Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: !!NAKED IGNITION!! {ARSON COP MONSTERHEARTS}  (Read 5228 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: !!NAKED IGNITION!! {ARSON COP MONSTERHEARTS}
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 10:22:22 am »

We could also make it a Black Box: none of us know what's inside, and we all cooperate in increasing the mystery around it until we find the right time to expose it.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 12:19:10 pm »

We could also make it a Black Box: none of us know what's inside, and we all cooperate in increasing the mystery around it until we find the right time to expose it.

Yes, let us do this. Lots of meaningful glances and enigmatic implications all around.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 04:22:17 am »

Room for one more? If not, consider this my PTW.

Edit: I could play a Mortal, the rookie cop who's way out of his league. The Mortal declares their backstory last anyway, so the late join would be less of a problem.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:08:53 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 05:16:13 am »

Sure, why not! Do up your character sheet and we'll drop you right in.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 06:07:14 am »

Edit: I could play a Mortal, the rookie cop who's way out of his league. The Mortal declares their backstory last anyway, so the late join would be less of a problem.
Read the mortal sex move, it will be an interesting day in the department.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 06:24:45 am »

My name is Detective Jackie Hawkins, and I'm a mere Mortal man, but damn if I'm not going to clean this town up. Or, maybe, "cleaning it up" is a little ambitious... Still, though I'm the new cop in town and I may look a little awkward, nothing shall escape my, er, nervous eyes? Sorry, that sounded better in my head. I guess I'm still fresh out of the academy and haven't quite figured out all that's Down The Rabbit Hole, but I'll stop at nothing in my search for True Love- wait, I meant criminals! Petty crooks! Ugh, again, sorry for the slip. I guess I am looking for a stable, Entrenched relationship, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of my job! Ah, did I shout again? I suppose I'm somewhat impulsive and panicky. Even so, maybe I'll get my chance soon. My big moment, the one that shows everyone what I can do, is yet to come. I can only hope I'll find it here at the Arson desk.

(Hot: +2, Cold: -1, Volatile: +1, Dark: -1)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:14:48 am by IcyTea31 »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 10:02:14 am »

Nice work, Icy. Since you missed out on the town questions, here's one for you.

There's a dark secret in Varme, hiding under the surface, threatening to boil over and hurt everyone in town.
But you're trying to ignore it.
What are you afraid will happen if you exposed it?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 10:46:32 am »

When Merisa looked into the statistics of the department for the first time, she saw that the few good agents in this place were spread across the place, as part of the restructuring she has done a small crew led by her was made, this crew included April Storm, one of the few new forensic scientist she had to pull some strings to get, Detective Frank Washington, A veteran in the department well known for his deductive abilities and relaxed attitude, and  Detective Mike Smith, A raising star within the department, with his by the book attitude and a keen eye for clues he has the highst solved cases presentage in this department.

When Merisa saw the name Jennifer Blaze she started to sweat, The Blaze family is known for their complete control over this town, whether it's legal or not, the Blaze family have their hands in this somehow, meeting her in person didn't get her relaxed, the girl is connected to a dark power from beyond this world, the capabilities of which doesn't know by anyone, the only positive thing from this experience is that at least for now, Jennnifer don't look detremental to the department working.

JJennifer and Merisa get a string on each other
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:36:17 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 11:39:53 am »

The dark secret of Varme? Well, even if I haven't been here for long, I suppose I'm the right person to go to for it. It's really something beyond your usual corrupt politicians and Blaze Pharma up to a few shady things, those are pretty everyday secrets. See, there's this fairground here, Summer Kingdom, and it looks like your usual amusement park. You know, rollercoasters, ferris wheels and stuff. But it's also host to a court of fairies. I know it sounds weird, but hear me out: I managed to connect a few dots in the cold cases I read over when I was orienting myself to this town, and the signs pointed to a time and a place. I caught them in the middle of a ritual of some sort, and they made me swear not to tell anyone about them, or they'd make sure I really regretted it. With the magic I saw them use, I really don't want to take the risk. I guess telling it to you doesn't count, dear diary, but I think I'll have to burn this page anyway. Still, I worry about the fact that the park has been failing lately; they're talking about selling it so it could be demolished for redevelopment. How would the fairies react?

((The other dark secret is, of course, that there are monsters in the police department. It does raise a question, however: does the general public know about the supernatural? If not, do even our colleagues?))
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:45:44 am by IcyTea31 »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 02:05:25 pm »

Nice work, both of you! This is giving me a lot of material...
So, there's a few ways we can tackle the "does the general public know".

Monsterhearts operates from the presumption that being a monster is best kept secret. This does not have to mean they're ignorant of the supernatural.
All that's required of the setting is that if you revealed yourself to be a monster, it'd be very very very bad.
I like a good masquerade, but it's ultimately up to how you guys want to play it.

Remember, Monsterhearts is a gothic romance at its heart; it's defined by the conflict between present-day rationalism and ancient superstition. Whatever we decide, keep that conflict alive: even if the supernatural is acknowledged, it should never be accepted.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 09:49:46 am »

Perhaps we don't need to go crazy about public knowledge. How about this? There are a lot of stories and legends, but most people don't believe in them. Some people swear they've seen angels or that demons speak to them or what have you, but few take them seriously. If the governments or other authorities know about the supernatural, they're denying it. There is a masquerade, but it runs more on bribery, coercion, influence and "nobody will believe you" than on magic or violence (it's easier to deal with a "crazy crackpot" than to get away with murder). There isn't any central authority to manage this masquerade, but individual monsters and small communities generally agree that being outed would be a Bad Thing.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 10:04:50 am »

Perhaps we don't need to go crazy about public knowledge. How about this? There are a lot of stories and legends, but most people don't believe in them. Some people swear they've seen angels or that demons speak to them or what have you, but few take them seriously. If the governments or other authorities know about the supernatural, they're denying it. There is a masquerade, but it runs more on bribery, coercion, influence and "nobody will believe you" than on magic or violence (it's easier to deal with a "crazy crackpot" than to get away with murder). There isn't any central authority to manage this masquerade, but individual monsters and small communities generally agree that being outed would be a Bad Thing.
+1
Edit: should we say how much we know on the magic?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:11:38 am by Rockeater »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 02:34:33 pm »

I imagine Sugar's encountered the supernatural, but doesn't really know a whole lot about it. Sure, he might've stumbled upon a gang of predatory vampires at a nightclub and gone all fur versus fang on them, but it wasn't the kind of situation where he got to ask a lot of questions, you know? Maybe he knows some people who are a little more pale than usual and get oddly excited at the thought of eating human flesh, or maybe his apartment is actually haunted by a restless spirit, but it's not Sugar's style to really question that sort of thing any more than he questions his werewolfyness (which is like, not a big change in his life anyway).

Hell, I'm considering if he even realizes he's a werewolf... could be that sometimes the emotions take over and he blacks out, finding himself at the center of terrible destruction afterwards. But really - that happened before he was bitten too, only there was more alcohol and slightly less destruction usually involved.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 04:50:10 pm »

That all sounds wonderful to me. Love the idea that Sugar isn't even aware he's a werewolf: remember, the less stable ground your character has to stand on regarding themselves, the better.
As for saying how much your character knows about magic, I'd leave it up to your discretion. If you have it figured out, say it, but if you don't, decide it in play.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 03:06:51 pm »

Pretty much everybody has dirt on Jennifer, it's not exactly hard to come by. She's the girl who sleeps through staff meetings, asks people to fill in for her during the kissing babies part of the job, and flaunts the dress code whenever possible. Threat of her family's reprisal, along with whatever strings Funny Bunny pulled, keeps that dirt burying her- but there's a few people who have something above and beyond the usual.

SK8ER-COP, for instance, doesn't seem to care about her family's connections and seems much more concerned with that time she 'accidentally' locked his skateboard in evidence. While is devotion to the law is adorably, and he does have some pretty fabulous moves on a board, he doesn't respond to Jennifer's aggressive approach to slacking the way most people do- and that's disturbing.

Sugar is a bit of a different beast. The whole 'ferocious beast of a man' thing is a bit of a turn off for her (Jennifer prefers her men more placid and reliable), but he did do her a favor- the kind of favor you can't pay back by buying someone a bearclaw and a coffee. Jennifer doesn't know when he's going to call it in, but it's still a hanging threat between them.

Funny Bunny, of course, does a good job with continuing to poke her. More recruitment, and constant reminders about how she owes all her current comforts in life to him.

Of course, on the bright side, there's always Hawkins- who's adorable. So ready to fix the world, so absolutely tender, and so completely ignorant of how things work. Considering the name and his general demeanor, it's very difficult for Jennifer to avoid addressing him as 'Cabin-Boy'. Still, he seems to see more of Funny Bunny's touch on her than most, and might even entertain some delusion of saving her. A notion which is as hilarious as it is pitiful.

SK8ER-COP gets a string on Jennifer
Sugar gets a string on Jennifer
Funny Bunny gets a string on Jennifer
Jennifer gets on string on the cabin boy. Err, on Hawkins.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5