Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Minecart stomper: question

(1/2) > >>

DiacetylMorphine:
Hey fellow dwarves, in relation to this bug : http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6068 I had the idea to weaponise the thing. The basic idea would be an halway two tiles large with loaded minecart falling on the floor above and reseting automaticly. I was wondering whether someone might have an idea to make the halway larger (3 tiles need to have a system to get the midles cart back on top). And also if anyone know some tricks to get pulling the minecart up easy.

I'll probably give update if i manage to make it work.

PatrikLundell:
First verify if the functionality is still present. If so, I'd first try landing on an impulse ramp, and if that doesn't work, onto rollers, and if that doesn't work, onto a pressure plate that sets off a mine cart that pushes both.

Larix:
I last tried it out in, i think 0.44.03? Worked fine, although it was a pure testing rig, not intended for military use:

Minecart stuff is in the spoiler.

Testing is a good idea, but chances are pretty good that the bug's still present.

Landing space is of no concern - ramps work fine, hatches work fine, i see no reason why rollers or plates should give trouble.

The main issue is getting the cart(s) re-launched fast enough that the targets get hit somewhat reliably; if you have a 30+ step return time, you have about a 1/3 chance of hitting a creature walking underneath, about 1/10 for a running creature; obviously, the solution to that problem is making the percussion corridor (much) longer, but i don't know what kind of construction cost you're willing to bear.

Sutremaine:
Bug still works, but creatures dodge. Falling onto rollers is no problem. When I was testing mine, I found that stationing three dwarves underneath the drop tile would only cause a fatality when the three of them were standing next to each other and leaving the middle dwarf no empty space to move to. Creatures will also dodge lighter minecarts dropped from two levels up.

Sutremaine:
The bug still works, but creatures dodge. Falling onto rollers is no problem. When I was testing mine, I found that stationing three dwarves underneath the drop tile would only cause a fatality when the three of them were standing next to each other and leaving the middle dwarf no empty space to move to. Creatures will also dodge lighter minecarts dropped from two levels up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version