Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chipathingy's Fantastic Fantasy Fortress mod  (Read 4048 times)

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
chipathingy's Fantastic Fantasy Fortress mod
« on: December 10, 2022, 09:50:44 pm »

Welcome to chipathingy's Fantastic Fantasy Fortress mod!

This mod is my attempt to add in creatures and civilisations that are commonly found in "stock" fantasy settings.
It includes 4 new races, vanilla race changes, loads of new creatures and heaps of items!

0.47.05 download: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16207
Steam Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2905522743
Steam modular version: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2941967784
DFFD full version: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16721
DFFD modular version: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16720

Races:
   Dwarves: Short and bearded, dwarves are an industrious race who prefer to live in underground mountain fortresses. They alone can forge both magical and mundane
      metals, and jealously guard these secrets from the other races.
      Currently the only playable race. Very similar to vanilla dwarves with the following changes:
         Males now outnumber females by 2:1
         New building: Blast Furnace. This is where dwarves purify mithril and make dwarfsteel, titansteel and orihalcum. Requires magma and magma-safe materials
         New armour: Completely new items include dwarven plate armour, helm, boots and gauntlets.
            The plate armour pieces are thicker, heavier and require more metal than vanilla armour pieces. Meant to be end-game armour
            Horned cap, horned/winged helm: reflavoured headwear, otherwise identical to the vanilla items
         New weapons:
            Can now produce almost any weapon, but that doesn't mean they can use them!
            New weapons:
               Boomsticks, shoots pellets
               Hand Cannons. Bigger and better boomstick. Shoots shells
               Skirmisher's Axe. An axe that is also a ranged weapon. Uses 'thrown' ammunition - for dwarves, these are throwing axes
               Siege crossbow. A bigger, heavier crossbow that shoots arrows
               New ammo types. Broadhead/hammerhead bolts and arrows do slashing/blunt damage respectively
         New reactions: wooden statues/slabs/mechanisms, can grind stone to sand, can burn corpses

Goblins: The unholy offspring of powerful demons and unlucky mortals, goblins exist only to serve their demon masters.
      These are mostly similar to vanilla goblins with a few small changes. They can sometimes be found as wild, savage tribes
      Their blood now causes painful burns on contact. Don't drink it
[/s]      They have a bunch of new creatures they will bring to siege your fort as well!

Halflings: Similar in size and appearance to human children, halflings live in quiet agrarian communities and mostly keep to themselves. They are generally
      self-sufficient and do not send out trade caravans.
      Some halflings are overcome by wanderlust and will strike out on their own, becoming mercenaries or bards.

High Elves: Haughty and arrogant, High Elves look down their noses at the other races and bask in their perceived superiority. They have long abandoned the
      pursuit of magical power of terrestrial origin and have instead turned to the heavens in search of power. They despise dealing with the "less civilised"
      races and will despair at being underground for too long      
      They can use steel, use exclusively edged weapons and have access to several magical warbeasts

Humans: Humans are a jack-of-all-trades race that are found throughout the world.
      Humans have gone through a number of changes in this mod. They now use steel, have a number of castes and two distinct civilisations:
      The Good Kingdom: A shining beacon of civilisation, the Kingdom and their kightly orders are the embodiment of justice, harmony and peace.
      The Evil Empire: While they don't eat babies, that's basically where the line is. They will lie, cheat and steal and will raid your fort to get their
      hands on your precious shinies

Lizardfolk: Ancient and mysterious, Lizardfolk tribes are dedicated to maintaining the balance of the land. They will send caravans in the spring, once they
      have woken from their hibernation. They have many unique lizard/dinosaur-themed livestock available to them and may bring them to trade

Orcs: Primative barbarians who love to fight, orcs live in tribes and constantly war with their neighbors. The more fights they survive, the bigger and stronger
      they get. They have a number of unique weapons, armor and warbeasts that can only be used by these huge, rage-filled barbarians      

Wood elves: Self-appointed guardians of the forests, Wood Elves are dedicated to the ruthless protection of nature. They have rejected the High Elves' pursuit
      of heavenly power and derive their magic from the trees and animals of their forest homes.
      Wood elves are basically vanilla elves with the enchanted wood metal to buff their soldiers

Undead: Necromancers have been standardised! They can now raise zombies, summon skeletons and resurrect the dead as revenants.

Megabeasts:
      Lots of new, tougher dragon types. If you can kill one, their scales and bones are amazing materials
      Pheonix

Other creatures:
      Lots of creatures from mythology or other fantasy settings. They are found in various savage biomes. They include:
         Pegasi   Griffins   Hippogriffs   Wyvern   Feathered Serpent
         Valkyrie   Centaurs   Gnolls      Minotaurs (non-semimegabeasts)
         Bugbears   Bicorn   Jackalopes      Drop Bears
         Cerberus   Slimes (many varieties)   Dire rat/bear/pig
      Unique pets - Most races except Humans, Halflings and Dwarves have some unique animals they can access

New metals:
   Impure mithril: Smelted from mithril ore, which is found in silver veins. Worse than iron, better than copper
   Mithril (by Meph): Harder and much lighter than steel. Refined from impure mithril at a blast furnace
   Dwarfsteel: As hard as mithril and heavier than steel. Produced at a blast furnace from steel and gold
   Orihalcum: A magical alloy known only to the Dwarves. Very light and hard
   Titansteel: A magical alloy known only to the Dwarves. Very heavy and hard
   Enchanted wood: Magically hardened wood used by the wood elves. As hard as bronze but otherwise the same as wood.
   You'll also find that regular iron is more effective against magical creatures than normal.

New items (non-dwarf):
   Weapons: slings, slingshots, glaives, longbows, machete, quarterstaves, sledgehammers, hatchets, knuckledusters, orc-only weapons
      Throwing weapons: Fishing spear, rogue's knife, skirmisher's club
      Thrown ammo: throwing knives, javelins
   Armour: Reinforced leather armor and helmet, pauldrons, multiple helmet and shield types
   Clothing: harness, chest wrappings, bandana, kilts,
   Lots of tools that civilians will carry in Adventure mode
   Lots of toys

Other changes to vanilla
   Hydras now heal themselves much quicker
   Unicorns now have cursed blood
   Minotaurs have been renamed to 'feral minotaur' to make room for non-semimegabeast minotaurs

Planned features:
   More magical/legendary wildlife
   Magic! You might notice some placeholders if you go digging around in the raws
   Cavern revamp

Advanced world generation suggestions: decrease the number of generated secrets to zero, increase the number of civs

Known issues:
   Enchanted wood was the only way I could give elves proper equipment without dramatically changing them, but as they are a metal you can forge most things from
   them. Unfortunately their traders turn up with enchanted wood bars and anvils. I'd suggest not melting/using it for RP reasons
   Some creatures use a secretion to apply a syndrome to them; this shows up in their inventory. I don't know how to remove this

Credits:
   ZM5's mods - weapons, materials, probably other things I can't remember
   Splint's mods - reactions, materials, weapons
   Taffer's Dwarf Fortress Revised
   Anyone who's ever put anything on DFFD

Release log
1.0: Initial release
1.01: increased raw mithril spawn rates
1.1: Graffiks! Plus some minor tweaks
1.1x: graphics tweaks
1.2: Modular version
1.3: New creature pack!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 05:39:43 am by chipathingy »
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: chipathingy's Fantastic Fantasy Fortress mod
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 09:51:47 pm »

VERSION 1.3 UPDATE NOTES

General notes:
- changed blowgunner profession name for all included races, because the throwing weapons all use the blowgunner skill
- new ASCII-ish graphics for all items that didn't have a sprite
- 80+ new creatures

Old creatures:
- changed vanilla dragons/trolls to DO_NOT_EXIST rather than removing them, to remove the graphics error.
- Thunderbird moved a different file
- removed SAVAGE tokens from a few of the less dangerous creatures
- Decreased all dragon child ages from 23 to 10, in line with the vanilla change

New creatures:
- Aquatic creatures: hippocamp, sea goat, island turtle, colossal crab, megalodon, leviathan, kraken
- Elementally-charged creatures: winter mammoth, steelboar, smiling stone, shadow panther, mesmer deer, cat fish, tornado falcon, molerabbit, sand warrior, salamander
- Reptilian: kappa, cockatrice, basilisk, turtle duck
- Flying: winged unicorn
- Intelligent: Sylph, naga
- Mammals: nine-tailed fox, carbuncle, woolly charger, chupacabra
- Vermin: spider rat (ew), lilliputians, scarab beetles
- Big bugs: monstrous antlion, giant scarab, giant desert scorpion (from old vanilla), giant sand worm
- Megabeasts: chimera (semimegabeast), doom wolf (name TBC) (megabeast)
- Misc: manticore, swamp ogre
- Savage and animal person versions of domestic animals, originally by Atkana and included with permission

High elves:
- made them better at everything but more annoying and precious.
- Tweaked trader values - lowered population threshold but increased value threshold. Decreased attack thresholds

Orcs:
- changed fertility god to courage god

Lizardfolk:
- fishing spear -> hunting sphere
- changed gods

« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 04:59:44 am by chipathingy »
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)

Viax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 10:29:39 am »

Steam release is with graphics people! So go and grab it! Really worth trying ;) Btw, what about mod compatibility? been thinking if i can add some dark ages changes. Why nobody talks about it here?

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 05:00:22 am »

Steam release is with graphics people! So go and grab it! Really worth trying ;) Btw, what about mod compatibility? been thinking if i can add some dark ages changes. Why nobody talks about it here?

Thanks! Glad someone is enjoying it! I admit, I haven't been very active here.

Compatibility-wise, it should be compatible with anything that doesn't change the vanilla creature graphics folder. I have no idea if DA is compatible or not, but I'd be surprised

I'll put up a DFFD release in the next couple of days

New update out! Woohoo!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 06:15:46 am by chipathingy »

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 08:01:23 pm »

New poll! I originally said I'd do a magic system after the creature release, but I've had some civ ideas which would be fairly easy to write. On the other hand, I don't want to bloat the mod with too many civs and I fully recognise that this is basically feature creep

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 07:10:56 pm »

Thanks to the four people who participated in the poll!
I'm pretty sure that doesn't reach statistical significance  though, so I've ignored it and have been working on something else - learning how to do proper graphics!
I've got a lot of new creatures in this mod so it will take quite a while, but I've made a good start already
I've also noticed that the non-dwarf vanilla races don't seem to have fully coloured armour sprites, so expect a full recolour!

As for the other features, I've been playing a fort and doing graphics so I haven't had a chance to start actually writing anything. Magic will still come, and I've decided to do the previously-mentioned new civs as standalone mods (rather than integrating them fully into FFF) when I get around to them
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:18:27 pm by chipathingy »

Viax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 06:24:35 am »

There is Highfantasy mod, which is quite huge. maybe you could work together and make something even bigger? :))
BTW how do you do graphics? In which program?
Don't worry with not too many responses, steam realease, and big adv/ammo fix update will bring plethora of new people, and more and more people will start using mods. Keep up good work! BTW. Does all features are on steam-graphic release? Or vanilla has more features?

Edit: i get my first wave of new dwarfs with different casts. It works for them. If i only knew, how could i change their value of beliefs... (if i don't mistake them with personality).
Still no visitors :(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 01:20:59 pm by Viax »

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 02:19:47 am »

Highfantasy is indeed huge. I don't think it would be worth trying to combine them, the scope of both mods is too large. I've tried to write this so that compatibilty is not an issue with the vast majority of mods - it would probably not clash on a technical level (depending on how it's written) but there would be too large of a feature overlap to be worthwhile IMO. I'm also wary of falling into the old Masterwork trap of feature bloat

I've been using Aseprite, which has worked well considering I know very little about pixel art

Both the Steam version and the DFFD one have the same features, if that's what you're asking. I haven't really removed any vanilla stuff either. DFFD might be a release behind, but the last one was graphics fixes which aren't really an issue for anyone downloading from there.

My dwarves don't have castes except male/female, that must be a different mod. Whether or not ou get visitors seems to be related to your embark location, it has nothing to do with FFF. If anything you should get more with the extra races!

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 05:09:42 am »

New update - ACTUAL PROPER GRAPHICS FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Special thanks to Redic who kindly provided the amazing lizardfolk graphics! They are super cool and everyone should check them out

Minor changes to other things:
- Weapons and armour sprites for all races are now properly coloured
- Dwarven plate armour/helm/gauntlets/boots have had the "dwarven" descriptor removed (except helms, they are now "great helms")
- Various new helmets and caps have been added to all of the non-dwarf/kobold civs, mostly because some of the new graphics are just too cool to not be natively part of other civs
- Dwarfsteel and impure mithril are green/blue respectively
- Nine-tailed fox has been renamed to kitsune
- Dragon attack triggers have been decreased
- Lizardfolk scale colours changed to reflect new graphics

You may notice the orc graphics are just recoloured human graphics - these are just temporary until the actual orc graphics are finished

Modular versions should be up in a few days

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 07:31:57 pm »

So I am having an issue where DF doesn't seem to properly applying the latest update to an existing fort, and is instead using the previous version. I don't think it's a mod problem, unless it's due to the graphics overhaul removing some now-obsolete files. If this is the case then there isn't much I can do about it.
However, all is not lost! I have a solution!
To play the latest update:
1. Go to data/installed mods in the DF directory, find FANTASTIC FANTASY FORTRESS (12) and delete both the objects and graphics folders in it. Don't delete the info file
2. Copy the graphics and objects folder from FANTASTIC FANTASY FORTRESS (13) into the (12) folder
3. Play!