Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making detailed decorations  (Read 1016 times)

bostltch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making detailed decorations
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:50:40 pm »

So a while back I remember seeing someone post something about adding their fortresses symbol and things to all of the armors they made to help with roll playing and such. Is that actually a thing? For as long as I've been playing the only decorating I ever do is setting the gem cutter to repeat for my crafts.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making detailed decorations
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:21:08 am »

It's definitely a thing, for decorating and engraving. And there's an option at embark to create your own fortress symbol. You could probably dress your dwarves in matching jackets embroidered with the fortress logo. The only limitation I've found is that choosing specific items to get decorated is still a PITA.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 03:51:39 am »

I make a manager task for undecorated items.  I do it in specific workshops and limit those workshops to dwarfs that don't usually do the task and don't have any other crafting jobs (like miners).  Basically that means that anything that isn't already decorated gets the fortress symbol and my dwarfs get to craft.  Anything that is already decorated, don't have a crappy logo stock on it :-)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:07:40 am »

This is an embroidery of two arches in yellow silk thread. It is a symbol of the civilisation 'The Sons of Donald'. 
This is an engraving of a mermaid. It is a symbol of the civilisation 'The Buck of Stars'.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

bostltch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:50:39 pm »

So specifically for armors, I should just assign an armor stock pile to the craftdwarf's workshop? The only way to get my symbol on them is with cloth though right? No just carving into it? I just really want my totally original fortress symbol of a dwarf fighting a dragon on all of my military's helmets.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 11:31:59 pm »

So specifically for armors, I should just assign an armor stock pile to the craftdwarf's workshop? The only way to get my symbol on them is with cloth though right? No just carving into it? I just really want my totally original fortress symbol of a dwarf fighting a dragon on all of my military's helmets.

You can get your symbol on with all sorts of materials: A craftdwarf's shop will do bone, shell, hoof, and pearl. Gem Setters can make images with cut gems. Clothiers and leatherworkers will sew images, though I'm not sure if they can sew onto metal. For decorating armor, consider studding at a forge.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 01:57:12 am »

If you're on of the elf haters you should definitely try to do it with wood.
I've never done decorations myself, but I've accidentally pissed off elven merchants because some garbage clothing recovered from gobbos or gobbo killed visitors were decorated with wood, so it's definitely possible in some cases.

bostltch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 10:36:58 pm »

For decorating armor, consider studding at a forge.

Oh my god I'm so dumb. I never realized that studding had more options. I guess because of the name I always just thought of studding at the forge as making, well studded armor, like little rivets or whatever. Thanks!