Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Obsidian Farming with TEMPERATURE:OFF?

(1/2) > >>

The Grim Sleeper:
So I've lost a fort to FPS (bigger problems then just temperature, design was very looping-y), and on my next fort, I want to do things right, straight of the bat.
I do like using obsidian casting though, and the wiki mentions a trick that would allow it's use without the Temperature calculations: Add [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10000] to the obsidian RAW
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Maximizing_framerate#Game_Settings_2

But I ran a quick test with DFHack liquids, and got mixed results: When designating the cast obsidian for digging, there was "warm stone" overlay on several blocks near the obsidian, but not on the obsidian itself. However, when designated, sometimes I got a lot of job cancellations, and the miners didn't touch the rock. Other times, digging happened without incident. Turning temperature back on again, fixed the problems.

Its been noted that DFHack liquids has the effect of creating odd "heat traps" (zones where the temperature is permanently very high, and the way to fix it is that spawn some magma next to it and let it evaporate). So my results are unreliable.

So does the [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10000]-trick work? Does anybody know about the problems I had, and a fix for them that doesn't require save-exit-restarting every time I want to dig into my obsidian?

ShaveDaWookie:
i doubt its what your going for but the liquids plugin in DFhack allows one to place obsidian, in any quantity

Bumber:
Does the fixed temp tag even affect tiles? If you set a stone's temp really hot, will it show up as warm stone, or will it be standard temp until you mine it into a burning boulder?

Not really sure of the state of the temperature system.

eerr:
Magma turns the tile permanently super-hot.

Then nothing can change it back while temperature is disabled.

Loci:

--- Quote from: The Grim Sleeper on April 21, 2018, 05:21:49 am ---Does anybody know about the problems I had, and a fix for them that doesn't require save-exit-restarting every time I want to dig into my obsidian?

--- End quote ---

You could try a two-stage process where you cast the obsidian in an upper level, then use a cave-in to drop it to a lower level. Since the lower level never contained magma I think you will avoid tile temperature problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version