Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories

Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12

(1/82) > >>

QuQuasar:
Onlilgor, "Breakfastpit"
Breadbowl II: Bread Harder

Excerpt from Foodstuffs of the Peoples of the Realm, Chapter 4.2 - Dwarven Cuisine by Cadem Slopfeasts

--- Quote ---"The foodstuffs of the dwarves are widely considered to be an acquired taste: acquired, that is, by deciding eating them is just barely preferable to starving to death and/or resorting to cannibalism.

Take for instance the common Plump Helmet, an invasive purple fungus that grows voraciously underground, and is staple of most dwarven diets. Those unlucky enough to have tried this 'delicacy' generally liken it's taste and texture to "decades-old loincloth leather soaked in cat urine".

It is perhaps unsurprising, then, that the dwarves habitually blunt their already underdeveloped senses with alcohol. Certainly if I was frequently forced to consume their dishes I would wish to be equally inebriated."
--- End quote ---

Oddom Relicgang, the dwarven queen of The Basic Gates finished quoting the book in front of her and closed it, raising an eyebrow at her husband Rigoth over their private dinner table as she lifted a fork to her mouth.

"An insult to dwarves everywhere!" Rigoth said, thumping the table. "This will not stand. I will mobilize the assassins at once!"

"Hold, husband. It is not an insult without some merit," said Oddom, chewing her food thoughtfully. "You must admit there is a certain... cat-like aftertaste. Waiter? What is this dish?"

“Chef's specialty, your majesty. Dodu casque brűlé,“ said the waitdwarf formally.  “It consists of masterfully prepared plump helmet, stuffed with exceptionally minced plump helmet, superiorly garnished with plump helmet and with a side of plump helmet. The chef recommended we serve it with a mug of plump helmet wine.”

"Hmm," Oddom looked down at her food before politely pushing it to the side and said, “Go to the chef and tell them they’re a militiadwarf now. Make sure the commander stations them somewhere far, far away from the kitchen.”

“At once, your majesty,” said the waiter, bowing deeply.

“And you, Rigoth dear. Could you find me seven farmdwarves who seem restless? I have a task for them.”

Rigoth noted the glint in his queen's eye and smiled grimly. "What exactly are you planning, dear?"

"We are going to rewrite the chapter on Dwarven Cuisine."

This was originally intended to be a standard 2-week 1-year succession fort with a goal: export as much quantity and variety of food and drink as possible.

... things did not go according to plan. Beset by werepigs, undead goblins, necromancers and a bunch of murderous alcoholic midgets, producing food has become a secondary goal to simply surviving another year in our "peaceful farming settlement".

Rules:

* Trade all your food and drink to every caravan.
- After every trade, you should have no edible food or drink left.
- Humans are considered couriers delivering to the Mountainhome. Elves do not exist in this world.

* No buying food from the caravans.
- You'll need to produce your food, not buy it.

* Underground crops are not allowed.
 - Enclosed crops (aboveground crops underneath some sort of roof) are allowed, on one condition: the roof must be made of glass.

* Report the export value of each trade you make.
- We will use trade value as a proxy for quantity, since it's so much easier to measure.
- For plot purposes, our goal is to feed all 4899 dwarves of our civilization. This will take approximately 80,000 units of drink (400,000☼) and 40,000 units of food(4,000,000☼).

* Handover will take place at the start of winter
- This way, each overseers trade quantities won't be influenced by food stockpiled during winter by the previous overseer.

More general rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Turns
    - Duration: 1 year or 2 weeks, whichever comes first.
    - Turns will be skipped if you fail to respond or stop updating.
    - Extensions past the 2-week point will be granted if you put a lot of work into high-quality updates.
Graphics
    - You can use graphics sets, but for convenience's sake the save should always be converted back to ASCII when passing turns.
Exploits
    - You can use your own judgement on what is and is not an exploit, but stay away from obvious hacks. Maintain the suspension of disbelief!
Editing the RAWs/Using DFHack
    - Using utilities to simplify the game or recover FPS is fine. Anything the LazyNewbPack does by default is fine.
    - Check with me if there's any doubt. I'll sign off on making creatures war-trainable or increasing merchant animals carrying capacity.
    - Anything that involves changing dwarf stats or killing specific targets is cheating and thus completely unacceptable. Same goes for fastdwarf, reveal-all, etc.
Savescumming
    - Savescumming is acceptable in moderation, but don't overuse it: from a narrative standpoint, the occasional massacre or accidental drowning is a good thing.
Goals

* feed every dwarf of our civilization

* build farms for every type of above-ground crop

* pasture a breeding pair of as many types of animal as possible, with an emphasis on rare and exotic meats.

For dorfing or a turn, ask and ye shall recieve.

Turn List

Quasar - A new beginning

Traded
435 Prepared Food (43,484☼)
136 Drink (642☼)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Embark
Arrival and Founders
Spring
Summer
Midsummer
Autumn
Trade
End of Autumn
2. FakerFangirl

Trade records lost

Spoiler (click to show/hide)main post
3. Kametec_Housen

Traded
486 Prepared Food 48.637☼
34 Drink 172☼

Spoiler (click to show/hide)felsite
hematite
trade and paperwork
malachite
winter and more trade

4. Sanctume
Trade: no trade contact made

Spoiler (click to show/hide)role-call
Nine temples birth
siege breaker
5 Carch

Traded
168 Prepared Food 16.887☼
156 Drink 781☼

Spoiler (click to show/hide)spring and summer
autumn
6. Bearskie

Trade pending

Spoiler (click to show/hide)who's in charge again?
noises in the walls
role-call
7. GPeter
8. Dozebôm Lolumzalěs
9. Vaporo

Dwarf List

You may be redorfed after death, but you'll need to come up with a new name.  No resurrections, body-hopping or suspiciously similar distant cousins please.

Quasar - Bookkeeper/Founder - Dead
Faker Fangirl - Armourer/Founder - Dead/Zombified/Deanimated
Sanctume - Cook/Herbalist/Founder - Dead
Lunardog - Carpenter/Founder - Dead/Zombified/Deanimated
Moony The Human - Carpenter - Werepig
Kametec Housen - Planter/Miller/Founder - Dead/Zombified/Deanimated
Hydrangea - Troll slaying demigoddess (also a cook)
Zan - Sworder/Commander/Founder
Imic - male/chef/some musical ability
LordBrassroast - Dead
VoiceBook - Dead
Akko - Widow
Ace - Macedwarf - Dead/Made into a glorious bone bin artifact by Akko
Species0Unknown - Hammerer
Dozebom - Animal Trainer
LordBrassroast - Miner
Auze - Scholar
Carch - Mad Scientist
Noloc - Translator

Diggy - Undwarfed
Killermartian - Undwarfed

QuQuasar:
Quotable Quotes

--- Quote from: MoonyTheHuman on April 28, 2018, 12:31:47 am ---oh no not again

--- End quote ---
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
--- Quote from: FakerFangirl on May 02, 2018, 05:33:31 pm ---What's the worst that could happen? Time to make farms!

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: Kametec_Housen on May 19, 2018, 09:39:35 pm ---Moony apparently armed himself at some time. He got hold of some poor soul's sock and started bashing shambling corpses with it. Oh yeah. A large pig twisted into humanoid form with glowing eyes beating on a shambling corpse with a sock. I now know why I fear the night.

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: QuQuasar on May 20, 2018, 09:29:29 pm ---Well that escalated quickly.

Year 1: We built some farms!
Year 2: Luckily for the survivors, the corpses of several of our founding dwarves rose from the dead as anti-life abominations in order to avenge themselves against the founding dwarf who had transformed into a sock-wielding pig-monster and murdered them all.

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: QuQuasar on May 21, 2018, 09:39:13 pm ---
--- Quote from: Bearskie on May 21, 2018, 12:09:22 pm ---If our goal is to grow crops and dance around the campfire singing kumbaya like Breadbowl, then yeah PERHAPS EMBARKING IN A DESERT OF ZOMBIES WASN'T SUCH A GOOD IDEA.
--- End quote ---
Technically it's a shoreline of zombies. Which is why it was a great idea!

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: Kametec_Housen on May 27, 2018, 08:16:29 am ---I don't like summer. It is really hot, I get sweaty all the time and have to take bath every month. And the pile of corpses in front of the longhouse smells worse than usual.
--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: Moonstone_Flower on May 28, 2018, 04:43:06 pm ---
--- Quote from: Sanctume on May 28, 2018, 04:12:58 pm ---[...] She is a widow.

[..] dreams of raising a family.

--- End quote ---

Ouch.

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: Bearskie on May 29, 2018, 02:14:33 am ---
--- Quote from: Imic on May 28, 2018, 06:06:21 am ---Weren't we supposed to be a farming fort?

--- End quote ---

Stage 1: Fertilize the ground with the blood of innocents

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: Imic on May 30, 2018, 01:33:47 am ---This is going well.

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: Sanctume on May 31, 2018, 10:32:35 am ---Oh, that Ushrir kid that was walled in from lack of leather-strange mood--it's in a white sand workshop; so we have a zombie (3 year old kid) there, survived by a 4 year old orphaned sibling.

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: Carch on June 08, 2018, 05:01:06 am ---Akko has gone into a fell mood, grabbing 'ace' and killing him before dragging the corpse to a carpenter's workshop.

also. Hydrangea started tantrumming in the middle of making a crime report about someone tantrumming. which was fairly amusing.

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: Bearskie on June 14, 2018, 05:10:40 am ---One week later we are angry again. Someone peeked into the water system. It was crudely-engineered and open to the outside. What if the dead come through it? There is also a dead baby in the pipes.

[spoiler]

Dead babies should not be in pipes. Dead babies should be in dead baby cribs.
--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: Sanctume on June 22, 2018, 03:49:37 pm ---
--- Quote from: Bearskie on June 22, 2018, 03:28:29 am ---MEGASHAFT tm SCHEMATICS

The MEGASHAFTtm is a alternative trapped entrance to the fort, and will be built upon an 80z natural cavern shaft exacavated by miners. Such a deep shaft is an extraordinary find, and a fall from full height would be more than enough to destroy even the hardiest of creatures. The main route will be a three-story snaking path across the lip of the MEGASHAFTtm.
--- End quote ---
Make the bottom a place to eat, have some nest box around, some pig to butcher, and maybe olive oil, potato to hash and brown, and call it breakfastpit.

--- End quote ---

Sanctume:
Oh I'm in.  But my next 2 to 3 weekends are booked.  So put me on the 3rd or 4th turn please?

FakerFangirl:
Sign me up. But I'll only need 4 days for my turn. I nominate settling near a river.

Kametec_Housen:
I'm up for this, sign me up, please! As for embark preferences.. Clay is a must have. If we're going to build above ground, we need bricks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version