Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Age of the Castle: A New Dwarven Hope  (Read 1174 times)

Heydan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Age of the Castle: A New Dwarven Hope
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:04:20 pm »

Thread Moved To: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=14.0

Out-Of-Character:

If you would like the game files please ask and I can send you the folder or seed. I exported it before I started playing and made three untouched saves one for adventure, fort, and legends. As I progress through building this fort if you want an export of the fort just ask, but be warned it is the entire square because well... you'll find out why soon enough....

Screenshots and videos for reference will be numbered and super scripted. Also AMK stands for Armok, I explain it below...

Orukstrasp, "The Infinite Planet"
World Size: Large
History: 1050 years
Civilizations: Low
Sites: Very High
Beasts: Medium
Savagery: High
Resources: Frequent

In-Character

In the early years before arrival of the horse devil named the Castle and the rise of "The Strange Monster"1 the dwarven people were proud and strong holding not one, but two mountain homes to be proud of. Fearing the destruction of the people the dwarven tribes elected Edzul Rinseoil to leaded them dubbing him the king of The Named Room in the first year of the Castle. The coronation was held in Pillarsparks as part of The Walled Festival and included all sorts of entertainment from acrobats, banners, images, a recital of the Cyclopean Blossom, a performance of The Play of Adoring and a telling of the ascension of the first dwarven king along with a series of games and sports.2 & 3

The Clasp of Chants4 was the first to leave to find a new mountain home in case Pillarsparks and The Named Room was attacked by the Castle. They left almost immediately after the king Edzul Rinseoil became aware of the Castle. These dwarven pioneers chose one of the most hated spots on all of Orukstrasp settling right under a Roc's nest in Parchgate. Within the first year they were beset by four Rocs, but they did not perish then. Once the family of Rocs had been dealt with the dragon The Branded Taxes became angry with the Clasp of Chants and sought to destroy them but was outwitted by Vucar Tundraflags in the second year of the Castle. Fearing the defeat of dragonfolk the dragon Luto Wealthsparched the Luxries of Gold became the enemy of the Clasp of Chants and sought to destroy them, but after making no advance against the Clasp of Chants by the fourth year of the Castle the dragon Luto Wealthsparched the Luxries of Gold recruited the hydra Renownedgall the Youthful Perfection to their side and attacked with vigor. Meanwhile the Clasp of Chants sent a scout to the south who had returned with news of an army Ice Goblins5 who had over taken the frozen wastes there. Vucar Tundraflags was named the leader of The Scorching Lance of in the sixth year of the Castle and founded Silverybows after retreating from the might of the dragon Kima Gildbrands the Flickering Wealth of Jewels who utterly destroyed Silverybows after raining destruction on Parchgate. Those that remained from the Clasp of Chants retreated to Pillarsparks as refugees; several were eaten by the dragon Kovest Sizzledgolds the Flickering Spark along the way.

In the seventh year of the Castle The Thin Rooms of The Named Rooms launched an expedition to reclaim Rooffur from the dragon Kovest Sizzledgolds the Flickering Spark to serve as a permanent home to their new refugee population. The dragon  Kovest Sizzledgolds the Flickering Spark routed The Thin Rooms of The Named Room and destroyed Rooffur entirely killing all remaining members of the Clasp of Chants but a single wife and husband who were with the original expedition to settle Parchgate. They were survived by children who would go unrecorded as in the 8th year of the Castle as the dragon Stettad Taxwealths the Furnaces of Glowing routed The Boulder of Inching of the Named Room and destroyed Pillarsparks.

The dwarf Urvad Broadblockade became the king of The Named Rooms in the 9th year of the Castle. Surrounded by enemies sent from The Strange Monster several dwarven generals attempted to mount one last defense of their homes. They were besieged by several hyrda, dragons, and roc until in the 19th year of the Castle the roc Anthil Budstreams routed The Brushed Furnace of the Named Room to destroy the last dwarven bastion of Booksandaled.6

Since then the dwarves have been living in a great diaspora led astray from AMK, The True Lord, their loyalty only changed through having been deceived. Several atrocities had been committed upon the dwarves during this time apart from AMK by other races. Making themselves more agreeable, the dwarves let themselves be led astray by the other races which had come to enslave or otherwise oppress them if only to survive, albeit as a broken people and without honor, and this is how they had remained into the year 1010 of the Castle; whereupon, a band of dwarves who could no longer live under the foreign customs of the elven and human empires which took them in as refugees or took them over as slaves. For too long the dwarves had made themselves meek and fearful of war and death, what was life if the dwarves would only leave a memory of a weak and shattered people. The dwarves a race of ancients whose forefathers beat back a legion of dragons, roc, and hydra a thousand years ago!

This is the story of my time, Heydan second born to the Seegil clan last of the Clasp of Chants chronicler of the dwarven people and led by Iton Almoshral7 and Atolosor; The True Kingdom in the tongue of man, which included myself along with: Cerol Lilarkubuk8 who was learned in dwarven dietary law as well as modern medicine, Momuz Lakishkol9 our chief architect and stone mason, Lorbam Melbilmorul10 our carpenter and fighter, Zasit Becorablel11 our farmer and clothier, Rigoth Matulber12 our ranger and bee keeper, and finally Kogan Ildomasmel13 who captained our ship and was an excellent fisher dwarf. On the 16th of Granite 1010c; the 'c' is for the Castle which is years since the horse devil known as "The Castle" took control as "The Strange Monster" or 3870a by the dwarven calendar; the 'a' is for AMK, which is the date that the dwarves received the AMK, although this is truthfully the date that the AMK was written down as there were several thousands of years in which the AMK was kept orally which are unrecorded even by our dwarven calendar. We all met in a small tavern in just outside The Forest Retreat of Dropletbudded, an elven port along The Admired Continents hidden in The Beloved Jungle. Kogan had a ship which we had all put in to purchase and we nearly ready to make our voyage back to where our people had long ago set to root in the Pillarspark. The elves detested the ship because it was made of lumber and so we were not welcome in their city and were forced to put the ship ashore up the beach from the port; of course we never were welcome having been frequently the subject of several cannibalistic elven inquisitions against any who followed AMK. The humans were nicer and then again much worse being so short lived that they were seemingly chaotic to some of the older dwarves and they too would rob us when they had the chance for quick riches or trade us to The Strange Monster as a sort of offering in lieu of being assaulted.

Our ship was loaded with all that we could muster to afford between us, myself having put up the entirety of the capital for the expedition's essentials and the rest with what they could not part with. We took some animals as well and some petrified wooden blocks from the dragon scorched ruins of the Rooffurwhich I had kept safe as is the tradition of the second born of the Seegil clan last of the Clasp of Chants. In the morning we left and sailed for seven days before a fog overcame us. Kogan was able to still navigate by focusing the sun crystal, but progress was slow as we made our way due north.14

On the twelfth day a storm struck our boat and the sun crystal we used to navigate was knocked over board. No one blamed Kogan for it was during these lost years that AMK,  The True Lord forced us to cast aside our false idles. The first among us was Kogan as she shed her idols of Mashus overboard fourteen days since we had left port while in the eye of the hurricane that took us and bellowed, "A-M-K BE PRAISED FOR OUR DELIVERANCE IS AT HAND!" and a thundering struck across the sky which blotted out the morning sun and the idols of Buzat that Iton and Rigoth held lite ablaze in flame although it was made of stone along with the idols of Orshar held by Cerol and Momuz and the idols of Conngim held by Zasit and the idols of Eral held by Lorbam. All of which were cast overboard and although the water would normally consume them they continued to burn until there was no more not even smoke escaped the holy flame of AMK the blessed who led us, The True Lord after our wondering. The eye of the hurricane passed then AMK roared to create mountains in the sea. Our ship fell down and rolled over each one, these would our mountains and as the day darkened with the overcast of the hurricane we came to learn through the will of AMK how to climb them. We spent then forty years without hope in an unescapable blue desert interrupted by black skies and cliff-faces of water. The mountains we now knew now were not stone but of water which was just as hard on our rough skin and soul.

The salt of the sea found a hold in the cuts that form after the sun, the curse of the Castle, blistered it to burst and this was the punishment of AMK upon his people for following the false gods of man and elf for through this we will always remember who caused us to be destroyed. The fish would jump aboard our ship without cause and fed us and this was the blessing of AMK upon his people so that they would be sustained despite our falseness. This was the story of our people for forty years as we wondered the sea our desert of mountains without a handhold.

At the end of these forty years our ship was crashed in the twilight of sunset when it is hard to see upon the rocks of an island15 clouded in smoke and brimstone. The water was turned white through the smoke and threatened to dash us against the rocks a second time and so Iton urged us to pull the ship ashore. Still it was violent at the tide came the threaten us after but an hour of respite so once again we labored to pull the wreckage of our ship further up the cliff of the shore. Then again we did this time after time for twelve full hours up and up high and higher as the tide rose at our feet, this was an unnatural tide Kogan who was the expert of the sea would come to remark as it has thrust us several stories above the normal sea level of any island; but this was the work of The True Lord and after the twelfth hour it drove us once more as the voice of The True Lord rained fire down up on all around us so that we would be purified before AMK. Although we were unharmed by this sundering Iton urged us on upward away from the red hot rage that poured forth from The Mouth of The True Lord16 until we were upon the upper lip and this is where we rested; for if AMK should want his people to work for twelve hours then we should want to work for two more for we are the people of AMK of stone, steel and sea!

In the morning of the next day after The True Lord finished dispelling the falseness created by The Strange Monster to enslaved his people we awoke and named our new island after AMK, but because we never in name should refer to AMK fully for AMK is blessed and to be revered for AMK is great and the powerful and for AMK voice is so holy that not even the full name of AMK can be truly spoke for we the people of AMK have seen the rage of AMK and felt the blessings of AMK and heard the voice of AMK on this day!

In the night I made us a symbol to mark our arrival and seeing the light from our sun encircled by the smoke and fire of AMK's blessings.17 Meanwhile Iton took Momuz around the Island to scout for a suitable location for us to build our Fortress while Rigoth looked for game and Kogan marked off trees to be cut down. After midday the part all returned to the hulk of our ship to eat lunch and discuss what we had all done. Iton and Momuz found a suitable location to build our courtyard naming it The Crown of The True Lord18 and we would wall it off and build a temporary settlement along with a trade depot there until we could construct a bridge to The Finger of The True Lord19 which would lead down into the permanent Fortress. We dwarves have been beset by several large monsters in the past, most of which could fly so there was some debate about using the mountain top as a location but Momuz assured us the stone under The Finger was solid and prime for building into so we agreed for now so that Momuz could start planning. Kogan meanwhile marked off the trees in the Crown and the trees around The Finger. Although lumber was not exactly dwarfish material to make things out of it would have to do for now. We were shipwrecked here by our Lord AMK so I am sure they will provide for us once we dig deep. Rigoth meanwhile found a nice little lagoon20 that might prove useful and is fun to swim in. We named it the Bath of The True Lord.

The remaining portion of the day was spent sketching plans and mapping the rest of the island.

EDIT: Map of the forty years of wondering: https://ibb.co/cCPmMn

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:04:12 pm by Heydan »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of the Castle: A New Dwarven Hope
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:09:40 pm »

Wrong Forum, I think.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Heydan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:10:25 pm »

Oops, do you know where it belongs then or how I can move it?

Also if anyone can suggest a better image hosting site for forums. I'd like to have my screen shots show-up on the page rather than as a link to them. I just dunno what services are out there for it.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:29:52 pm »

Also if anyone can suggest a better image hosting site for forums. I'd like to have my screen shots show-up on the page rather than as a link to them. I just dunno what services are out there for it.
Community games, and I recommend putting it on Imgur and posting the image url between [img] tags.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:21:12 pm »

Sounds like this is like a rolling report. "Community game" generally means one of two things:

1) Succession game, which means you had one save file over to the next guy on a rolling basis (sometimes adventure mode).
2) Community game, where about one person plays but there's significant community input such as moderate-to-heavy roleplaying. Not just "man, you need another adamantine well" or "you could just set that artefact bituminous coal window on fire".

The last one's hard to judge but Archcrystal is on this forum and not community games. If this is more of a "show off your world and fort" it seems to belong here. If you want to create a separate thread so we can get to play as a succession or community game where we put in a lot of input to what should be happening (including role-play).

So I think you're OK if you're just doing it not-in-character. But there is some continuous and rolling role-play (as in, lots of updates and not just a once-off or twice-off report in-character) which there might be, you might want to shift it. If you want to move this thread for any reason I think only Threetoe or Toady One can do that, maybe send them a PM.

PROTIP:
https://image.ibb.co/kGnjrn/Coronation.png is the format you need for links if you want to make the image show up properly. It needs the link to the actual image file on the website not the hosting page, so if your link ends in a .png or similar extension you'll be OK. It won't cause youtube videos to display though I think... for now (but it will display .gif files). This is regardless of the website you're actually posting on.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:25:20 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:56:23 pm »

Sounds like this is like a rolling report. "Community game" generally means one of two things:

1) Succession game, which means you had one save file over to the next guy on a rolling basis (sometimes adventure mode).
2) Community game, where about one person plays but there's significant community input such as moderate-to-heavy roleplaying. Not just "man, you need another adamantine well" or "you could just set that artefact bituminous coal window on fire".

The last one's hard to judge but Archcrystal is on this forum and not community games. If this is more of a "show off your world and fort" it seems to belong here. If you want to create a separate thread so we can get to play as a succession or community game where we put in a lot of input to what should be happening (including role-play).

So I think you're OK if you're just doing it not-in-character. But there is some continuous and rolling role-play (as in, lots of updates and not just a once-off or twice-off report in-character) which there might be, you might want to shift it. If you want to move this thread for any reason I think only Threetoe or Toady One can do that, maybe send them a PM.

PROTIP:
https://image.ibb.co/kGnjrn/Coronation.png is the format you need for links if you want to make the image show up properly. It needs the link to the actual image file on the website not the hosting page, so if your link ends in a .png or similar extension you'll be OK. It won't cause youtube videos to display though I think... for now (but it will display .gif files). This is regardless of the website you're actually posting on.
Archcystal was put here because Sethatos saw bationgate and thought that this was were to put it, wasn't it? I could be wrong.

Heydan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:03 pm »

PROTIP:

Thanks for the tip, I broke some of them for right now, but I will handle that shortly.

I was going to probably keep the RP going. Can I move the thread myself or should I just create a new one?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:13:19 pm »

As the original poster, there is a way to "move" a thread somewhere in the bottom right. 
It functions as close and locking the current thread and puts a link to the new thread with prior posts on the new board.