Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 64671 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.10
« Reply #285 on: July 17, 2018, 11:43:48 am »

It might be best to edit the seed caps :v Booze might have to be prioritized, but cooking might be not necessary in the future: if each tile yields 3 plants, and you brew 1/3, then you'll get enough seeds back to plant each tile again.

There's other creatures...below...that can also give ridiculous amount of meat, methinks. And they give nice upfront bonus for signing up with their endless delivery service.

Farms will flow over many non-floor tiles, yeah. Though you can also dig downstairs, build floor over, water, place farm, and then remove the floor. Bit of a hassle, though, so only worth if going to box in the farms anyway.

I think it's probably more efficient to segregate seeds by type near to their farms, but you do you.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:49:04 am by Fleeting Frames »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 18, 2018, 03:24:59 am »

"Clear glass?" said Dozebom. "That will take much more wood and work to make. Why not just green glass?" "I'm not an expert on optics," said Kogan, "but from what I recall, the color of light that you see an object as being is what the object didn't absorb. This applies to both plants and glass." Dozebom motioned to keep explaining, and Kogan continued. "Plants require light to grow - at least aboveground plants do. They absorb the light through their green leaves, which means that they absorb everything but green light. Green glass does the same thing - it absorbs everything but green light. So the light that passes through the green glass will not contain what the plants need to grow, so they won't give much food. That's why we need clear glass, which won't absorb as much sunlight." "I see," said Dozebom. "I'll tell the woodcutters to begin clearcutting." "And we'll need fertilizer as well, at least in the beginning," said Kogan. "That will increase food production until the farmers are skilled enough to go without it." Dozebom marked down on a page: 'CUT ALL WOOD'.

M E T A P L O T
E
T
A
P
L
O
T

But yeah, this is pretty ambitious, especially given the state of the fort. Good luck following through!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 18, 2018, 01:14:31 pm »

Back in the days, we was content with a few 3x5 farm plots with clear glass ceilings. 

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #288 on: July 19, 2018, 01:04:10 pm »

Traveling. Can't update yet. Will do so soon. Small bit: a siege interrupts grand plans.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #289 on: July 19, 2018, 01:22:39 pm »

"Clear glass?" said Dozebom. "That will take much more wood and work to make. Why not just green glass?" "I'm not an expert on optics," said Kogan, "but from what I recall, the color of light that you see an object as being is what the object didn't absorb. This applies to both plants and glass." Dozebom motioned to keep explaining, and Kogan continued. "Plants require light to grow - at least aboveground plants do. They absorb the light through their green leaves, which means that they absorb everything but green light. Green glass does the same thing - it absorbs everything but green light. So the light that passes through the green glass will not contain what the plants need to grow, so they won't give much food."
Yeah... No. Plump helmets don't need sunlight. They grow through the divine power of Ok the Gold of Copper! As for plants which only grow aboveground, they grow through the divine blessings of Alod, which showers them with the energy of order and healing. Alod's light is not perceptible to the dwarven eye, and if green glass blocks Alod's blessings then it is an unholy evil which must be melted down! Yet if it merely absorbs Alod's blessings then we must craft green glass figurines and instruments to place inside the temple.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #290 on: July 19, 2018, 06:23:28 pm »

The airport has WiFi! The god of electronics be blessed.

"Clear glass?" said Dozebom. "That will take much more wood and work to make. Why not just green glass?" "I'm not an expert on optics," said Kogan, "but from what I recall, the color of light that you see an object as being is what the object didn't absorb. This applies to both plants and glass." Dozebom motioned to keep explaining, and Kogan continued. "Plants require light to grow - at least aboveground plants do. They absorb the light through their green leaves, which means that they absorb everything but green light. Green glass does the same thing - it absorbs everything but green light. So the light that passes through the green glass will not contain what the plants need to grow, so they won't give much food."
Yeah... No. Plump helmets don't need sunlight. They grow through the divine power of Ok the Gold of Copper! As for plants which only grow aboveground, they grow through the divine blessings of Alod, which showers them with the energy of order and healing. Alod's light is not perceptible to the dwarven eye, and if green glass blocks Alod's blessings then it is an unholy evil which must be melted down! Yet if it merely absorbs Alod's blessings then we must craft green glass figurines and instruments to place inside the temple.

This is practically useless, though. (In the truest sense of the word "practically," meaning "in practical terms".) It does not tell you whether a plant under a roof of green glass will grow. For that, we need biology, optics, material science, etc. Religion has its uses, but project analysis is not one of them.

Updating to 44.12. Wow, DFHack and the LNP updated quickly.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 20, 2018, 09:41:09 am »

This is practically useless, though. (In the truest sense of the word "practically," meaning "in practical terms".) It does not tell you whether a plant under a roof of green glass will grow. For that, we need biology, optics, material science, etc. Religion has its uses, but project analysis is not one of them.

The reason underground plants grow is because they are not actually plants, but fungi in a symbiosis with some microbe that they harvest energy from, much like a lichen. The fungus provides raw materials for itself and the microbe, as well as protection from predators, in return for the energy. How the microbe attains it's energy is a mystery, but it seems to be a form from chemical reactions in conjunction with perhaps a system not unlike that found in a perpetual motion water reactor. The fungus may supplement this with microbes found in the soil. Whatever it is, it does not seem to be very efficient, hence why they need a loose materiel rich in nutrients, both for attaining of minerals and consumption of local microbes. More info on this theory later.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 20, 2018, 09:53:32 am »

Diggy wanders up the surface but begin to not feel well being exposed to sun and salt-water air. 
He went back down in the cool dark tunnels and vomited. 
Days later, fungal growths are thriving on the floor where he vomited. 

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 20, 2018, 02:44:25 pm »

The reason underground plants grow is because they are not actually plants, but fungi in a symbiosis with some microbe that they harvest energy from, much like a lichen. The fungus provides raw materials for itself and the microbe, as well as protection from predators, in return for the energy. How the microbe attains it's energy is a mystery, but it seems to be a form from chemical reactions in conjunction with perhaps a system not unlike that found in a perpetual motion water reactor. The fungus may supplement this with microbes found in the soil. Whatever it is, it does not seem to be very efficient, hence why they need a loose materiel rich in nutrients, both for attaining of minerals and consumption of local microbes. More info on this theory later.
rather. the reason underground plants grow is because mud is in fact made up of tiny water reactors. so after a dose of water to 'prime the pump' they will keep running for centuries without exhausting the water that went into them. and the excess energy can be tapped into by the underground plants. above ground plants, however, lack the necessary evolution to interact with such a dwarven concept, and cannot grow underground. I suspect the fact they can grow below a 'solid' stone roof is that dwarves would leave small enough holes nothing can get in but sunlight can get in.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2018, 03:18:15 pm »

2nd Moonstone, 255

There were five dwarves outside when the goblins came. Steedat Ducimatham was walking toward a jute bag left in the almond grove. Eral Ekasterith was senseless, dazed, stricken by melancholy, after the death of her husband Ingish Endokular and her brother Ace Tobulenshal. Kosoth Mengbengang was outside to give somebody some prickle berries to eat. The child Stodir Mergecrypt had taken a bath and was now playing by the well. And Thikut Rulmeng was fishing in the ocean.

The almond grove being northwest of the fortress, and the goblins coming from the same direction, Steedat was the first to notice the approaching forces. (Eral was actually closer, but she either did not see the goblins, or did not care.) He immediately turned around and shouted at the other dwarves to get inside. Kosoth, who was just 2 dekots from the entrance gate, shouted the warning inside. From there, it was carried by the child Avuz to the militia commander, who issued two orders: the civilians to be inside and the militia to guard the entrance. Nomal Nazushlolor did not feel comfortable leaving the fortress open, but the current bridge and lever system was such a mess that she didn't have the option of closing specifically the inner bridge. She had to either leave the fortress open or abandon anyone outside to die, and she chose the former.

But this time it did not matter. The four sane dwarves were inside far before the goblins reached the fortress.

6th Moonstone

Nomal Nazushlolor was discussing her problem with her fellow speardwarf Zutthan Oddombavast as she walked to the training room. "The three members of the Guardians are currently trapped between the two bridges, and the existing lever can only raise and lower both at once. The goblins are right outside, so we can't pull that lever, and none of our mechanics will assemble a secondary lever to tie to just the inner bridge." She exhaled sharply. "The Guardians are strong, but they will starve before the goblins do."

Zutthan looked over at Nomal. "If everyone else is busy, and if you'd let me off duty for a week or so, I think I could cobble together a lever," she said. I've never done it before, but I'm confident I could do it given enough time." Nomal agreed to this, gratefully. "Thanks, I owe you a favor," Nomal said.

As Nomal pushed open the hatch to let the two of them upstairs, she heard the sounds of battle coming from the training room. The two militiadwarves rushed to the room, but by the time they arrived the battle had already ended. The mutilated corpse of a large and humanoid chameleon sat in a spattering of blood on the wooden floor, below two recruits. It seemed that Cerol had indeed been infected last month during the werechameleon attack, but thankfully he had died before infecting anyone else. The quick reactions of the axedwarf Ezun Nokimgerig and the captain Astesh Kubukamith had prevented a potential disaster - the two had laid into the werechameleon even as it was transforming, hacking its limbs off and stabbing its legs. On the ground, the werebeast had posed little threat, only managing to snatch at a wrestler's foot before being stabbed and finally decapitated by the swordsdwarf Lokum Tunmorul.

7th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: Apparently, we are under siege. I discovered this when I asked the manager to organize the construction of a large wall outside. I am annoyed that nobody tells me important things, such as "there are a ten goblins outside, four of which have ranged weapons." Hm. Well, we can stay inside for now, I suppose, but what of the quota?

9th Moonstone:

The corpse reanimated, was put down again, and reanimated again. It was killed just barely over the bonesand. One recruit is already paralyzed from a dread neck kick (not a kick to the neck, but a kick from a neck). This is bad.

And apparently there are two corpses of the same person? Reanimation doesn't produce extra copies... this makes no sense.

Now Urist is dead. Over the bonesand. This is very bad.

10th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: There was a backlog of crimes, which I just went through today. Due to the numerous recent deaths, most of the convicted dwarves could not be punished, but many dwarves are still happy to have justice done.

11th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: I have come to a realization concerning economics. It is a very bad idea to export coins. Yes. That must be it. That's the word for trading coins away. Exporting them. Anyway, I have told the fortress not to export coins under penalty of beating and jail.

14th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: The justice squad has been savaging our soldiers. This might be an issue. Also, the child Thikut Romekavuz is throwing a tantrum about war, and the child Tosid Usenolon has finally started his strange construction. Good, I was starting to worry that he would go insane about not having bones. (Which is ironic, given that we have far more bones than anything else, but they were in the form of skeletons and not individual bones. Since we didn't need yet another death, I told the butchers to break apart skeletons until he had enough bones.)

18th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: The militiadwarves have named the mutilated corpse of Cerol Oddommakas that they are standing over and constantly putting down. They say it is because it killed Urist Domasushrir, so it deserves a name. They are calling it Zonnulom.

Yes. Sure. That's fine.

19th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: The child Tosid Usenolon created an earring out of mudstone, and claimed it as an heirloom in the name of the family ancestor Cerol Rigothzon. The earring is encrusted with gems, decorated with leather, and encircled with gems, bone, and wood. It is also adorned with hanging rings of mudstone, which is a bit too meta for me. It has a spike of sheep wool to pierce the ear, which just baffles me. Additionally, Tosid managed to include two miniature images - one of a human dying in the Urn-Ocean of Snot in 252, and one of a dwarf becoming a baroness in 204.

20th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: A huge, bloated crocodile with knobby antennae has been sighted in the second cavern. That's the cavern that the giant pit is open to. I hope the crocodile cannot climb. Why hasn't anyone finished flooring over the pit?

I ordered the militia to guard the staircase next to the pit, in case it can climb. The militia that is not currently trapped between two bridges, that is. Mechanics! Fix that bridge! Why won't anybody do anything?!

23th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: I got tired of waiting for the mechanics, and ordered the masons to deconstruct the inner bridge. I also told the inactive soldiers between the bridges that they could do so themselves, as all of them are masons. Nobody did anything, but Noloc apparently teleported through the inner bridge and is now getting a drink. I will go mad after a year of this. I am certain of that.

24th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: There were existing work orders to build a roof for the militia's room above the longhouse. Dwarves keep hauling up wood, seeing a goblin lasher outside, and running back downstairs in fear. The goblin cannot reach you! Either build the roof or stay down!

26th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: There has been an open path to the outside this entire time, through the trade bridges. Apparently the goblins didn't notice, and the standing order to not go outside kept the dwarves from exiting. But I cancelled that order to see if that was why the mechanics refused to hook up the lever to the inside bridge, and so outside the dwarves all traipsed, to pick up items that were left outside. I barely noticed quickly enough to hurry them inside, and the bridge is still open. Nobody will pull the lever to close it. I don't think the goblins noticed, but they've had somebody at the front gates this whole time, so they're bound to realize that there's another entrance.

I need a drink.

Oh, and also a visiting human maceman decided to leave, so the goblins killed him. They're standing only a dozen Urists away from the entrance.

I figured out why nobody will pull the lever - the umpteenth lever room, which contains the levers that control the bridges that seal the trade room, was not included in the official designation of Inside because it was forgotten, because it is in such an obscure place. Why?

27th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: The bridge was closed just in time - the goblins arrived at our doorstep just a few minutes afterward. And there is also a gorlak sitting in the trade depot. It's wild, but hasn't attacked anybody yet. I don't even care at this point.

28th Moonstone:

Dozebom's Journal: From atop the longhouse, no goblins can be seen. But they can be heard in the tunnel to the trade depot, killing a stray llama that wandered outside. Wouldn't it be nice if we could trap them there? There's even two bridges, either of which could trap them there if closed. But nobody decided to hook a lever up to either of them, so they sit there useless.

13th Opal:

Dozebom's Journal: We have successfully rescued Limul from the caverns, where he has been for the last month. He *would* be stonecrafting right now, since he is the only stonecrafter and we need mugs and jewelry to cheer people up, but apparently he threw a tantrum once and now he needs to be beaten up. I don't know why I decided to enable the justice squad to punch people.

14th Opal:

Dozebom's Journal: Our only stonecrafter and our only carpenter are both chained up. The carpenter keeps throwing tantrums and trying to punch people, but he can't reach anybody. An axedwarf is in a cage and the captain of the guard has been chained. This is going too far.
Sigtext!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12
« Reply #295 on: July 22, 2018, 05:25:35 pm »

@Carch: Excellent theory.

@2nd Moonstone, 255:

...I think fishing in the evil, reanimating, horrible ocean is the worst of those five.

@6th Moonstone:

Interesting practice for werebeasts. I'm not sure it's safe, when one managed to get bitten before.

Weren't the barracks over the sand, though?

@9th Moonstone:

Even dead werebeasts regenerate.

@18th Moonstone:

I wonder if dead werebeasts infect with bite? This zombie is intended part of the combat training, isn't it?

@26th Moonstone:

Weren't the goblins supposed to be omniscient?

@14h Opal:

The justice watches itself! Hurrah?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 22, 2018, 10:16:14 pm »

> This is worrying
> This is not good
> This is bad
> This is very very bad

WELCOME TO FUCKING BREAKFASTPIT

Spoiler: PSA to Dozebom (click to show/hide)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 23, 2018, 02:31:31 am »

One recruit is already paralyzed from a dread neck kick (not a kick to the neck, but a kick from a neck). This is bad.

And apparently there are two corpses of the same person? Reanimation doesn't produce extra copies... this makes no sense.

Nobody did anything, but Noloc apparently teleported through the inner bridge and is now getting a drink. I will go mad after a year of this. I am certain of that.
This fort is going so much better than I could have ever hoped.

I love how quickly Dozebom's turn went from carefully calculating how many farm plots we'll need to meet our production quota's, to the game rapidly losing it's grip on reality in the midst of an orgy of justice and stupid.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 23, 2018, 08:20:13 am »

Am I still alive?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #299 on: July 23, 2018, 03:18:25 pm »

@Fleeting Frames:

• I doubt the ocean even contains any living fish.
  • Undead werebeasts regenerate? Under what conditions? That's concerning.
  • Also, could this explain the corpse replication? The replicating corpse was of the werebeast. (Note: one of the corpses killed Urist and is named Zonnulom, but if you go to the dead units list, it is called Zonnulom, Cerol Oddomnakas's mutilated corpse, and then a Cerol Oddomnakas's partial skeleton is also somewhere.)
  • The werebeast/undead disaster in the barracks was completely unintentional. Nobody will dump the corpses. It is terrifying and funny and out of control.
  • That last sentence could describe all of Breakfastpit, actually.
  • I don't know why the goblins didn't enter through the trade route. I know it was open, since the dwarves left as soon as I cancelled the civilian alert. It was all very realistic,  with the secluded entrance only being noticed once dwarves went through it.
  • It is reassuring that the guard is willing to punish its own, but I think that all but one guard is in jail, and the remaining guard is only out of jail because nobody can put them in there. It's not very reassuring that the guard is the unhappiest and most likely to start fights.

@Bearskie and @QuQuasar: yes, this is all very good. It feels like one of the disaster-fortresses of old, like Boatmurdered, Doomforests, etc. It brings a strange feeling - I think this is what they call !!fun!!. Somewhere between laughing and crying and horror.

@Bearskie's PSA: Breakfastpit, or, how I learned to stop worrying and love the regenerating murderous werebeast corpse, the tantrum spiral exacerbated by the justice squad, and the goblin siege, all at once and all made worse by the twisted, insane design of the fortress and the reluctance of the inhabitants to follow orders.

@auze: yes, you're alive. No named dwarf has died yet in my turn.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:22:21 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28