple injured dorfs and a shortage of doctors you may have a worse situation, but it may also improve, if it means the doctors don't spend days walking back and forth, but actually just walk from patient to patient.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 07:22:45 am »

Therefore it is a good idea to disable any other labours for doctor dwarfs and let them do only doctory stuff. Making one or two dedicated nurse dwarfs (feeding and cleaning) helps too. Dedicated at least for the duration of medical emergency. They won't trek from magma forges if they have any other labours, including hauling, disabled. Disabling medical labours on any other dwarfs is necessary as well.