Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Can you run out of goblins?

(1/2) > >>

Syndic:
Since I've started playing again, I'm wondering - since goblins now come from actual civilizations in the world... Can I run out?

As in, if they repeatedly siege me, and I kill them - will the last goblin eventually come to my fort to avenge his entire race, and join them in death? Or will the goblin civs keep enough "breeding population" to restock and come at me continuously with ever new attacks?

PatrikLundell:
Yes.

That answer is rather terse, so here's a boring lecture. Average it and it gets about right...

It depends. If all you've got within range of your fortress is a crummy 50 pop dark pit you're probably going to get about 5 sieges before they stop for 50 years or so (assuming half of them run away on each siege, and those are small to medium sized), while the pit repopulates. After that they'll send a small bunch of recruits at you.
That scenario hinges on them not settling/conquering any other site, and their site isn't lost (you can now do that personally via raiding).

If, on the other hand, the goblins have a full size (10000 goblins, 2500 trolls, 2500 ogres) dark tower as their closest site, they're unlikely to run out due to sieges against you, but they can still lose their site to another civ (and raiding by you might work, although it's going to be rather risky).

Ulfarr:
While PatrikLundell's answer is not wrong, it might* be a bit outdated. From at least version 44.05,  it seems like sieges are no longer tied to one specific site but they can rather originate from various sites (of the same civ), regardless of the distance between it and yours. Based on that I think it's safe to assume that even if the nearest site does lose all of it's army, you'll still get sieges without needing to wait as

*Based on my own observations. While playing with a modded version (Kobold kamp + LNP), some of the sieges I got where sent from 2-3 different site ( more specifically dwarven goverments) according to Legend Viewer.

Shonai_Dweller:

--- Quote from: Ulfarr on April 23, 2018, 05:08:50 am ---While PatrikLundell's answer is not wrong, it might* be a bit outdated. From at least version 44.05,  it seems like sieges are no longer tied to one specific site but they can rather originate from various sites (of the same civ), regardless of the distance between it and yours. Based on that I think it's safe to assume that even if the nearest site does lose all of it's army, you'll still get sieges without needing to wait as

*Based on my own observations. While playing with a modded version (Kobold kamp + LNP), some of the sieges I got where sent from 2-3 different site ( more specifically dwarven goverments) according to Legend Viewer.

--- End quote ---
Are you sure about the "regardless of distance" part?
I know Toady mentioned in FOTF that they come from more than one site now. But isn't that still "multiple sites within range"? So what Patrick says is still true.
Out of range sieges will definitely come from civs you've raided now though, so I guess it's a lot more mixed up than before. That can only be a good thing.

PatrikLundell:
I'm fairly sure Toady said the eligible sites would be within range, and yes, I'm aware that my old (before making the observations that led to asking Toady) view of a single site being the source is outdated (and I'm quite pleased about that). This is why my example had a single site within range, as the question was whether they can run out, rather than how to avoid them running out.

Also, it doesn't really help you if the gobbos are there, but elect to pummel other sites belonging to your civ rather than your site; they may as well have run out.

As Shonai_Dweller said, raiding should provide additional blood shedding support, but again, the civs you provoke into war will need to have enough bodies to send at you (and elect not to spend them elsewhere), or nothing much will happen. Of course, if the backup gobbo civ is being taken out by any civ but your own, you can provoke the victor...

On the technical side, the number of bodies of interest is the sum of hist figs and non hist figs, so a gobbo site with 3 hist fig gobbos and 10000 non hist fig ones is a good source of battlefield fodder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version