Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need a list of things that would be cool to build.  (Read 2408 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need a list of things that would be cool to build.
« on: April 24, 2018, 09:00:49 pm »

I've somehow ended up in a position where I can get paid to make videos of myself building random stuff. More specifically, random stuff that is flashy and shows off the equipment my employer offers.

I have access to basically everything you could possibly need to build anything: welding equipment, a CNC router, laser cutters/engravers, 3D printers, electronics workstations, woodworking tools, industrial sewing machines, and various other pieces of machinery. I also have a pile of microcontrollers, components, and miscellaneous hardware I can toss into the mix and a moderate (definitely not big) budget.

What cool stuff would you want to see built? The more outlandish, less practical, stranger, funnier, cooler, and/or more eye-catching the better.

Potential Ideas
  • Electroplating fictional coins and house crests with copper and silver.
  • Pneumatic third arm.
  • Stationary pneumatic Dwemer sphere centurion (moving limbs, but not rolling).
  • Optimus Prime mask / costume with moving faceplate.
  • Complete armor set à la Iron Man or another popular character.
  • Solar-powered buggy.
  • RC R2-D2 / BB-8.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:40:57 pm by Araph »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: I need a list of things that would be cool to build.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:35:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A mask that looks like Optimus Prime's head, complete with glowing blue eyes and something inside that moves his face plate up and down when you talk.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:10:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A mask that looks like Optimus Prime's head, complete with glowing blue eyes and something inside that moves his face plate up and down when you talk.

That'd be a good one - cool, but small and not too expensive. I'm gonna get a list going in the OP of the things I'm already looking into and adding that to it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 06:19:39 pm »

You want to cash in on any of the huge fanbases (or all of them really) out there, kinda like what man-at-arms does with their weapons (tho part of that is directly sponsored stuff I think). Ideally you'd have something of a theme in what you build (like say weapons from the previous example) so folks know what to expect, or I guess you can build whatever comes to mind (and once you get a bit of a following sift trough the comments to get even more ideas).

Since you have a bunch of different stuff maybe a random armor piece/set? If you've got electronics (LEDs, electric motors maybe) maybe got for some sci-fi stuff that'd look cool animated, like say that optimus head Levi suggested, or something insane like Isaac's helm from Dead Space. Hell, the MCU is all the rage atm, build an Iron Man helmet with an actuated face-plate (tho I'm sure there's a number of those out there, think someone made an entire goddamn suit full with various moving parts, pretty much all of it 3d printed).

You could try making scale models of various stuff too, from buildings and vehicles to various props even.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 07:18:04 pm »

You want to cash in on any of the huge fanbases (or all of them really) out there, kinda like what man-at-arms does with their weapons (tho part of that is directly sponsored stuff I think). Ideally you'd have something of a theme in what you build (like say weapons from the previous example) so folks know what to expect, or I guess you can build whatever comes to mind (and once you get a bit of a following sift trough the comments to get even more ideas).
That's the main idea, yeah. I used Hacksmith as a reference, since he also builds a bunch of MCU gadgets (similar to Man-at-Arms, but with gadgets instead of weapons).

I figured I could get a bit of a spread of IPs. The Dwemer centurion from The Elder Scrolls and electroplating house crests from Game of Thrones were my first ideas (the electroplating one is mostly because it'd be the simplest to make).

Since you have a bunch of different stuff maybe a random armor piece/set? If you've got electronics (LEDs, electric motors maybe) maybe got for some sci-fi stuff that'd look cool animated, like say that optimus head Levi suggested, or something insane like Isaac's helm from Dead Space. Hell, the MCU is all the rage atm, build an Iron Man helmet with an actuated face-plate (tho I'm sure there's a number of those out there, think someone made an entire goddamn suit full with various moving parts, pretty much all of it 3d printed).
A full armor set would be great, especially if it's wired up with various electronics. I'll add that to the list.

You could try making scale models of various stuff too, from buildings and vehicles to various props even.
Scale models would definitely be something to look into. One other idea I had was a solar-powered go-kart of some sort, but I think it'd be way better if I could find a small vehicle of some sort from a sci-fi franchise and create a replica of that.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 07:21:28 pm »

So i'm just saying: Articulated (metal) gargoyle(s). Perfect for gloomy gothic decoration with a touch of awesome that can be posed as you see fit. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 11:22:01 pm »

So i'm just saying: Articulated (metal) gargoyle(s). Perfect for gloomy gothic decoration with a touch of awesome that can be posed as you see fit. :v
That would be a cool 'un, and it'd be a lot cheaper to build posable ones than it would be to build robotic versions of them. I'll add that to the list.

Also, I pitched the first few ideas and they were well received! The first couple of videos are gonna have a materials budget of around $500 each, which will (hopefully) increase as we begin building an audience and proving that this sort of video content is an effective form of marketing.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 08:45:41 am »

A house on a hill.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 09:06:20 am »

RC-controlled R2-D2.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 07:42:00 pm »

A house on a hill.
I dunno, I'd be too worried about betrayals.

RC-controlled R2-D2.
Added to the list.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 08:08:53 pm »

But seriously, custom board game boards could be awesome. You can make them real fancy.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 12:21:04 am »

A retractable piston poker to flip light switches.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 03:02:51 am »

A barracks from Warcraft 3.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 01:33:11 pm »

RC BB-8 and R2-D2? Been there, done that!

You should do Metal Gear Mk.2, from Policenauts and MGS4! AFAIK no one's done a to-scale version of that that can move.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 04:56:25 pm »

What about the Infinity Gauntlet?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: [1] 2