Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Hatching Stolen Roc Eggs?

(1/1)

youngbab:
My newest cougar man adventurer embarked on an epic quest to slay a roc. Upon finally arriving at his lair, though, I fund it empty, save for trinkets and the subject of this post. Two pristine Roc Eggs.

I plan on retiring him somewhere and getting a fortress on its feet, and then bringing him all the way there with the hope of hatching my spoils. My question before I start is if it's possible. And if so, what would be my best course of action should I attempt to?

Thanks.

PatrikLundell:
That question has been posed for kobold eggs, and they're all unfertilized (I believe that was a FotF answer). I assume you can use DFHack in adventure mode to verify that they're unfertilized. Thus, the best you can get is probably a really big omelette (if that was part of the DF cuisine).

The only way you'd be able to hatch them would be by placing them in a nest box (and the only way I know of of getting eggs into nest boxes is for mothers to lay them there, except through DFHacking, of course). Fortress mode has shown that eggs in nest boxes are surprisingly resilient and can hatch quite some time after their mother is butchered (apparently it wasn't always like that: it's been said (re)training the mother was sufficient to kill the eggs in the past).

And, by the way, if there are eggs in the lair, there should be a female roc living there (your target or a second one), so "his" might be off.

youngbab:

--- Quote from: PatrikLundell on April 23, 2018, 02:20:12 pm ---That question has been posed for kobold eggs, and they're all unfertilized (I believe that was a FotF answer). I assume you can use DFHack in adventure mode to verify that they're unfertilized. Thus, the best you can get is probably a really big omelette (if that was part of the DF cuisine).

The only way you'd be able to hatch them would be by placing them in a nest box (and the only way I know of of getting eggs into nest boxes is for mothers to lay them there, except through DFHacking, of course). Fortress mode has shown that eggs in nest boxes are surprisingly resilient and can hatch quite some time after their mother is butchered (apparently it wasn't always like that: it's been said (re)training the mother was sufficient to kill the eggs in the past).

And, by the way, if there are eggs in the lair, there should be a female roc living there (your target or a second one), so "his" might be off.

--- End quote ---

She would probably be right lol. Bit of an oversight on my end.

Regarding checking the fertility, what would be the command for that in adventure mode? And if you know it, what's the command for putting the egg in a nestbox?
Thanks for the assistance.

PatrikLundell:
I don't know much about adventure mode, but if things work the same as in fortress mode, invoking gui/gm-editor when you loo'k' at the eggs should bring the eggs item up in gm-editor, and it should be possible to find if they're fertilized there. I haven't done it, so I don't know the exact steps, but I'd expect it to work the same as with dorf pregnancies, that there's a "genetic code" reference somewhere that's invalid if not fertile, and possibly a "fertile" flag.

The situation for putting eggs in a nest box would be the same, i.e. no ready made script. You'd probably have to modify the container object (i.e. nest box) to refer to the eggs as being in its "inventory", and set the eggs "in inventory" flag to true, as well as provide a reference to the nest box in one of the references vectors (the general one I think). I don't know if the position of the eggs should be set to the same as the nest box or to invalid (-30000, -30000, -30000).

Anyway, I'm fairly sure the eggs are infertile, and hacking them to become fertile would require hacking in a "genetic code" into them. And, even if that is successful, I still don't know if they'll hatch without a mother on top of the box at least for some time.

Does adventure mode allow you to train wild animals? Hatchlings take on the training level of the mother at the time the eggs were laid, so you'd get rather large wild offspring if you succeeded, which probably means you need to capture them in cage traps (unless you DFHack them to become tame).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version