Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stay or Move: Career advice, life advice ... moving? please.  (Read 1674 times)

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile

The place I currently work for (on hopefully long term, renewable contract), is expanding to four cities in four states:

Albuquerque NM,
Phoenix AZ,
New Orleans LA,
Boston MA.

These areas would be cross country and cross cultural moves for me, pretty live changing, even if I could maybe transfer back.... I'm a contractor, people like me and my work where I am, but there's always worry.... Working as an actual employee would be fantastic.... Other options .... Where I currently live isn't great, between two metro areas (significant commute, but yeah). Also, things haven't been great for years, though I've managed.

If I apply for these positions, I imagine I'll probably take a pay cut and have to move cross country, probably long term, maybe... maybe with the chance to transfer back in a while. I don't know.
I'm not sure what to do.

Boston seems expensive, but I might like it there, winters aside (I could handle cold).
New Mexico is a cold desert. (and I hear it has some issues of its own? https://www.bestplaces.net/city/new_mexico/albuquerque)
Phoenix is a hot desert (and expensive)
I'm not moving to New Orleans. I'm sorry but no, I ... I just can't.

Notably, the office I am at is looking to hire 6 to 8 people and I would SURE apply for that. It's not guaranteed. I know they want to fill these new positions at new offices. I feel like it's a double edged sword. If I apply to the other areas, they might just toss me out there (assuming I get the job). If I wait and apply here, there's not guarantee I'll get a spot. I want to work for this place where I am in the location I am. I'm from here.... That said.... This is the best job outcome I can really reasonably think of for a long while actually. I also have a (piece of crap) little house I'd have to sell here or rent out?

Ideas? Please.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:25:34 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Stay or Move: Career advice, life advice ... moving? please.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:21:29 pm »

I kind of feel staying would be a better option, as the way you are talking about those positions they would be a step down.
To ellaborate
If I apply for these positions, I imagine I'll probably take a pay cut and have to move cross country, probably long term, maybe... maybe with the chance to transfer back in a while
I'd never agree to a paycut in exchange for moving (much less for moving to more expensive or less pleasant places). I'd not assume at all that a transfer back is in the books. I've seen this happen: often if you are gone you are gone for good (or not quite for good, but its unlikely that your comeback will be straighforward if it happens at all)

I'd say: wait for the positions at your current office or else apply to leave but demand a raise.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 07:30:06 pm »

Good point.

I should actually clarify. IF I get in, the pay is structured so I'd make what I am now in 2 years (then it tops back out). Still... ouch.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 05:39:08 pm »

Ok, odd question follow up.

They posted the local job listing, and told us in person (they put on an internal presentation about applying for jobs) that it was cool to put in extra documents. This this is expressly limited to the first 50 applications they get. It posted at 9AM today, and I had it filled out by 6:20 PM today.... It accepted it but as for the website:

Then you go to submit and it only accepts 3 things
A.) Resume
B.) License
C.) Transcripts....

???

Weird. Overall, I don't even know why they went into that thing about other documents. Also, my resume references a glowing letter of recommendation from my old boss, and my current boss wanted me to list him as a reference. There's no place for either of these things. I have the following choices:
1.) Ask HR what's going on.
2.) Try to resubmit with links embedded, posting my stuff to 3rd party site (though this may screw things up)?
3.) Just leave it as is.

The world is weird; I don't get it; just trying for a job here. Any advice?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 06:01:38 pm »

Go for 1. Write them a formal letter.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 05:43:22 pm »

"A cover letter isn't going to get you a job here. Your advantage is that people know you here. The truth? It doesn't assure you anything, but it doesn't hurt."

Well, I'm doing good in productivity, I haven't pissed anyone off. I've solved 1 or 2 problems. Here's hoping. From what I can tell. They're possibly increasing the number to 10. Also they limited the list of applicants and will pick a certain number of people from there to interview. By raw numbers, I've got about a 1 in 3 chance of getting interviewed. After that I've got a raw chance of getting hired of about 1 in 30, because that's about how many interviews there are. Even then, there are 10 positions for those 30 applicants who get interviews, so that's still 1/3 by numbers without any other factors. I'm hoping.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 02:46:34 pm »

Never, ever take a pay cut. I've worked in various industries across the world, and taking a paycut is universal language for  'I'm not even doing a good enough job to be continue to be paid what I am'.

They'll make it sound like a good move, and they'll make it sound like you'll get valuable experience and be able to move up soon and all the rest, but none of that is going to happen. Sure, some people will jump in now and say 'I took a paycut and did great afterwards' - but I guarantee their management won't be thinking that, and they'd have had the same success without that paycut, and probably a lot more besides.

It's different if you decide to change industry or (in some circumstances) company, but otherwise flatly refuse to work for less.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 02:53:46 pm »

Never, ever take a pay cut. I've worked in various industries across the world, and taking a paycut is universal language for  'I'm not even doing a good enough job to be continue to be paid what I am'.

They'll make it sound like a good move, and they'll make it sound like you'll get valuable experience and be able to move up soon and all the rest, but none of that is going to happen. Sure, some people will jump in now and say 'I took a paycut and did great afterwards' - but I guarantee their management won't be thinking that, and they'd have had the same success without that paycut, and probably a lot more besides.

It's different if you decide to change industry or (in some circumstances) company, but otherwise flatly refuse to work for less.

Quoted for truth. In healthcare my experience is this. Giving way and accepting lower rank posts/lower pay/more work for same money? Recipe for more crap down the line. The message it sends is that they can try to so it again