Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 64899 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.09
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2018, 09:32:36 am »

Yay! I'm dorfed! Given the sudden change to religion, I suggest decorating all armor with the symbols of Gods and stuff to 'ward off' the evil. And may our hammers and shields provide a bastion against the undead!
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2018, 11:40:04 am »

Busy two days, anyway we're up to summer, so that's half a year done. The whole fort is descending into madness thanks to 44.10, with Toady's new update tantalisingly close in a week's time. I'm not even trying to keep them happy anymore, it's damage control all the way as I try to mitigate the effects of their tantrums from killing others through brutal dwarven justice. I'll try to get some story out tomorrow.

@Vaporo: Sure, want a dorf, or you'll do it yourself?

Vaporo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2018, 12:29:39 pm »

Busy two days, anyway we're up to summer, so that's half a year done. The whole fort is descending into madness thanks to 44.10, with Toady's new update tantalisingly close in a week's time. I'm not even trying to keep them happy anymore, it's damage control all the way as I try to mitigate the effects of their tantrums from killing others through brutal dwarven justice. I'll try to get some story out tomorrow.

@Vaporo: Sure, want a dorf, or you'll do it yourself?

Naw, I'll do it myself if when my turn comes around. Thanks, though.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2018, 08:21:37 am »

figured I'd go through and fill in the turn list as far as I could find. haven't added anyone new to this yet, but I could.

Turn List

Quasar - A new beginning

Traded
435 Prepared Food (43,484☼)
136 Drink (642☼)

2. FakerFangirl
main post

Trade records LOST

3. Kametec_Housen

Traded
Prepared Food 48.637☼
Drink 172☼

4. Sanctume
role-call
Nine temples birth
siege breaker
part 1, then part 3. I can find no part 2. but then, given this place, that shouldn't surprise anyone anymore.

Trade: no trade contact made

5. Lunardog15 (skipped)
5.5 Carch
spring and summer
autumn

Traded
Prepared Food 16.887☼
Drink 781☼

6. Bearskie
who's in charge again?
noises in the walls
role-call

Trade pending

7. Carch (skipped in favour of 5.5)

8. GPeter
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2018, 11:27:29 am »

Bearskie's Journal (3)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New faces arrive on the horizon. We glare at them with distrust as if they were spies of the dead. They arrived at our house of wood, we were shoring up the walls. Something in their eyes. Fear? Distrust? Greed? No, this were fresh dwarves with fresh thoughts. Surprise, maybe. An altogether more innocent emotion.

They wave at us papers, long and impressive. We ignore it because papers are of not much use in this place. You cannot cook it or fight with it. They get five logs each and orders to join us at the walls, for zombie season is one month away and short walls do not make good fortifications. We build the walls higher so that others may not enter.

---

It is zombie season. Hornbells ring and hurt our ears as we sight three dead-callers; they stand at the far perimeter just beyond our reach. Their arms are waving but they do not say hello. Buried bones shamble and rise to greet them.

The dead are like children, slow to wake and lacking in will, yet vicious and relentless once in sight of play (or prey). Zan the Sworder counts to sixty before sealing the gates. Three are trapped outside, they fists hammer against our bridge. I know not their names. I care not.

---

Two months since the gates were sealed. The air is stale in here. Cabin fever has begun to set in. No place to run, whether enemies or friends. The friendly boozeman who sings his songs, the angry commander who raises his sword. The bitter chef who whispers lies to our food, the werepig creature who dwells beneath our feet. All of us are locked down here together. We are seventy-nine rats in a ship. The ship is sinking. The rats are fighting.

Food is not a problem. We grow crops in the courtyard, behind makeshift walls built of sweat and labor. They are temperamental walls, barely enough to hide us if we crouch. One of the dead climbed over that day. His skull was ground into the dirt. The potatoes tasted of iron that day. Now we know we are not safe. Every day the walls speak to us. They moan, shuffle and groan too.

---

Three months. Our restlessness knows no bounds. To relieve stress we have directed our anger to the werepig dwarf. A hole is dug and bad names are shouted down the hole. The werepig dwarf looks at me with two beady eyes. I cannot tell if he is more pig or dwarf.

The broker holds a running pool on how long till he is driven insane. I am not a violent dwarf but I have one rations on six months long. Others with lower bets try to cheat by dumping rubbish and dead corpses down the shaft. When the cheating was discovered we dumped the cheater's teeth down too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:44:15 am by Bearskie »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2018, 07:31:32 pm »

figured I'd go through and fill in the turn list as far as I could find. haven't added anyone new to this yet, but I could.
Also update the turn list already Quasar, for hamster's sake.
Sorry for not getting back to this sooner, haven't had it in me to do much thanks to a combination of personal stuff and sickness. I'll try to update things now.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2018, 02:26:27 pm »

I just caught up, and I have to say this doesn't feel like a sequel to Breadbowl. I prefered when the danger was imaginary furry with adorable cheek pouches.
It does have its own charm - depression, horrible things happening one after another, reminds me of old legendary forts like Headshoots or Syrupleaf, but with less heroism and slightly more misery.

I won't be taking a turn, but I'll take a dwarf. A military dwarf of any kind, SQman if male, SQ if female, custom profession "paladin".

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2018, 03:57:46 pm »

Also update the turn list already Quasar, for hamster's sake.
Sorry for not getting back to this sooner, haven't had it in me to do much thanks to a combination of personal stuff and sickness. I'll try to update things now.

no worries, I figured it'd be something like that. just since I had the time I figured I'd put in a little help.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2018, 10:37:51 am »

Bearskie's Journal (4)

Shouting heard as I shovel strawberries down my gut. I step out amidst the crowd into the blinking sky. Rain streams down in rivulets upon Voicebook's back. He stood at the top of the wall, the fool smith! Shouting, shouting, he had enough of our madness - silence we cry, let not the dead come! - but he shouted on, ignoring us all, he was a dwarf broken in mind. Our crowd was restless, throw him out someone shouted, and once words were out the madness seized us once again. THROW HIM OUT BEFORE THE DEAD, roared the crowd in might.

We charged Voicebook the fool smith, and with fear in his eyes he toppled out the wall, beyond our sight. There was eternal silence after as he fled, in moments before his screams were consumed by the dead. We huddled beneath our walls like burrowed hamsters. The weaponsmith was dead, but we had no fight in us anyway.

---

I wait outside the XXgabbro doorXX office for my turn to be listened. There are many others in the queue, dwarves holding picks and chisels and swords and food. Child dwarves yet unable to work, elder dwarves old as time like me. In Breakfastpit there are no bread lines, but there are therapy lines. In meetings we ramble with voices raised and angry, but Mayor Tosid understands. Mayor Tosid listens. She is a sponge for our despair.

But today it is Mayor Tosid's voice who is raised and angry. She says needs rooms, decent rooms with chairs-tables-beds-chests-and-all-things. I ask why she needs weapon racks and armor stands, but then she yells she is noble. Nobles need to fight? No, but nobles get what they want she screams. Do nobles get what they want? Noble Mayor Tosid storms out of the office, leaving us without meeting and with more despair.

Later at dinner there are bad whispers of Mayor Tosid. It is not just, the walls tell me. This cannot stand. One argument later I return to bed but with bruised fist and heavy soul. No, Mayor Tosid is not bad person, not like us. She is caring noble with patience of deep well. Wife says I am fool to seek counsel from another woman but wife does not listen anyway. I hear whispers Mayor Tosid has preferences-fears of odd, but I say that is not reason to doubt her soul. Perhaps in this place where odd is norm, she is most sane of us all.

I am awaken at dawn to dwarf-sound of miner descent attacking the wall. My anger is great again until I find they dig new rooms for Mayor Tosid. Stone rooms that are bigger and better to have meetings, with weapon racks for her to listen better. I hope new rooms are to Mayor Tosid's preference.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:22:55 am by Bearskie »

absimiliard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2018, 11:56:48 am »

Awwww, you gave her her own hamster!

VoiceBook

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2018, 12:17:21 pm »

Shouting heard as I shovel strawberries down my gut. I step out amidst the crowd into the blinking sky. Rain streams down in rivulets upon Voicebook's back. He stood at the top of the wall, the fool smith! Shouting, shouting, he had enough of our madness - silence we cry, let not the dead come! - but he shouted on, ignoring us all, he was a dwarf broken in mind. Our crowd was restless, throw him out someone shouted, and once words were out the madness seized us once again. THROW HIM OUT BEFORE THE DEAD, roared the crowd in might.

Hey wait a minute, didn't I die months ago!? ???

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2018, 03:31:12 pm »

Hey wait a minute, didn't I die months ago!? ???
you survived through my turn at least?

also, that's a really neat hamster!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:36:35 pm by Carch »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2018, 06:21:21 pm »

Naw, I played ahead back then and gave you advanced warning. This is how you died.

Also, hamsters are no aww-ing matter.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2018, 06:41:26 pm »

How am I doing?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2018, 07:16:32 pm »

Stressed but under control. You've reached Axe Lord, which means you've graduated from Bootcamp squad along with Noloc and some other guy.

All lords are reassigned to Guardian squad. Guardians don't need to train or work apart from a few basic labors such as healthcare, because I really really don't need an Axe Lord snapping in the middle of my dining room.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28