Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mottled Petrel's Fungus Expanion (1.02)  (Read 16135 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Mottled Petrel's Fungus Expanion
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 12:50:15 pm »

This seems like an interesting mod.

Since the "useful mushrooms" category doesn't have a fabric mushroom, I have an idea for one.

Armokstrand: A red mushroom that gives hard red silk-like fabric when harvested. Tougher and better than steel, but takes a while to grow. Essentially growable poor man's adamantine.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:30:37 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 08:04:42 pm »

Dude this is fan fucking tastic. I love mushrooms too and its so properly dwarfy. I even love the idea of useless mushrooms and poisonous ones in the game just to keep me on my toes.

Great work
Glad to see that you're enjoying it, my own love of mushrooms and their bewildering arrangement of forms was what drove me to make this mod.

This seems like an interesting mod.

Since the "useful mushrooms" category doesn't have a fabric mushroom, I have an idea for one.

Armokstrand: A red mushroom that gives hard red silk-like fabric when harvested. Tougher and better than steel, but takes a while to grow. Essentially growable poor man's adamantine.
I've actually got a few string yielding mushrooms in the edible section, I'm actually not sure if I should put them in useful or not because right now useful is more for super useful stuff. I could make a mushroom like that that's between steel and adamantine, but I think I'd make it a bit harder to get. I'm thinking I might do some giant metal mushroom hulk that you can rarely encounter in the third layer, and upon slaying it it drops the seeds for the Armokstrand. Either that, or I'd make it go along with my currently planned theme for the third layer. Because it is so close to the magma, it will be populated with mushrooms that already have fire related names, like many members of the Pholiota family, the flame scalecap (Pholiota flammans) and the charcoal scalecap (Pholiota carbonaria) to name a few. Many of these mushrooms will have fixed temperatures, some could singe the skin if you hold it too long while other could horribly burn an unwary passerby. It will be like the poison of the surface mushrooms, but a whole lot worse. I could theoretically make it so that the Armokstrand is one of the hottest of these mushrooms and needs a special magmasafe workshop to process, but that might be a bit too much. Either way, I think it needs some kind of cool gimmick  :P .

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 06:10:05 am »

It could probably be in the third cavern layer.
it's over

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 11:33:23 pm »

This all looks pretty cool.

I may look into adding stuff like this for my own mod in future updates. (I want to figure out how to work in different coloured woods first before doing crazy stuff like that.)

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 10:37:01 pm »

Many wild mushrooms are only deemed inedible because of their stomach upsetting effects. I suggest implementing those sorts to offset the one, deadly mushroom, and complement the black morel brew. Still others are inedible because of their poor flavour, which I believe should be represented by a minor negative thought upon consumption, much like black earth tongues but with a higher, near guaranteed chance.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 05:21:16 am »

The only reason I haven't been doing effects like that is because the effects of mushrooms deemed 'inedible' is incredibly poorly documented. A lot of the time my sources just tell me 'Just don't touch it' so I can only assume that it is entirely inedible. For the ones where I do find specific documentation of stomach upsetting effects or the 'You can eat it, but it sucks' fact I try my best to include it. That being said, if we want to look at it from a more literal standpoint, a lot of things we don't usually consider edible can be eaten with great discomfort and little to no nutrient gain. For the sake of the game, I'm trying to consider the ones that say that it is incredibly hard to eat and gives little to no nutrients are just not worth the effort, and are therefore inedible and useless. That, and I want to add the variety to the game of having plants that are literally useless, like being told to go out into the forest to forage and just coming back with a handful of leaves because you have no skill in herbalism. That being said, if you find any specific instances of a mushroom I have being documented as being reasonably edible with just the stomach ache or horrible texture let me know and I'll make some changes.

This all looks pretty cool.

I may look into adding stuff like this for my own mod in future updates. (I want to figure out how to work in different coloured woods first before doing crazy stuff like that.)
As long as its not just a reskin of what I've been doing, glad to see that I've inspired you  :P .
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:23:04 am by MottledPetrel »

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 06:43:07 pm »

I recommend David Arora's Mushrooms Demystified. It's one of the most detailed books about mushrooms, weighing in at 900+ pages. containing over 2000 species and over 800 photos. It's somewhat out of date taxonomically, but the lamens names can easily be tracked down. Further, it only applies to North American variants and strains: even members of the same species can be varying in flavour and perhaps toxicity based on the soil and air they grow in. Here are some which are deemed poisonous or unsavoury, but non-lethal according to his book.
Flat-Top Agaricus: vomiting and diarrhea; metallic taste.
Cortinarii: edible variants are typically extremely bitter, and many are incredibly slimy.
Poison Pie: mild to severe gastrointestinal distress.
Bitter Hedgehog: bitterness deems it inedible.
Emetic Russula; The Sickener: induces vomiting, very acrid in taste.

Further, while searching the book, I found one interesting specimen. Crampballs, which Arora says could be used as a substitute for charcoal. I don't know if you could implement it just as that. They're supposedly quite common in forests.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 09:10:01 pm »

I've been using the Peterson Field Guide for North American Mushrooms, which was a book I bought just because of my own fascination with mushrooms and is probably what inspired me to make this mod. It only like 400 pages max, and is maybe half the dimensions of a normal book, but its still incredibly species inclusive for its size. The only downside is that they don't give a whole lot of information on the attributes of the mushroom, it only says if it is edible or not, where it lives, and the physical features with which you can identify it. However, I only really use it as a list of potential species for use, I look up more information of the mushroom online. Thank you for the pointer on a better guide, I'll look into that. That being said, I still have to take the information I get and make broad assumptions to fill in the various niches for plants in dwarf fortress. Like millables, there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to find a mushroom that can be turned into flour, but there are some mushrooms with brittle flesh that are commonly cut into flakes and dried for culinary use that I can interoperate as being a millable. Unfortunately, such knowledge isn't really recorded in english culture, being more of an eastern european thing, so I'm doing my best with taking my best guesses. And the shaping of mushrooms into usable items is obviously totally made up with me just going off of shape of the mushroom, but it isn't entirely out of the question and just generally makes the game more fun.

The bitter hedgehog was on my radar, but the crampballs will be incredibly useful for growable charcoal.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 03:01:23 pm »

Small update, more of a balancing one, but some new content as well. A new poisonous mushroom and the introduction of psychotropic (autocorrect has informed me that I spelt psychotropic wrong in the files, next update will have that corrected because I don't feel like reuploading) mushrooms. I decided to handle the accompanying drug trip of these mushrooms as a wave of potential emotions, some good, some bad. There's a small to medium chance of experiencing emotions from a long list the game has to choose from, with varying effects and the potential to cause the dwarf to become crazed. My own test world described it perfectly, 3 dwarves became estatic, 3 dwarves were huddled on the ground crying out in fear and distress, and 1 didn't care. Psychotropic mushrooms should be handled as a desperate gamble if a dwarf needs a mood boost, or if you just want your fort to go crazy faster (less psychotropic mushrooms will have less intense emotions and smaller ranges, while more psychotropic mushrooms will be more intense with more emotions to choose from). Still working on the more complicated stuff mentioned, but I thought I'd at least get these balances out.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:05:55 pm by MottledPetrel »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Mottled Petrel's Fungus Expanion (1.02)
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 05:42:40 pm »

You only have death-cap as poisonous, while all other edible mushrooms are plain eatin'. Idea: Could maybe add in mushrooms that need to be boiled before eating to remove poisonous or bitter taste such as Lactarius torminosus (yay for wikipedia language interlinking, as I have very little knowledge of english names of mushrooms).

While there are less demanding mushrooms, one can't be that picky in a forest >_>. Though restricting shrooms to only around their respective trees might be too troublesome to implement.

(Death-cap's 'just don't harvest it' is good for forcing attention to what one picks up, but it only gets players once and after that there's little reason to harvest it.)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 08:05:06 pm »

First of all, it has been found that a lot of poisonous mushrooms have temperature stable poisons, rendering boiling useless. I was dealing with the 'cook them and they're fine' mushrooms by having them EDIBLE_COOKED instead of EDIBLE_RAW, but I could create a special boiling workshop for the mushrooms that can actually be made edible through boiling.

I don't think it would be possible to restrict mushrooms to specific trees, as much as I would like to. The closest I could probably get is restricting a mushroom to either WET or DRY.

This last problem will be fixed as I add more poisonous mushrooms (I have more mushrooms that are 'poisonous' as of the last update, but the scaly chanterelle just creates intestinal distress, as well as the panther cap but with psychotropic effects). Picking poisonous mushrooms can be solved with experience, but I plan to implement some of the mushrooms that only effect certain people (or in dwarf fortress, the effects are only felt part of the time) as well as effects that are so delayed that it will be almost impossible to pin point which mushroom actually did it. And think about it for a second, what are the chances that in a large 100+ dwarf fort you'd actually be able to monitor the food intake of every dwarf  :P . More variety of poisonous mushrooms is probably my goal for the next update, in which I will look into finding specific mushrooms that can be cured through boiling.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 01:40:47 pm »

EDIBLE_COOKED is possible, but I think EDIBLE_RAW is more interesting choice as tradeoff: dwarves will be able to seek out raw food not in roast and fulfill their needs, thus increasing focus, but they'll get sick as a downside. Or they may safely eat it after boiling, if they're so lucky to get it. (irl prep note: while frying is kind of cooking, using that will leave them poisonous)

Similar tradeoff could be obtained with something like giant funnel, which is antibiotic to the point of helping fight off tuberculosis, but isn't exactly favourite thing to eat (and of course, boiling would destroy the antibiotics).

Wet is fine for wet trees like willow, but mushroom tree-specific restriction can only be done with dfhack: i.e. when a mushroom sprouts or is picked near a tree, change its type to appropriate mushroom type if necessary - second one is both easier and guarantees that the poisonous mushrooms won't be avoided by just not designating them with getplants.

(Could also use it to place them wholesale, which is even more complicated, but could do fungus circles, which may even kill off young spruces with nutrient starving. )

You could also monitor food intake by setting up special smashing/incinerating stockpiles/minecarts for poisonous mushrooms, if looking what you pick isn't enough. Though there's the danger of someone eating it before it is stored in minecart.

There's many others (though not all) in Lactarius family that are edible and non-poisonous after stint of boiling. Russula family also has some that need to be boiled, such as emetica. I don't really have good knowledge anymore, though - when shops have plenty of food now there's less reason to go into forests and I have forgotten over 90% of what I've ever learned :v
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:53:12 pm by Fleeting Frames »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 02:07:50 pm »

For tree-specific mushrooms, have you considered copying the tree raws and modifying them so they drop the mushrooms as fruit/leaves?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 [2]