Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lowerarchy of Hell  (Read 1544 times)

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lowerarchy of Hell
« on: August 17, 2018, 04:43:12 pm »

The highest class of demon are the dikrohir. They are too stupid to have any way of escaping to the surface and are therefore completely harmless despite their immense size, array of powers and infinite bloodthirst. Some occultists engage in futile attempts to summon them up for weaponization or exotic goods.

The next class beneath them is the kulurrohir or "bogeymen" as the commoners say. For those of you who do nothing like adventuring I will tell you that they are as easy to invoke as they are to banish, for any idiot can do it by simply staying out and alone and then returning inside. They are a lethal annoyance and nothing else.

Further below these bothersome imps are the aborohir. All of you will likely understand that I mean goblins, but other many other names exist thanks to their worldly presence. Peasants will call them small-trolls, dwarvish humor knows them as bucks and some other philosophers will entitle them to be "hellves" in much the same way that dwarf is a portmanteau of dwarf and elf. Though useless from an occult standpoint, enterprizing slavers value them for their almost nonexistent needs and commission elaborate machines to secretly exploit their intelligence. Purity Theory holds that this is because demons are so evil that they have no body-soul duality.

At the bottom are the kastrolrohir, a focal point of many conspiracy allegations aimed at unpopular institutions. What is known is that the goblins are always heralds of their presence-that is the basis of their pagan beliefs! These entities combine the most dangerous aspects of all types above them and fixed to the world like a spear in the ground. Pages upon pages of hack literature talks about how they could be divined, commanded, killed or every other act that you do upon a magical beast. Such writings are the hallmark of a worthless philosopher. Words and symbols have no meaning when dealing upon demons, for they are beings of pure force.
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Lowerarchy of Hell
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:42:32 pm »

What is this?
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 02:58:53 pm »

I kind of like writing like this. Like that really long series on dwarf society from a while ago. I wonder if it's still ongoing. Anyway, it would be good to have some kind of introduction to it though so people don't get confused. There are two parts I have a problem with though "in much the same way that dwarf is a portmanteau of dwarf and elf" was there some kind of mistake here? Dwarf is a portmanteau of itself? Second is that it's hard to tell what you mean with the last one. Obviously the first are the demons in hell that stay there until unleashed, then you directly say what the other two are, but the last one? It would seem like you mean the demons that lead goblin civilizations probably? But, they're exactly the same as demons found in hell, so I don't know why their classification is different. Also the lowerarchy thing you're doing is a bit confusing. Highest is worst? I don't think demons are too associated with being low for it to be worth the confusion of flipping a hierarchy. Especially since by this rating the demons that always stay in hell and are thus the lowest are the highest. Anyway, most of the writing was good, I especially like when writers will intentionally put in false information to it like you did with saying words and symbols have no meaning even though we know in-game you can use their name to control them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:22:48 pm »

It's nice. But posting it here, without explanation, instead of in, say, community games and stories (it's a "story" right?) or off in the depths of the lower off-topic boards (it's not actually dwarf fortress related) makes it look like it might be a suggestion? (for the suggestions board), a mod concept? (for the mod forum) or maybe a question? (for this forum, fotf thread), or perhaps a statement on how dwarf fortress works? (for the wiki). Thus the first reaction, rather than, 'that was an interesting read' (which it was) was 'what is this?'.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 02:37:15 pm »

It's nice. But posting it here, without explanation, instead of in, say, community games and stories (it's a "story" right?) or off in the depths of the lower off-topic boards (it's not actually dwarf fortress related) makes it look like it might be a suggestion? (for the suggestions board), a mod concept? (for the mod forum) or maybe a question? (for this forum, fotf thread), or perhaps a statement on how dwarf fortress works? (for the wiki). Thus the first reaction, rather than, 'that was an interesting read' (which it was) was 'what is this?'.

Yup
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 06:19:20 pm »

(it's not actually dwarf fortress related)

it absolutely is?

dikrohir

forgotten beasts

kastrolrohir

unique demons, the ones that form spires in dark fortresses and lead goblin civs

the other two are trivially related, being explicitly called bogeymen and goblins

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 11:30:03 am »

However tangential to DF lore this may be, I still liked it! Who knows, maybe with the myth generator we might find a world organized just like your description.