Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engage/Stand Ground/Disengage squad menu toggle (or something like that)  (Read 741 times)

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since we are at the tail end of the army arc, I figured now is definitely the time to ask for this.

Can we have some sort of control option in fortress mode which allows players to a) prevent archers from pathing into melee, b) move troops out of a fight and c) station troops in a position and have them stay roughly in that position, even when enemies are visible.

My suggested solution would be thus:

Have a button in the squad menu which cycles between 3 options:
  • Engage (default) - this is how military units normally behave now
  • Stand Ground - units only path towards hostiles that are within a certain distance of the station order (say 5 tiles or so).  This distance respects pathability i.e. they won't run around* a 50 tile long fortification to hit something just on the opposite side.  Units still fire bolts at visible enemies or attack enemies within reach, as normal.  While moving towards a station order they do not path towards or attack hostiles if those hostiles are not close to the station order, and they hold fire with projectile weapons until they reach the station order.
  • Disengage - units do not attack, fire projectiles at or path towards hostiles.  They simply path towards the station order and stand at it while making no attempt to fight.
Kill orders do not respect this toggle, and are carried out as normal.

Since I am fairly unfamiliar with other unit controls like "defend burrows" scheduling and such, I will leave it to others to suggest how (if at all) this hypothetical "engage toggle" should function with them.

*they might climb over it to reach an enemy on the other side if it is climbable, but since the enemy can also climb over a simple fortification I am happy to pin that problem on the player, not the fortress UI.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I expect the Formations updates will be something along these lines, yeah. Probably a lot more involved (like everything else). Sadly looks like they won't make it in during this set of army arc updates (fotf reply yesterday).

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be nice if archers would resupply rather than engage in melee when they run out of arrows if the enemy is still at a good distance.