Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* Finished. Feedback welcome  (Read 6422 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

Ruin

I thought of a combat system that could be used in an RTD, but I wanted to test it with a small group of people before I invest in making lore, etc. Here are some perks to the system:
-New Players can jump in at any point, and inactive players are not too much of a detriment.
-Positional strategy is very important, but not too complex to keep track of.
-Characters do get more powerful the longer they survive, but can still be killed rather quickly if caught in a bad place. Should keep you on your toes.
-Teamwork is very important.

I am looking for at least three people to test this combat system out, with at least one of each class. If more people want to join, you can post a character sheet at any point. I'll find a way to fit you in.

Combat

There will be 2 teams of characters: Your team, and the enemy. Each team has all their members take a turn at the same time. Each player will get 2 action points per turn. Those may be spent on Movement actions, Combat actions, or bonus actions. You can mix and match those points as you wish. (For example, you can move and attack, move twice, attack twice, move and bonus, etc.) I will discuss how each of those actions works in their own sections. First I need to explain how the battlefield works.

Battlefield
All battles will take place on a 1-dimentional battlefield. Each character will be on a certain numbered "row" of the battlefield at all times, and movement consists of moving up and down the rows. Row 1 of the battlefield is the back of the players army, while row 9 would be the back of the enemy army. Characters will move among the rows and when two characters are on the same row, the potential for melee combat begins. If two characters become engaged in melee, they will typically be stuck together until one of the characters dies, or some coordinated relief by allies separates them. (or if neither character wants to be in melee)

Movement Actions
Characters engaged in melee may not move unless they first spend a movement point to disengage from each enemy (if engaged with multiple enemies, each one must have a movement point spent on disengagement.)
Movement points may be spent on the following actions:
-moving forward or backward one row, and optionally engaging in melee with a single enemy on that new row.
-engaging in melee with a single enemy on your current row
-disengaging from melee from a single enemy. (you stay on your current row)

To use a movement action, simply state "move up one row and engage enemy 2" or something else easily interpreted by me.

Combat Actions
Each character will have a set list of potential attacks, based on their class and level. (higher level characters will get access to more attacks) You can spend one combat point to perform a specific attack. You must be engaged in melee to use a melee attack, and you must not be engaged in melee to use a ranged attack. Each attack has a set damage, which is modified by a d6 dice roll as follows:

1: Miss, and the opponent gets a free attack (if able)
2: Miss
3: Half Damage
4: Full Damage
5: Double Damage
6: Triple Damage, and the opponent gets a free attack (if able)

Some attacks have a modifier that adjust the dice roll up or down. However, these adjustments can only bring a roll down to a 2, and up to a 5. If a 1 or 6 was rolled, that roll is final, regardless of any modifiers. (For example, if someone rolled a 5, but their attack had a +1 modifier, the roll remains a 5. If they had rolled a 4, the attack would have become a 5 because of the modifier.) If you rolled a 1, or a 6, the enemy will get a free attack following the same formula. At the end, the damage dealt is taken from the respective character's HP, and the attack ends. If you were engaged in melee, you will remain engaged in melee. Only a movement point can disengage you from melee.

To do a combat action, simply state the attack you wish to use (attacks are listed in the class details), and the target character.

Bonus actions
Bonus actions are any actions not covered in the previous two. They will usually involve the character trying to get an advantage in future turns. (Some example of Bonus actions are: climb a tower, let out a war cry, find some cover, bandage my wound, etc.) These actions are resolved by standard RTD dice rolls. If the action is a success, a relevant bonus will be given to the player (Using the previous examples, possible bonuses are: +1 movement point required to engege in melee with this character, +1 to next attack roll, -1 to ranged attacks on this character, +10 HP, etc.) More difficult actions will require a higher roll , while easier actions will require a lower roll. This will be decided by me. But in general, the rolls are as follows:

1: Epic fail. You fail your action so hard that you get a relevant debuff instead.
2: Total fail. You fail to make any progress on what you were attempting. Nothing happens.
3: Partial success. You make some progress on your intended goal, but it might require another try. Might work completely for easier actions
4: Mostly success. You do what you wanted to do, and now have a relevant bonus. Might not work for harder actions
5: Complete success. You are guaranteed success on whatever you were trying to do.
6: Overshoot. You succeed in your goal, and succeed so well that some other random bonus is gained.

To use a bonus action, describe what action you want to do, with an optional description of what bonus you are hoping to achieve (I will take that into account. If you don't give me a bonus wish, I will make up a relevant bonus) For example, "Breathe deeply to calm my nerves for the next shot"

Characters
Every point of damage dealt to a character reduces that character's HP by that amount. If a character's HP reaches 0, they are dead. Death in this game will be permanent, however, due to the structure of the game, it is very simple to create a new character and join back in the next battle. Health can be regained fully at each level up, and can also be increased by some bonus actions.
Every point of damage dealt by a character grants that character an equivalent amount of both experience and loot. experience goes towards a character's level up. Once a character level's up, they gain more health, and are fully healed. They also gain access to more attacks once the battle is over. Loot is used in between battles to upgrade one's equipment, and learn new attacks.

Classes

This game will feature 3 classes for the players, and the normal enemies. All characters of a class will have the same options as each other. Boss enemies will not fall under a specific class, but their information will be known to all.

Warrior
The Warrior class has no ranged attacks, but deals massive damage. In addition, they have armor which lowers the damage of incoming attacks. They wreck archers if they can get in range, but mages counter them.

Archer
The Archer class has strong, long ranged attacks that deal considerable damage. However, their melee attacks are all very weak. They are great at killing mages, but get destroyed by warriors.

Mage
The mage class has weak medium-ranged attacks that ignore armor. They are also good at keeping enemies away from their position. They are well suited to fight Warriors, but struggle to deal with archers.

Those are all the mechanics involved in combat. There are several mechanics that take place in between battles, but for the sake of this test, i will spare you the details. I would like at least three players to join, with at least one character per class. I will run two test battles, one against an enemy of similar characters, and one against a single boss character. If you have any questions, or suggestions for how to improve the combat system, please let me know. But if you would like to join, please fill out the following character sheet:

Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  current characters (click to show/hide)

Updates will happen sporadically, since I don't have constant access to a computer. I can respond to questions or comments from my phone, but updates will only happen when I have computer access.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:32:49 pm by origamiscienceguy »
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* (0/3+)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:52:00 pm »

:D

Name: Subject 2 ("Sub")

Class: Archer

General Role-playing information: Something something Aperture Science, blah Perpetual Testing Initiative blah, [words]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:32:35 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* (0/3+)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:22:39 pm »

Name: Cpt. Winters

Class: Warrior

General Role-playing information: It's the captain, follow his lead!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* (2/3+)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:28:32 pm »

Alright, you two veterans are in.

I hope you like the changes I made from To Glory. The changes made army vs. army battles possible, while hopefully greatly reducing frustration.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:16:21 pm »

I'm honored to be called a "veteran", but I don't believe I participated in To Glory myself, thereby invalidating my veteran status.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:26:59 pm »

I'll round out the trio

Name: Ezekial "Zeke" Ruyn

Class: Mage

Addition info: TBR
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ruin: Cooperative RTD *Combat Test* (3/3+)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:59:15 am »

Turn 0

The three of you are suddenly yanked from your probably-interesting lives, and unexpectedly thrust into a combat situation. Across the field are three people that look very similar to you, but they are most definitely evil. You just have to kill them.

Battlefield
Code: [Select]
Row 9: Warrior 1, Archer 1, Mage 1
Row 8:
Row 7:
Row 6:
Row 5:
Row 4:
Row 3:
Row 2:
Row 1: Sub (archer), Winters (Warrior), Zeke (mage)

Status

Good Guys
Spoiler: Subject 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cpt. Winters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ezekial Ruyn (click to show/hide)

Bad Guys
Spoiler:  Warrior 1 (click to show/hide)

You guys go first. You guys can post your turns in any order, but when the turn is calculated, all movement actions happen at the same time, followed by attacks. Damage is dealt at the same time, and once that is done, bonus actions are done. (I am considering switching bonus and combat actions, let me know what you think.) Anyways, *GLaDOS voice* "It is time to begin the test"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:01:51 pm by origamiscienceguy »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 12:03:38 pm »

Move up one row, then find a location that doesn’t restrict my ability to shoot, but makes it harder to hit me with other ranged attacks.

EDIT: Ruyn is a mage.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 12:56:45 pm »

"Target in sight, advance!" Move up one row, then attempt to find some cover.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:12:07 pm »

Move up one row and seek cover.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 04:25:47 pm »

Turn 1

The three of you react first, cautiously moving up this generic field towards the enemy.

Turns

Good Guys
Sub: Move up one row, find cover [1]: You Dash forward, and lean on the slope of a large mound. From this position, You will be difficult to hit. It takes you all of 10 seconds to realize that the mound was actually an anthill, and you were now covered in ants. You scramble off the mound, and swipe as many of the crawling monstrosities off of your body as you can. Your position is now more exposed than normal (+1 to ranged attacks against your position for 1 turn)

Winters Move up one row, find cover [4]: You jog towards a large tree trunk, rattling your armor as you go. You twist your body at the last second to slam your back into the tree, and wait a moment to catch your breath before preparing to move again. (-1 to ranged attacks against your position while you stay in this spot)

Zeke Move up one row, find cover [1]: You run as fast as you can towards a small picket fence in the field, and try to mimick Winters' technique of slamming youreslf to a stop. Unfortunately, the fence cannot take your fat body slamming into it, and it collapses. You now have no cover, and your back is to the enemy. (+1 to ranged attacks against your position for 1 turn)

Bad Guys
Archer 1 Move down one row, power shot Zeke (5-1+1) = [5]: 140 Damage! The archer sees the confused mage in the open, and launches an arrow as hard as he can. The arrow flies high, but straight. It plows down into the back of Zeke's neck, shattering through his spine before stopping at his sternum. The mage didn't even feel any pain. He simply collapsed.
Zeke is dead
Level Up!

Warrior 1 Move down 2 rows

Mage 1 Move down 2 rows

Battlefield
Code: [Select]
Row 9:
Row 8: Archer 1
Row 7: Warrior 1,  Mage 1
Row 6:
Row 5:
Row 4:
Row 3:
Row 2: Sub (archer), Winters (Warrior)
Row 1: Zeke 2 (mage)

Status

Good Guys
Spoiler: Subject 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cpt. Winters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ezekial Ruyn's clone (click to show/hide)

Bad Guys
Spoiler:  Archer 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Mage 1 (click to show/hide)

Oof. Already the first death. That was on account of 2 unlucky rolls though. I do want to make sure mages work properly, so I'll let your guy's clone appear back on row 1 again.
Just as a reminder, you can attack twice if you don't move. But so can the enemy!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:01:19 pm by origamiscienceguy »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 04:32:14 pm »

Stop being exposed, and take a power shot at the mage.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 05:15:21 pm »

"Move and cover, move and cover!"
encourage my teammates to be evasive and return fire against the enemy!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 05:21:35 pm »

Are you moving? I can’t quite make out what your other action is.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 05:24:53 pm »

Move up one row and get cover.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8