Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.47.X]Hand of Darkness (v0.9)  (Read 1765 times)

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
[0.47.X]Hand of Darkness (v0.9)
« on: February 05, 2020, 06:46:59 pm »

THE
HAND OF DARKNESS
... Passed over the land, leaving naught but death and dread in its wake...
(Version 0.9, for Dwarf Fortress version 0.47.1 and up.)

First of all, thank you for taking a look at my mod.
Hi, this is my first released Dwarf Fortress mod, so bear with me there may be some rough spots.
With that said, this is actually a rather small and simple mod that i made of almost exclusively 0.47 features, so needless to say, it won't work on 0.44.12.

I intended this to serve as a sort of an example mod for 0.47 modding features while still being a mod that actually adds some fun gameplay. With that in mind, i wanted to get the mod out relatively quickly, so a caveat of that fast release cycle is there's been very little testing, aside from basic Arena Mode combat tests. So it's highly probable that the balance is way off for some things. If you find something in play that is totally out of whack, please tell me so that i may fix it.

I'm not about to make you read through a lengthy text if you just want the mod, you can get it from here:

[Download Hand of Darkness(v0.9) from DFFD]
The best way to support this mod is on my Patre... nah i'm just kidding, i don't have one, never will. But for real,
The best way to support this mod and it's further development is to show interest in this mod, download it, play with it, give me feedback, ideas and report bugs.

Installation:
  • Download the zip.
  • Open the zip.
  • Open the "(47.X)Hand of Darkness V0.9" folder.
  • Copy the contents of the folder directly into your Dwarf Fortress directory.(the same folder where Dwarf Fortress.exe is)

Note, The only reason you can get a prompt to overwrite files is if you're updating from a prior version of this mod. This mod does not overwrite vanilla files.

Uninstallation:
All this mod's files are prefixed with "HoD" so just delete all of them that you find in either the "raw" or "data" folders.
A readme file is included with an overview of the folder structure.

Contents

So, what's this mod actually about? It's a creature mod consisting of original-ish and somewhat tougher than usual monsters, with the theme of DAAAARKNESSsssss
That is, dark creatures, creatures in dark places and in some cases, creatures with dark thoughts. It's mostly the Fantasy kind of "Darkness", rather than "Grimdark".

Here's what the mod contains:

Spoiler: Civs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: other (click to show/hide)

I will admit, the mod is a bit bare-bones right now...

Compatibility

DARK_EVIL will use creatures with EVIL_PET and EVIL_PET_ALWAYS creature classes as pets. So you can add one of those classes to any creature if you want them to be able to be used by my Dark Evil civ.
Beyond that, the only possible compatibility conflict may happen if my mod and someone else's uses the same internal name for a creature or whatever.

Recent changes

This is the first release.

Known issues

Immobile summoned creatures appear to be kind of... sluggish in Dwarf Mode. They don't use their interactions as frequently as they should.

Future plans

Experimenting with experiments.
Another creature for Dark evil.
Various refinements.
Porting GoD.
some references to other games.
More original creatures

Permissions
I have to include this section, otherwise people will think that i disallow them from doing stuff with this mod. Quite the contrary, in fact:

I encourage you to put this mod in modpacks, modify it, whatever, you don't need my permission. Attribution would be nice, as would notifying me if you include the mod elsewhere, if only so that i can track this mod's travel/reach.
The only thing i'd ask that you NOT do, is claim my mod as your own.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 06:56:18 pm by Strik3r »
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Taras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.47.X]Hand of Darkness (v0.9)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 07:06:42 pm »

You make non-generated demon who not cause crash?! Really? Awesome!

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 07:11:49 pm »

You make [REDACTED] who not cause crash?! Really? Awesome!
Shh... goddamnit. j/k

Also, like i said, very little testing, have not actually encoutered in play, so don't know if it will crash. Hopefully not.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 01:20:03 am »

Looks promising, the creatures in particular seem intriguing while also not being terribly out of place in an otherwise vanilla DF world. Definitely trying it out when I get time. :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 02:11:26 am »

Looks promising, the creatures in particular seem intriguing while also not being terribly out of place in an otherwise vanilla DF world. Definitely trying it out when I get time. :)

i sort of try to keep things vanilla-like if i can, yeah. Unless i'm ever going to be making a TC(getting some big dreams here already lol), its gonna be at least vaguely fitting with vanilla. Although there was that one idea for a "Mechanism Beast"... It got replaced because no amount of magic can explain a medieval steampunk robot lol.