Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Do I get a "dead" civ to generate so I can play as one?  (Read 2429 times)

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How Do I get a "dead" civ to generate so I can play as one?
« on: April 23, 2018, 01:51:07 pm »

Subject says it all. I like having to build up a fortress through population growth as oppossed to endless waves of migrants. It makes things a bit harder.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Do I get a "dead" civ to generate so I can play as one?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 03:15:24 pm »

If you won't use DFHack:
- Change the raws for dwarves to give them a single civ.
- Set up a world where there's a high risk/chance the dorfs are clobbered (PSV worlds are good for this).
- Generate the world, and abort if the dwarven civ expands or their site isn't ruined, or at least conquered, within 200 years.
- Copy the save.
- Embark at a random location.
- Check the civ screen immediately after embark. If it's blank (not even a dwarven civ), the civ is dead. If so, kill DF, restore the copy and embark properly.
- Repeat the above 100 times or so (and I don't think that's an exaggeration).

If you're prepared to use DFHack:
Use the slabciv/permit_dead script pair. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165084.msg7526484#msg7526484. If the instructions there aren't sufficient they should be improved.

You can also use the pop cap to restrict migration, but then you'd still get the dwarven caravan and risk getting a mandate spewing monarch (as well as the other nobles). I personally play dead civs, rather than using pop caps.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 03:18:11 pm »

I gen worlds and then sift through them to find civs on the edge.  Usually you can pinpoint a time when they are.

I like almost dead civs, not dead ones.

To get dead ones, make less mountains and more evil/savagery, more necromancers, and more hostile civs.  Less humies, more elves or goblins.  I even made a second hostile civ.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:38:09 pm »

Can't you just turn pop cap right down to 0?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:55:30 pm »

Can't you just turn pop cap right down to 0?
Don't think entities have an actual pop-cap, do they? Only pop-caps for historical figures (per entity and per site). Abstract pops will still form (I think).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:59:32 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 01:06:15 am »

If there is an actual dead civ, in my experience they're always available to embark under. The trick is to use a utility like Legends Viewer to find what dwarven civ has been destroyed.
Besides a utility, you can also tell if one is dead if you see no colored territories on the map. I'm not entirely sure on this though... there might be a bug where a dead civ does have a town left but it's only filled with pets (sad).

Whether you're getting defeated civilizations at all is different issue.
In order to make dead civs more frequent, I would increase the Megabeast and Semibeast cap of the world by like 30% (advanced world parameters is actually pretty easy to use). This will make town attacks much more frequent and can lead to a somewhat barren world if you increase it even further. By year 100 on a Medium world, I usually have at least 2 dead civilizations for each race. I don't know if all will show up as an embark option but I know one of them will.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:08:11 am by Codyo »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 01:32:33 am »

If there is an actual dead civ, in my experience they're always available to embark under. The trick is to use a utility like Legends Viewer to find what dwarven civ has been destroyed.
Besides a utility, you can also tell if one is dead if you see no colored territories on the map. I'm not entirely sure on this though... there might be a bug where a dead civ does have a town left but it's only filled with pets (sad).

Whether you're getting defeated civilizations at all is different issue.
In order to make dead civs more frequent, I would increase the Megabeast and Semibeast cap of the world by like 30% (advanced world parameters is actually pretty easy to use). This will make town attacks much more frequent and can lead to a somewhat barren world if you increase it even further. By year 100 on a Medium world, I usually have at least 2 dead civilizations for each race. I don't know if all will show up as an embark option but I know one of them will.
No. DF culls fully dead civs from the list if there's any civ that isn't fully dead (I'm talking about embarkable civs, of course, not external ones). This means that any "dead" civ you'd find for embark in a world with a successful dwarven civ will merely be "struggling". The permit_dead script adds dead civs to the list of embarkable ones if any are available.
I'm not sure about the territory control check, as I've failed to find it to match when I looked at it, but mikekchar mentioned that it's updated every 10 years, so that may have been a factor. For the time being, I'll only trust the blank civ screen.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 02:27:22 am »

I have found that simply reducing peak count and pumping semi and actual megabeast populations to the maximum tends to do the trick in generating dead civs. Goblins tend to thrive on such worlds, and the combination of endless titan attacks and goblin skirmishes seem to do them in nicely.

You need at least one peak for the game to plant dwarven civs, but if you keep that number really small, it concentrates all the dwarves, making them easier to get hammered.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 10:28:53 am »

I get "dead" civs quite often with low civilization counts with maximum savagery and beasts. Usually they get wiped out a decade or 2 into the world, but like others have said due to various weird behaviour they can often be considered "struggling" for several hundred years afterwords even if no sites or dwarves technically exist. This can be further increased by adjusting your number of evil tiles generated, since that will result in more thriving goblins.