Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

My whole fortress is broken again

(1/4) > >>

CyberianK:
I am totally depressed again with this game. Somehow all my fortresses break down totally.
A while ago I posted in this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=170098.0
that my forts in the past all died FPS death.

Following some of the advice in that thread I am now fine on the FPS front. I have few animals only 50 dwarfs, 2x2 embark, no flowing water, disabled temperature and sparse vegatation. I am 6 years in at about 70-80 FPS most of the time. Current game is 44.09 x64 manual install only added utilities are DFHack and Spacefox tileset.  But now another issue that I always had in all of my previous forts has returned and what lead me to stop playing Dwarf Fortress in the past.

Somehow the whole pathfinding in my fort is breaking down.

Like I have a finished goods stockpile with many bone crafts and gems right next to my trade depot.
But I somehow can't manually mark them for Trade with Shift+T

Nor can I select them manually for Move for trade inside the Trade Depot the crafts just aren't available not even in All category.

there should be tons of crafts between those distances but rhere aren't

Then I have 9 minecarts filled with Magma near the magma sea:

I deleted the stockpile below them. They should be moved to a stockpile near the surface. And I assigned one to a hauling route but nothing is happening for months. The area is clearly pathable I even dug out the second access to the upper left but this did not help.

Then also I occasionally have workshoüps that can't access materials that are available. I have no idea its not that I am a noob I have played the game for hundreds of hours, read the wiki for ages and I don't have locked doors or something which is to blame or too many items I regularly smash with atomsmasher not did I do strange pathing sins. This game does not like me.

Dunamisdeos:
Sounds like a noble prohibited some of the goods in the bins that those goods reside in. At least that's what it usually is for me.

Hit [m] in the trade depot screen to include mandate-restricted items.

Loci:
Items in bins are not listed individually in the trade depot goods screen--you need to select and move the whole bin (which, by default, won't appear if any item in the bin would violate a mandate). Additionally, bins are bugged in that every store item in bin job blocks access to all other items in the bin until the job is complete. That bug tends to cause many workshop cancellations when all your supplies are stored in one bin.

As for the magma carts, magma sets tiles to injuriously high temperatures. With temperature calculations disabled, those tiles will never cool down, and your dwarves won't set foot in those tiles while they're hot. Enabling temperature calculations should resolve the problem quickly.

mikekchar:
The safest thing to do is to avoid using both bins and barrels.  This will solve a really ridiculous number of problems.  At first that sounds like crazy advice, but you really don't need them   Often people will stockpile years and years of food.  Or they will make 10x more items than they need.  I don't even use QSPs and I have absolutely no trouble without containers.  It's slightly less efficient when hauling large amounts of goods, but the biggest problem I have in my fortresses is unemployment anyway.   If you *do* decide to use containers then you really need to understand all the bugs and anti-features.  You also need to really micro manage your stockpiles because a general stockpile with bins and barrels is a recipe for the problem you are running into.

CyberianK:
Yeah I was aware of problems with bins. Unfortunately I did not look that indeed one of the nobles had a ban on exporting bins :)
In my world dwarven civilisation and elven one have been killed by goblins and beasts so I am mountainhome.
Also thanks @Loci it was disabled temperature with my magma minecarts.

With magma smelter I can now reduce my stockpiles and autodump/automelt the useless stuff away. I am reducing bins and pots everywhere. Only thing I still use them for is drinks and ammo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version