Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Matrix community for Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1363 times)

Michigan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Matrix community for Dwarf Fortress
« on: August 16, 2018, 10:55:59 am »

Hey guys,

https://riot.im/app/#/group/+df:matrix.org

Matrix is a privacy- and security-focused chat system, and there is support for communities involving multiple rooms. There does not yet exist a dwarf fortress community, so I made one.

Matrix is a federated, free software system and Riot is the most popular client. Think "IRC with the functionality of Slack".

Why

useful

I think it would be useful to have a live chat community for dwarf fortress, for things like simple questions and clarifications that do not warrant a forum post and are not significant enough to wait for a reddit/bay12forums user to reply.
technical reasons

The existing live chat systems for DF (discord) are not free software or federated, so I propose matrix.

---

For a link to the matrix community:

https://matrix.to/#/+df:matrix.org

For a link directly to Riot (which is probably what you want):

https://riot.im/app/#/group/+df:matrix.org

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Matrix community for Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:32:40 am »

Discord is free and why do you care if the feds know you use 3x3 staircases?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:18:40 pm »

I don't see the point. The forum is here, and Discord is there if you get REALLY desperate. There's nothing at all to be hidden when it comes to discussing DF.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 12:52:20 pm »

I thought DF already had multiple irc rooms and discords and whatever else?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 12:31:18 am »

Privacy for the sake of privacy is pointless.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 07:15:04 am »

It's not pointless at least for the same reason having curtains on your windows is not pointless, and the way you write about 3x3 staircases can be MitM'd, taken other interesting information(bay12 doesn't use https after all), and fingerprinted with same manner of speech but different topic elsewhere, then attacked using either a broad-spectrum exploit (such as packet of doom at crucial moment for an irl attack) or one targeting your system configuration, thus gaining access to your credidentials for purposes at either end-point of targeting your bank account, your computer for mining/botnet/endpoint relay/etc., or further hijacking into otherwise secure systems such as your employers', like employed in Bangladesh Bank Heist of 2016 (attempted stealing of 1 billion, stll got away with dozens of millions) or like how off-the-grid nuclear reactors were inflicted with targeted hidden malware carried on USBs.

Of course, none of that is quite as visible as sending your phone number over facebook messanger and then getting sms advertisements from unknown numbers. "If it doesn't have a gui, it doesn't exist." manner of thinking, this is.

That said, I question the existence of private chat rooms freely advertised as open to the public, which means the main benefit would be forcing an attacker with access to discord data (quite cheaply with a shell advertizing firm) to perform such MitM attack....well, that's assuming you don't have to pay a physical cent to use discord, of course. Last I used it, I didn't, but it's been a few years.

For an averge person, as you aptly demonstrated, this means for migration to happen it has to have functionality in some way superior to discord. Having never used Slack, I'd like if OP could elaborate a little on this point.