Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best CPU for DF?  (Read 8433 times)

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best CPU for DF?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 12:19:00 pm »

In continuation. If you play from a laptop, make sure it uses real DDR memory and not slow low-power memory like LDDR3. If it is not written anywhere explicit, you can check what the top RAM configuration is, a laptop using slow mobile ram maxes out at 16GB, where laptops with desktop memory can go much higher.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 10:47:22 pm »

Did you come up with that yourself, or is the graphic from somewhere else? In particular, I find the dwarves^2 term hard to believe. Paths are usually computed only once per trip and then cached, and other units occupy relatively few map tiles, and they don't block each others' paths. Even if they do meet at the same time, some units simply lie down when that happens. At most, adding another unit requires computing an additional path for just that unit occasionally - it isn't slowed down by every other unit on the map.

True, I was wrong

Also, fort x/y/z dimensions are constant - I'm not sure why you dropped the z term.

I dropped the Z term because Z is indeed constant--when you consider a generalized fort, though, X and Y can be anywhere from 1 to 16.

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 05:49:29 am »

Following the theory here I upgraded the memory in my PC. It has a quad-channel CPU, but I only had two memory modules, after upgrading my fortress went from 20-30FPS to 40-60FPS
Pages: 1 2 [3]