Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: JumpStakes: Fortress of Blisters  (Read 8021 times)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in starting a succession game?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 07:57:26 am »

Ita best to bring bituminous coal because they yield more coke than lignite and cost the same on embark.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 08:13:36 am »

That's true, but after a I spent whole afternoon worldgening in order to get both embark and civ I wanted I learned: Meh, good enough.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 09:03:55 am »

That's true, but after a I spent whole afternoon worldgening in order to get both embark and civ I wanted I learned: Meh, good enough.

The feels are real
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.

TheLostCow

• Bay Watcher
  • What am I going to do with all these bodies?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 09:16:27 am »

Hmm...
Ok, I'll generate the world over the weekend and try and get my turn out of the way before exams roll around. Hopefully I can afford a mace on embark, but if there's anything you guys might need in particular let me know. Here's to hoping we get a site with decent metals and no insta-death.

edit: I guess it's probably time for me to toughen up and learn the default tileset. But there's nothing you can do to get me to relinquish dwarf therapist. I'm kinda stuck to dfhack (mainly cause I looooove the workflow options) but I guess I could attempt to leave it out.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:23:24 am by TheLostCow »

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 11:28:35 am »

There's no need to let go from DFHack, I use it a lot too, just dont go for scripts like "reveal", now that's too much!

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 11:41:12 am »

Dwarf Therapist helps me get through traumatic times. A session with it really helps. Too bad I can't get it to work for me.

Sign me up. Strangely, I seem to consistently be taking middle turns.

For embark make the site as big as your computer can handle. I love having big embark sites. They allow for huge projects.

WARNING: I haven't figured out military yet.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:45:39 am by Caesar Josephus »
"What could possibly go wrong?" - Quill18

I would be careful... Kamatec may seem jovial, but he secretly leads an endless legion of Lawyers.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 12:04:38 pm »

If kametec feels really full of turns right now, I don't mind being first, I've got some free time now, especially cause tomorrow It's holiday here in Brazil, so if you want me to make gen the world for you, I would have no problem!

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 12:36:12 pm »

I think I'm decent on starting up a fort. I don't really have any experience with developed fort though. If I can, can I get moved up on turn order? If not that's just fine, it's about time I got some time with an intermediate fort. Whoever is coming after should be surprised if I accidentally breach a cavern and let in a GCS without taking proper measures.
"What could possibly go wrong?" - Quill18

I would be careful... Kamatec may seem jovial, but he secretly leads an endless legion of Lawyers.

TheLostCow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 06:08:50 pm »

Ok, I'll switch up the order so we can start earlier and so I don't stuff everything up. GPeter, maybe max size 4x5? My computer's kinda rubbish, but it should be able to handle that.

edit: oh yeah I was going to do this on my turn, but could you dorf me in as the expedition leader, "Kaemurl"? Thanks.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 08:47:29 pm »

No problem, I'll gen the world by now, just a question, do you guys mind if I create a small world? We're just going to focus on the Fortress anyway, and It kinda helps with FPS a little...

TheLostCow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 09:40:50 pm »

That’d actually be great, I tend to go for 3x3 or 2x2 depending on how long the fort is going to get played.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 10:16:51 pm »

My reports usually go from the perspective of a dwarf, so, if you see something written in this color, it means It's a commentary of me, not the dwarf!

JumpStake Fortress, Officer GPeter report:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, we're going to settle down in a quite forgotten area, no one goes there, they say the mountain is haunted... that's why we're going to build a fortress there, if this "curse" can't take us down, nothing can! For the glory of Armok... I'm just pissed that we couldn't decide our fortress name, what kind of fucking elvish name is "JumpStakes"? Whatever... The queen has guaranteed trading caravans and everything, and also some supllies including a map of the place:

Our Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our Supllies:

Not much... but enough.

15Th of Granite

We've finally made it, upon stoping the wagon, something immediately gets my atention:

There's a little shack built here, out of Sea Lamprey Leather Wall...

A whole lot of them, one even got a campfire on it! Apparently we're not the first in here, I just hope that whoever built this, be friendly, or be dead...

Our expedition leader here is "Kaemurl" but I'm acctuallly the one who give the orders around here, all he does is cut trees and brew booze, the last one is pretty important, but we'll assume he's not going to stop doing it for anything, so whatever.

Beyond Kaemurl, here we have me. I used to be an Axedwarf on our fortress, but as we got peace with the... elves... I had to become a Miner now... and we also have these guys:

Well, time to work, I gathered the other miners and started doing some digging, we're not lingering outside much anymore, I heard this mountain has rains that make you spit your guts! I don't really believe it, but I'm definitely not staying outside to confirm it!

I'll tell our mason to establish himself on the workshop we're digging below, we need some doors ASAP.

Well shit, it was true... Unfortunately, our carpenter was outside when this happened... She started having some fever and some nasty wounds...

Pretty nasty... but not lethal at least, just hope it's not contagious...

As we don't have any door available to put on the entrance to be able to seal us off, I ordered a wall to be built on the entrance, no one is going out while we don't have a door, or that mucus rain stop!

But apparently, Kaemurl wanted to show who's boss here, and now has the same wounds, pretty fucking smart dude...

Well, our mason is established now that the workshop is dug, so I told him to make some doors.

For those who didn't understand my workshop design, it works like this:

Door set up, and forbidden, it's still raining out there, I just hope it doesn't take too long, people will start to get thirsty soon...

I also begun digging a farm area

Soon we'll have mushroons to brew, aside from the ones we brought from far.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll continue later, It's getting late now and I'm getting drowzy, tomorrow I'll try to get my turn finished, if not, then on the weekend it will be.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:18:48 pm by GPeter »

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 10:17:32 pm »

Change the title of the topic, we now have a name, JumpStakes!

TheLostCow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: JumpStakes
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 10:35:57 pm »

Thank Armok it's not reanimating!
Or is it?

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »

I know I said I was going to sleep, but then I said, "Just 5 more minutes" and here we are...

JumpStake Fortress, Officer GPeter report:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I dug out a main storage area opposit to our workshop to put everything we brought

Now, all there's left outside are the coal we brought on embark, we're not using those now, so they can stay outside, I'm locking the door, we're going to dig to the caves for wood from fungiwood, NO ONE is going outside anymore...

Meanwhile, I noticed our pack animals getting hungry, I can't let them stay outside to graze, because of the mucus rain, so it's best to just butcher them already, put them out their misery...
I'm also doing this to find out if we got a reanimating biome or not

So... after Kaemurl butchered a camel, one the most weirdest and horrifying things happened right before my eyes, the skin and the FUCKING HAIR OF THE CAMEL GAINED LIFE AND TRIED TO ATTACK US!!!! Apparently, Skin and Hair can punch, somehow, anyway, we got rid of them... Gotta take note, everything that dies on this mountain, comes back to life.

Our farmer did get wounded though...

Again, not a lethal wound, so get back to work!

Now... we still don't have any beds, that's going to be a problem in the future, but not anymore:

Here in Brazil, we have a saying "Nunca cante vitória cedo demais" wich could be translated to "Never claim victory too early"

Upon first look at the cave, I yelled in so much anger...

THERE'S NO FUNGIWOOD DOWN HERE! AND IT WILL TAKE AN ETERNITY FOR THEM TO GROW FROM NOW...

Fuck it, we gonna have to go for plan B, I'm digging a new workshop to house our carpentry industry, and when it get ready, we'll go out to cut down some trees and quickly get all the wood inside.

No, we're not.

Ahhh, gotta wait for that rain to end...

Meanwhile, I dug out a small garbage chute, to dump every corpse that may try to rise and kill us, so we dump It before it even rises:

And down those corpses go:

Apparently, everyone's dumping the corpses on the little ramp instead of down the hole, so I ordered a floor to be built above the ramp, and problem solved.

Ok, the rain stopped, we'll try to get some wood now, the stockpile is set, now we just need to go outside and chop down some trees, and by "we" I mean Kaemurl:

I must admit that I kinda freaked out when I saw a bunch S's running towards Kaemurl, but they were just Flying Squirrels...

Now everyone go for the wood logs, those are our beds!

BUUUUUUT, as we dashed outside, It started raining mucus again (It can be seen on the GIF) and now everyone got blisters on the whole body, but at least we've got wood!

As we were bringing the wood inside, something went through my mind. We don't have a still yet! And our booze supply should be close to the end by now, so We're building one right now, beds are important, but booze is FAR more.

Now that the wood stockpile is full, the front door can be locked again...

Ok, now I'm going to sleep for real, It's 01:28 AM here, dammit, Dwarf Fortress is so addicting...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:33:44 pm by GPeter »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6