Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mottled Petrel's Fungus Expanion (1.02)  (Read 15996 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Mottled Petrel's Fungus Expanion (1.02)
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »

Throughout my years of playing Dwarf Fortress I have always had issues with the plant system. Grow plump helmets and you never have to worry about food or drink, send out unskilled nobodies out into the woods and they come back with their hands overflowing with edible plants, no poisonous plants, plants can't really be used for much other than dye and thread, most plants are incredibly cheap and you can feed your whole fort off of a few rough gems' worth of food, only a few types of mushrooms, the list goes on. This mod works to fix these issues in addition to adding much more variety and functionality to the world's flora without just adding reskined plump helmets. Most of the mushrooms added by this mod are true to actual existing species of mushroom or are based off of existing mushrooms with extra added features to make them more game friendly. Some prominent features include:

1. Poisonous mushrooms
2. Completely useless mushrooms
3. Mushrooms that grow in very specific climates for only one or a few seasons, instead of the usual 'Grows everywhere all the time'
4. Mushrooms that can be refined into usable items, like a more dwarvenly method of how elves grow their tools, because instead of 'communing with nature' or 'asking the trees nicely' its more of a 'tearing nature up from its roots and forcing it to do our bidding'
5. Mushrooms that can be refined into ingots
6. A number of new dyes
7. Growable weapons (mushrooms that can be refined into weapons)
8. New mushroom 'grasses' that turn the monotonous green grass landscape into a more realistic and appealing terrain
9. Psychotropic mushrooms
And much more to come as I work on it!

As it currently stands, there is much more I intend to do with this mod. It is currently at the point where there is enough content for me to release it and there to be a noticeable difference to the game, but I hope to get to the point where there are a substantial amount of new reactions, all normal plants can be removed and you can effectively survive in any biome in any season off of mushrooms, and possibly some fungus creatures and civilizations after I finish with the plants.

I encourage you to go in blind and try to weed out the poisonous and useless mushrooms from the edible and useful ones, but for those who want to know what they're getting into (like me) I have included a list that I intend to update as more mushrooms get added.

Buildings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edible Mushrooms

Mushroom Grasses (Not that they really matter)

Poisonous Mushrooms (I've been having trouble balancing them because there are generally REALLY inconsistent reports as to what the actual symptoms of poisonings are other than 'just avoid it', so these might take a while to implement)

Psychotropic Mushrooms

Useful Mushrooms

Useless Mushrooms (These are probably going to be minimal as I work to get the more useful and fun mushrooms added first)

Reactions are described under Useful Mushrooms, and have been given to the dwarves in the supplied entity file. Of course, for those like me who like to use mix mods I have also supplied a document with all of the reactions. Just copy and past them into what ever civilization you want.

Useful tips:
1. Currently (and probably forever), most mushrooms are going to be found in temperate conifer forests, seconded by temperate broadleaf
2. Mushrooms based off of existing ones have their scientific name in the files for those who really want to play it safe, but be warned that I have taken creative license on some of them based off of their names and niches that needed to be filled in the game
3. You might want to be a bit more cautious about what plants you let into the fort, accidentally eating some of these things is a death sentence
4. Please DO NOT use this mod to determine edibility of real mushrooms. I have generally been true to what is and is not edible, but everyone's body handles mushroom toxins differently

Finally, I'd just like to say that updates probably aren't going to be super frequent, as I have other obligations and I will probably have the tendency to release lump updates instead of updating it after every mushroom I make. Feedback and bug reports are appreciated, and balancing some of the poisonous mushrooms to fit DF syndromes is going to be a nightmare that I'd appreciate feedback with. I'm also open to ideas and suggestions, they could be new uses for mushrooms, special request mushrooms from any favorites you might have, fantasy mushrooms, or really just anything fungus related you might want in the mod.

And Finally, the Download Link:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13695
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:22:54 pm by MottledPetrel »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mottled Petrel's Fungus Expanion
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 01:20:19 pm »

This seems like a cool idea, buy I don't think picking up mushrooms activates contact syndromes -- only contaminants do. Perhaps you can make a mushroom that is made of a material that evaporates at room temperature and has an inhalation syndrome, so that some amount of the time when a dwarf picks it up he gets poisoned?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 07:20:54 pm »

Now that I think about it, I recall that solids don't transmit syndromes, only gasses and liquids. Which really sucks because there was a lot more that I wanted to do with solids potentially transmitting syndromes, but I'll have to come up with something else. I guess I could have mushrooms that explode into clouds of poisonous 'spores' like some mushrooms actually do, but I'm not sure if that would cause the plants to evaporate the second they grow. Actually, that in itself might be a cool idea, nothing too deadly though because that might be a little cheap. For the poisonous mushrooms I was going for, I was more doing to skin 'rash' because it is 1. accurate to the real world mushrooms, and 2. Often used as a poorman's guide to determining if a mushroom is poisonous or not. Rule of thumb tends to be if you pick up a mushroom and it causes the skin that touched it to rash up it's definitely poisonous, if not, it could still be poisonous. I'll have to test out a few things relating to plants and temperatures, such as what you suggested, and if setting a plant to have a fixed temperature higher than the usual burning point of plants and having said plant have no heat damage temperature and a high melting point causes forest fires on its own or just burns the hands of anyone who isn't wearing gauntlets when they pick it up. Glad to see that there's interest so far, I'm working on the next update currently.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 02:45:45 pm »

First update is up, thought I'd make a b-line to the mushrooms that could be turned into weapons because it seemed like they were probably the most wanted. Specifics will be up on the first post in a minute, but this is basically it:

-Added _MTP to the end of all items
-Added [REACTION_CLASS:MUSHROOM] to all mushrooms for the dissect for spores reaction
-Changed mushroom based soap to have the mushroom as the lye reagent
-Made reactions for both oil based and tallow based mushroom soap
-Added mushrooms: dwarf razorstalk mushroom, small razorstalk mushroom, large razorstalk mushroom, giant razorstalk mushroom, curved razorstalk mushroom, spineless groundcreeper mushroom, thorned groundcreeper mushroom, needlecap mushroom, regal needlecap mushroom
-Added reactions for new mushroom based weapons

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 03:37:44 pm »

Ptw. Must remember this when I get back into nodded df after exams.
One wheel short of a wagon

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 05:15:38 pm »

I think next I'm going to create the mushroom crossbreeding and some of the initial material based mushrooms so you can grow weapons that aren't so weak. No telling how long that is going to take, but I know how I'm going to do it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 07:29:51 pm »

I don't think the game does material checks for plants, since they don't have body parts, can't be attacked, can't be moved, or have any other function that requires material checks (except perhaps flammability checking, but I think the game assumes all plants are flammable anyway.) Exploding mushrooms would probably work then (though only ~30% of the time due to caveats with inhalation syndromes, or only when the target has uncovered feet if you're using melting spores.)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 07:57:32 pm »

I was just going to make reactions for the weapons that instead of getting their material from the plant, it would just make the weapon whatever material the plant is simulating. I'll have to look more into the exploding plants though.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 05:36:39 pm »

Sooo, I might have accidentally made any item made out of mushroom super expensive. I'm going to lower the value of the items made out of mushroom, but not the mushrooms themselves because you can still derive spores from it. Do you guys think I should make the items dirt cheap because of how ineffective the material is or make them reasonably valuable because you have to go through all of the effort of growing the mushrooms?

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:41:57 pm »

Mind a suggestion? You could make some lichen "Ore" that you find while mining, that could be refined into shit. Lichen is technically part fungus.

I don't think the game does material checks for plants, since they don't have body parts, can't be attacked, can't be moved, or have any other function that requires material checks (except perhaps flammability checking, but I think the game assumes all plants are flammable anyway.) Exploding mushrooms would probably work then (though only ~30% of the time due to caveats with inhalation syndromes, or only when the target has uncovered feet if you're using melting spores.)
Perhaps the 30% of the time could be the dwarves holding their breath? Might be a feasible explanation.
Sooo, I might have accidentally made any item made out of mushroom super expensive. I'm going to lower the value of the items made out of mushroom, but not the mushrooms themselves because you can still derive spores from it. Do you guys think I should make the items dirt cheap because of how ineffective the material is or make them reasonably valuable because you have to go through all of the effort of growing the mushrooms?
My vote is make them not worth a ton; they don't seem to take much in the way of resources to make IMO, just time. If you can make them valuable to a specific entity though, try elves. They'd be all over this "Naturally grown weaponry" shit.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 05:23:12 am »

I was going to get into mushroom ores at some point, I was thinking fossilized mushrooms or something that could be refined into great metals or turned into spores that grew a really slow growing version of the mushroom. Either that, or some remnant clumps of mycelium from other ancient mushrooms that still permeate the rocks. I was going to stay mostly inline with mushrooms because they have a lot more diversity (and I have a giant field guide on them), but yes, I can totally do the other fungi. I could make some kind of encrusting lichen that has adapted to live within stone, and when the skeletons they build into the rock are melted they create a crappy metal ingot. I'm thinking it could be less than copper in every way, but you can take an ore boulder and get spores from it. It would grow faster than the other ore based mushrooms I'm going to make, but the fact that it sucks would balance that. Then, of course, you can cross breed it with some of the item plants so you can make [crappy lichen metal name] goblets with little effort. I can slap together a name when I have the time, but do you happen to have one you were thinking of?

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 08:55:23 am »

I was going to get into mushroom ores at some point, I was thinking fossilized mushrooms or something that could be refined into great metals or turned into spores that grew a really slow growing version of the mushroom. Either that, or some remnant clumps of mycelium from other ancient mushrooms that still permeate the rocks. I was going to stay mostly inline with mushrooms because they have a lot more diversity (and I have a giant field guide on them), but yes, I can totally do the other fungi. I could make some kind of encrusting lichen that has adapted to live within stone, and when the skeletons they build into the rock are melted they create a crappy metal ingot. I'm thinking it could be less than copper in every way, but you can take an ore boulder and get spores from it. It would grow faster than the other ore based mushrooms I'm going to make, but the fact that it sucks would balance that. Then, of course, you can cross breed it with some of the item plants so you can make [crappy lichen metal name] goblets with little effort. I can slap together a name when I have the time, but do you happen to have one you were thinking of?

I had no specific names I was thinking of; though "Mycenite" as a general name for the ores comes to mind.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 07:23:27 pm »

Just thought that I'd let everyone know that the next version is in progress. I haven't yet cracked materials and ores yet, but the next update should include at least: workshops broken up into tiered levels, each one being more expensive than the last but also yields more products; new standard edible mushrooms to crowd out the more useful ones, balances to the currently ludicrous mushroom material values, some debilitating poisonous mushrooms, maybe one or two mushroom 'vermin' that can be 'inhaled' (read 'can sting') to cause debilitating or helpful effects, and a basic mushroom creature if I'm lucky (Once I get all of the bodies and templates dealt with I'll be able to make them much faster). I already know what I want to do for this release, but suggestions are still appreciated.

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 11:28:48 pm »

Dude this is fan fucking tastic. I love mushrooms too and its so properly dwarfy. I even love the idea of useless mushrooms and poisonous ones in the game just to keep me on my toes.

Great work
Encrusted with fried bread and menacing with spikes of coconuts
living the dream
Pages: [1] 2