Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 63685 times)

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12
« Reply #330 on: September 13, 2018, 08:41:04 pm »

Seems to be going well. Maybe Auze will get to become a docter yet.*

*if he doesn't die, of course
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 16, 2018, 03:09:49 am »

have I survived this far? also, is the corpse stockpile still just below the magma glass area I made? I needed to put it somewhere with less traffic then before, but by now it might no longer be the best spot. was always meant to be temporary.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Memphis_Wildcard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 16, 2018, 10:02:43 am »

I would like to be dorfed. Name of Memphis, any dorf with poetic skill.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2018, 10:02:46 pm »

I've been busy with my quantum mechanics class, but the workload has subsided and a sick day resulted in me leaving 90% of my homework at school, so I have plenty of time for Breakfastpit now.

I appreciate you respecting dwarves' personalities, though it takes much time.

My favorite part of Dwarf Fortress (along with the memes and tragicomedy) is the stories that it tells you, if you dig deep enough. I am happy to share the stories that I find.

(I agree with what you said on the "what turns you off about DF" thread - it would be awesome if DF made the legends more accessible - but there is also a feeling of investigation, of research, of uncovering hidden depths, that appeals to me. Playing DF is different from reading a story because it's interactive in many ways - not only do you shape the world, but you decide what story you search for, and you're only given a skeletal plot that you must flesh in yourself.)

It is ...very DF that even if you close the gates, there's still a hole into the insides of pit. Perhaps fortunate, even.

Having your fortress be open to anyone in the first cavern who's willing to climb down a few feet is quite dwarven, but I think I'll try to increase the security in that area. No sense in having this fortress collapse from something simple like that when it could collapse in a much more interesting way instead.

And haha on "they killed a rattlesnake on the beach".

Schadenfreude is even stronger when their problems are the same as your own. It was very amusing to see how a significant number of the goblins weren't killed by us, but rather by a small watery channel and the aura of reanimation that is the bane of our beachfront existence.

13 isn't a child here; 13 is old enough to be legendary axedwarf in military with their own mood's artifact axe, and also as big in body size as somebody ten times older. (Toady could have made bodies stop growing at 25 instead and even grow smaller with age (see most livestock being adult at 1 but full-grown in 2-3), but he didn't.)

I don't disagree. People simply grow up faster in DF. The moral significance of age isn't inherently about time, but rather about maturity.

(And building on what I said before, 18-as-age-of-adulthood is probably mostly a modern idea, and having children in the mid-teens is realistic for the time period DF is set in.)

But Toady One has stated that he doesn't want DF to become known as the game where people can throw poop. In other words, certain mechanics could make DF infamous. (Given how there was apparently a minor "DF is bigoted" hullabaloo some years ago [though that's secondhand knowledge], I understand why Toady is worried about that happening.) Wouldn't child marriage count as one of those mechanics? (In fact, if the wiki is correct, 23-year-olds and 13-year-olds can marry, and presumably they have sex, since children can appear a year or two later. In the real world, that would be very illegal and horrendously unethical.)

I don't want to start another "DF is bigoted" flame war. I'm not saying this makes DF bad. There aren't actually any real children being abused, and in-game there's no reason to suspect that any abuse actually happens. 13 in DF is equivalent to 18 or so in the modern real world. And I don't think many people actually delve through Legends mode enough to notice things like this, and those who do are hardcore DF gamers who probably won't complain about it. But this seems extremely worrying if Toady is trying to avoid infamy.

(I am coming to realize that perhaps I should not have talked about child marriage, and instead PMed Toady to see if he wasn't aware of this and the associated dangers. But I was never very good at noticing when something shouldn't be said. [tic]Now I am become Roko, spreader of hazards.[/tic])

Zombies believe they can fly. They're correct, of course, because undead beaches are why we can have nice things.

Can they actually? I thought, out of game, that zombies lost the [FLYER] tag.

You're not at war with humans, you're at war with 1 example of a PLAINS civilization. Easy mistake :P

But the summer (aka human) caravan will not come if there are no peaceful PLAINS (aka human) civilizations.

That's a lot of effort for a ring.

It's strange how there are so many artifact rings, and everyone's trying to get one. (Tastes like LotR.) I mean, the fabled Slippery Pillar is just made out of some stone found in marble (material value 1, not even flux!) and with the Skunk Mountain decorating it. Why would anyone spend years searching for the Skunk Mountain Ring? It doesn't seem to have any kind of special history that makes it valuable, either.

Once the Myth and Magic arc is begun, and artifacts can start having magical properties, this will make a little more sense. (It will taste more like LotR.)

The goblins...Hm, I think that's a type of visitor behaviour. Could make a trap that relies on it.

What behavior was that again? The swimming through channels to reach submerged entrances to the fortress? I can't think of any application better than the trap we already inadvertently have.

It'd be nice if the speardwarf had a flux stone instead of lignite or coal; then you'd have artifact of steel making.

Well, an artifact of iron-forging is almost as cool, right?

Ezum Nokimgerig has interesting to imagine personality changes. Sure, could just imagine Dumbledore, but there are more...fascinating...choices (such as Dumbledore is a S).

That makes sense! Ambition driven by a desire to positively change the world. Dumbledore is a good example of that archetype. Since Slytherins aren't required to be Selfish Evil, I think that Slytherin!Dumbledore would just be a more cunning, secretive, and manipulative version of...

...blessed excrement. Dumbledore's already cunning, secretive, and manipulative enough to be an honorary Slytherin. (See here for examples. I knew already knew those examples, but HPMOR!Albus was even more cunning and secretive and plotting, so I wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally project HPMOR!Albus onto canon!Albus.)

You could perhaps transport an eternally burning ring with retracting bridges on floor. 1 bridge flings it to the path of goblins, other one flings it back.

...Wasn't being naked one of the worse moodlets? Good job on that.

I don't think so. It's strength 8, so one of the weaker negative moods. But every little stressful thought counts, and I'm pretty sure that fully naked dwarves have that thought thrice, so it's still important to clothe your dwarves.

A werebeast doctor?

That's...macabrely amusing. They're already in the hospital if they need to be locked in!

And if they injure anyone without killing them, they can patch them right up afterward!

That reminds me: I should really fix the current setup. Akko keeps wandering off just before the full moon before I can notice and station her back in the cell to be walled off. I think a burrow and a lever-operated bridge-door should work.

Coffin hauling...Could use sphere of coffins surrounding the forts with high-priority tunnels so that anything to be placed in a coffin uses side tunnel and goes away from the fort.

But then wouldn't dwarves always be going through the tunnels? I guess if the labyrinth is large enough, corpse haulers probably won't come across anybody else while dragging their morbid work items to their coffins. Even then, dwarves will still be taking roundabout routes all the time, slowing everything down.

Actually, given the already labyrinthine structure of the fortress as it is, that could be an improvement.

Now a werebead anti-FB unit, that's better.

It's rather tricky to infect and manage multiple werebeasts, so I think I'll leave that project to the next overseer.

You like peace and helping people, and you're a great mathematician. I think I will take you off active duty and make you an actual scholar. If you don't mind, that is. (You're also a High Master Axedwarf, plus you have a need to practice a martial art, so you'll stay in the militia, but you'll have enough off-time to do scholar and doctor things.)

have I survived this far? also, is the corpse stockpile still just below the magma glass area I made? I needed to put it somewhere with less traffic then before, but by now it might no longer be the best spot. was always meant to be temporary.

You're alive but haggard, drawn, and depressed. You've been beaten, you've seen a troll die, you've seen dead bodies, you've been hungry and thirsty while chained up. You've been reliving the trauma and shame of being beaten, and the nagging hunger and dry parchedness that ate away at you while others walked by, ignoring your pleas for food. You've dreamed of the troll's gruesome death most nights. Your wife Shorast is dead. All your other family is elsewhere, except your baby daughter Rakust, who died. (There's also a crippled nephew and a scarred, half-paralyzed niece, but you don't see them very often.) Your head is dented, your beard is torn, and the smell tells you the injury from the beating probably got infected. Your nose is entirely ripped from your face. You tried to meet with the mayor to complain, but couldn't find him.

You got beaten up by Killermartian, the new captain of the guard, because you beat up Mistem, the baroness and legendary glassmaker. The beating was humiliating enough, but what made it worse was that you had recently been demoted from your position as interim captain of the guard. You had been beating up people yourself, both legally and illegally, and neglecting to investigate your own illegal actions too hard. But the mayor figured out your shady doings and installed a new captain of the guard. You used to be the expedition leader, you know, and now you barely have any power. You're the captain of the archer squad - a bunch of ragtag novice marksdwarves who happened to use a crossbow at some point in their lives. Dozebom is also in the squad, but you can't do anything even if you want to. If you tried anything, you'd be beaten and dragged off to jail again. You might lose an ear this time, or an eye. And the jails have been moved, so while you wouldn't have to watch people walk past you as if you weren't there, nobody would notice if you died down in the deep prison, whether of hunger, dehydration, or something else.

And there's not even any good food here. That was the entire purpose of this fortress! Why does this miserable pit even exist at this point, if not for the breakfast?!

But yes, you've survived. It's questionable whether you'll last much longer, though.

The (third? fourth?) corpse stockpile is still south of the magma workshops, yes.

I would like to be dorfed. Name of Memphis, any dorf with poetic skill.

You are Memphis Otsusgoden, a competent cook. You're also a novice wordsmith, a great poet, a novice reader, a great speaker, and an adequate teacher. You've dabbled in the poetry form "The Learning of Poetry", which is an accurate enough name, as well as the music form "The Chocolate Works-Girdles" and "The Creative Syrups". (You rather like those last two forms.) You are the author of The Black Girders and Raunch, and The Birth of Shade.

You are currently drunk, and quite happy about that. You're not feeling too bad - sure, there have been many corpses here, and you're always grouchy when it rains, and you don't actually have a room of your own, but look! They have finely-made bridges in Breakfastpit! There's also a legendary dining room in which interesting and delightful performances are held (some of which are your own). There's plenty of work for you to do, and it's satisfying for you to improve your skills. You were traumatized once, and you saw Thikut Lengthmines die at the same time, but you were rescued, and the bravery and altruism of the dwarf who saved you reminds you how much there is to be grateful for. There is a well-stocked library filled with books with titles such as "Unknown Dwarf", "Secret Author", "The Knowledge of the Village", "The Book of Roomsounded", and "The Student's Composition". You've read all those books, and they've been satisfying, as was the improvement in your reading skill.

You have one pet, a brown male duckling named Avuz Sobirzuglar. You don't worship any gods. You have only one passing acquaintance here in Breakfastpit, a surgeon named Tekkud Nishothsin.

You're weak and clumsy, but that doesn't matter very much. You have an amazing memory, good endurance, great empathy, and a natural inclination toward language, and that gets you through anything you want to do. You are bald with a gray bearded braid. You are 136 years old. You hate purring maggots. You don't think truth and self-restraint matter very much, but neither do you like merrymaking.

You'd like to raise a family, but you're not very lustful. You are moved by art and natural beauty, but you dislike the natural world. You are slow to trust others, but you form deep emotional bonds once you do. You're ambitious. You are orderly but wasteful. You avoid crowds and don't really care what people think of you. You are altruistic and practical. You tell pointless stories when you're nervous, and you talk very quietly when you're angry.

You are somewhat focused. You have a good balance between work and leisure, and you've done something creative recently. There's good art and drink here, but no friends or family, and no decent meals. You'd like to practice a martial art.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:40:14 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2018, 07:03:17 am »

@Stories: I do spend some time investigating some poets I grant residence to - relations-indicator interface already allows me to see their relationship status, but if they're married I go further to check their spouse.

(Could probably make a script to view offsite creatures more comfortably, now that I think of it. Ah well, it goes into the LIST.)

@Caverns: I imagine they would eventually get undead too. Untamed wilds, fbs, etc.

@Schadenfraude:

Oh yes. I recall, I once suggested that if sieges didn't find dwarves they'd start buliding a site on top of yours, because why else come to conquer otherwise?

I feel similar amusement with the werebeast doctor (who I meant as a single FB warrior, not as a member of werebeast squad, which is bit too micro.)

@Relationships:

You're understating it. 13 and 23 is the limit in fortress, but not in worldgen, as I've noticed.

I recall there was even a report with a modded short-lived species that had underage childbirth in a time before time (due the way the game backtraces parents of historical figures). Of course, mods - they allow you do far weirder shit.

That said, relationships will likely be changing with next release, so who knows where they go.

However, I haven't seen any reason to justify this concern (though maybe anyone who cares about this would be more concerned with the current state of dwarven childcare). Looking at Crusader Kings 2, controversy might even be beneficial.

@Flyer:

They do. If you're not familiar with it, I'll link to you Ravens are murder, a fort by Loud Whispers with undead ravens.

@Caravan:

It's still PLAINS caravan; even if every merchant is parakeet man. Though I certainly have visitors and merchants from different human civs that have had many wars with each other. No bloodbath yet, though.

@Magic artifacts:

Skunk mountain ring has a charming description....

But even with magic, it'd be like, the least or second least magical artifact ever, assuming material selection influences what magic a thing possess.

@Goblin trap:

Yeah, the behaviour of jumping into ponds and staying there. Existing trap is already pretty good but produces undead and could be more compact.

@Sphere of coffins:

Dwarves would take direct paths through central forts unless obstructed or having business with coffins.

It would possibly have a fps impact(that could be relatively minimized with traffic designations).

@Carch's dwarf:

Ahahaha, that's terrible. Memphis having a dwarf named after them is pretty amusing in that light as well.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:07:23 am by Fleeting Frames »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2018, 08:54:38 am »

You like peace and helping people, and you're a great mathematician. I think I will take you off active duty and make you an actual scholar. If you don't mind, that is. (You're also a High Master Axedwarf, plus you have a need to practice a martial art, so you'll stay in the militia, but you'll have enough off-time to do scholar and doctor things.)

Definitely don't mind, especially since the entire reason I said scholar was because I wanted him to be one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:56:45 am by auzewasright »
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Memphis_Wildcard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2018, 09:40:53 pm »

What is the description for the Creative Syrups? Maybe I'll try composing one!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #337 on: September 28, 2018, 06:23:28 pm »

They do. If you're not familiar with it, I'll link to you Ravens are murder, a fort by Loud Whispers with undead ravens.

I remember the undead ravens. I didn't remember that they could fly. That's terrifying.

@Goblin trap:

Yeah, the behaviour of jumping into ponds and staying there. Existing trap is already pretty good but produces undead and could be more compact.

The zombification is half of why the unintentional pond-trap works, and given that it's a side effect of the memorial channel, it doesn't take up any space of its own.

@Sphere of coffins:

Dwarves would take direct paths through central forts unless obstructed or having business with coffins.

It would possibly have a fps impact(that could be relatively minimized with traffic designations).

If the tunnels are designated high-traffic (as was stated in the original suggestion), dwarves will re-route themselves somewhat to use the tunnels. Even if it's only a minor way between two locations, having traffic route through a thin tunnel sounds like a hit to efficiency and FPS.

@Carch's dwarf:

Ahahaha, that's terrible. Memphis having a dwarf named after them is pretty amusing in that light as well.

I don't see what you're saying about Memphis. As for the rest: it's only to be expected from a sequel to Breadbowl built on an evil bone-white beach with necromantic neighbors.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #338 on: September 28, 2018, 06:33:44 pm »

What is the description for the Creative Syrups? Maybe I'll try composing one!
The Creative Syrups is actually a dance form, so I'm guessing you want the Learning of Poetry (a poetry form, clearly enough) or the Chocolate Works-Girdles (a music form). It'll take a little while, since I have to retire a copied backup and roll dwarven bards until one of them knows the form.
Sigtext!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 28, 2018, 06:52:36 pm »

I remember the undead ravens. I didn't remember that they could fly. That's terrifying.
Flying birds are awesome. Way back in Bonepiller our Expedition leader had his spine pulled out of his neck by an undead peregrine falcon.

He survived and recovered, because Dwarven medicine is just that good.

The Creative Syrups is actually a dance form, so I'm guessing you want the Learning of Poetry (a poetry form, clearly enough) or the Chocolate Works-Girdles (a music form). It'll take a little while, since I have to retire a copied backup and roll dwarven bards until one of them knows the form.
Is it co-incidence that two out of three of Breakfastpits creative forms are named after food toppings?

Or is there literally no such thing as co-incidence in Dwarf Fortress and Toady is just that good?

By the way, I know it's off topic but since it's kind of a big deal for me and because I thought the game would appeal to Dwarf Fortress players: I just released Species ALRE, my ground-up evolution simulator, on Steam. The steam release, aka the Fins and Flippers update, introduces aquatic animals!

I posted a fair bit more about it over here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172231.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 28, 2018, 07:11:48 pm »

Oh no, I meant the main tunnels would be high priority, not the side tunnels for coffins. Other way around would be inefficient, yeah.

It's kinda terrible on food export front, though. Should be more unique than just another reanimating embark.

Memphis being dorfed right after a litany of terrible events is kind of dark humour.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #341 on: September 29, 2018, 02:20:39 pm »

Oh no, I meant the main tunnels would be high priority, not the side tunnels for coffins. Other way around would be inefficient, yeah.

I see. In that case, wouldn't the corpse be hauled through the high-priority tunnels and into the side tunnel only for the last leg? It would need to be fine-tuned, at least.

It's kinda terrible on food export front, though. Should be more unique than just another reanimating embark.

It was inevitable. Spending all of your time trying to avoid horrible death at the hands of zombies tends to distract you from farming aboveground.

Memphis being dorfed right after a litany of terrible events is kind of dark humour.

I get it now. Yes, the optimism and immigration seems naive when compared to the horrors of life here.

I discovered Legends Viewer. It is incredibly time-saving. Here are the artistic forms Memphis knows:

Quote from: The Creative Syrups
The Creative Syrups, Dance Form

The Creative Syrups is a sacred solo dance originating in The Basic Gates. The form guides dancers during improvised performances. The dance is accompanied by any composition of The Chocolate Works-Girdles. The dancer performs slowly with the music. This dance is a refined artform, with four special positions to be mastered. The dance is passionate, sprightly and elaborate.
The dance begins with the introduction of the music. The dancer performs along a clockwise circle. This intense section is punctuated by undulating independent body movement.
The dance enters a new section with the first theme of the music. The dancer performs along an improvised path. This aggressive twisting section is punctuated by sensual independent body movement.
The dance enters a new section with the exposition of the first theme of the music. The dancer performs along an improvised path.
The dance enters a new section with the second theme of the music. This section is punctuated by spins, powerful leaps and sinuous leg lifts.
The dance enters a new section with the exposition of the second theme of the music. The dancer performs along a counterclockwise circle. This section is punctuated by aggressive facial expressions.
The dance enters a new section with the synthesis of the music. The dancer performs along an intricate path. This section is punctuated by high leftward bends.
The sakrith is one of the fundamental dance positions. There should be a high body level with an energetic hand gesture and a fluid right leg lift.
The nural is one of the fundamental dance positions. There should be a right leg lift with a fluid raised arm and a high body level.
The bugsud is one of the fundamental dance positions. There should be an expressive leftward bend with a right leg lift, a low body level and a joyous facial expression.
The okag is one of the fundamental dance positions. There should be a backward bend with a graceful arm carriage, an expressive right leg lift and a joyous facial expression.

Summary: Sacred solo dance. Performed along with a Chocolate Works-Girdles composition. Slow, refined, passionate, sprightly, elaborate, improvised.

1. Introduction: Intensely dance clockwise while undulating.
2. First theme: Dance along an improvised path while moving sensually and independently.
3. Exposition: Dance along an improvised path.
4. Second theme: Spin, leap powerfully, and sinuously lift your leg.
5. Synthesis: Dance along an intricate path while bending to the left and lifting the right leg. Smile.

Quote from: The Chocolate Works-Girdles
The Chocolate Works-Girdles, Musical Form

The Chocolate Works-Girdles is a devotional form of music directed toward the worship of Nomal originating in The Basic Gates. The rules of the form are applied by composers to produce individual pieces of music which can be performed. The music is played on a om and a dast. The musical voices bring melody with harmony. The entire performance is at a walking pace. The melody has phrases of varied length throughout the form. It is performed in free rhythm. Throughout, when possible, composers and performers are to locally improvise and alternate tension and repose.
The om always does the main melody and should feel mournful.
The dast always does harmony and should be stately.
The Chocolate Works-Girdles has a well-defined multi-passage structure: an introduction, a first theme, an exposition of the first theme, a second theme, a lengthy exposition of the second theme and a synthesis of previous passages.
The introduction is to be soft. Only one pitch is ever played at a time in this passage. The passage is performed using the libash scale. The passage should often include a rising-falling melody pattern with sharpened second degree on the fall as well as legato, sometimes include a falling melody pattern with flattened fourth degree as well as staccato and sometimes include a falling-rising melody pattern with flattened third degree on the fall as well as mordents and staccato.
The first theme is to fade into silence. Only one pitch is ever played at a time in this passage. The passage is performed using the roder scale. The passage should sometimes include a rising-falling melody pattern with arpeggios and staccato, sometimes include a falling-rising melody pattern with flattened fifth degree on the rise, flattened third degree on the fall and flattened sixth degree on the rise as well as rapid runs and staccato, often include a rising melody pattern with sharpened third degree as well as glides and mordents and often include a falling melody pattern with arpeggios.
The first exposition is to be moderately soft. Only one pitch is ever played at a time in this passage. The passage is performed using the asdos scale. The passage should sometimes include a falling melody pattern with arpeggios and staccato.
The second theme is to be moderately loud. This passage features only melodic tones and intervals. The passage is performed using the asdos scale. The passage should often include a rising-falling melody pattern with flattened fourth degree on the rise and sharpened second degree on the rise as well as grace notes and mordents, sometimes include a falling-rising melody pattern with flattened fourth degree on the rise as well as glides, rapid runs, arpeggios and legato and sometimes include a rising melody pattern with flattened third degree as well as grace notes and legato.
The second exposition is to be moderately soft. This passage features only melodic tones and intervals. The passage is performed using the tosid scale. The passage should always include a rising melody pattern with staccato and legato and often include a rising-falling melody pattern with grace notes and legato.
The synthesis is to be moderately soft. This passage features only melodic tones and intervals. The passage is performed using the kulet scale. The passage should sometimes include a rising melody pattern with glides and often include a rising-falling melody pattern with mordents, trills and staccato.
Scales are constructed from twelve notes spaced evenly throughout the octave. The tonic note is fixed only at the time of performance.
The libash scale is thought of as joined chords spanning a perfect fifth and a perfect fourth. These chords are named bidok and emar.
The bidok trichord is the 1st, the 3rd and the 8th degrees of the semitone octave scale.
The emar trichord is the 8th, the 9th and the 13th (completing the octave) degrees of the semitone octave scale.
The roder hexatonic scale is thought of as joined chords spanning a perfect fifth and a perfect fourth. These chords are named ustos and emar.
The ustos pentachord is the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd, the 4th and the 8th degrees of the semitone octave scale.
The asdos pentatonic scale is thought of as two disjoint chords spanning a tritone and a perfect fourth. These chords are named gostang and izeg.
The gostang trichord is the 1st, the 6th and the 7th degrees of the semitone octave scale.
The izeg trichord is the 8th, the 10th and the 13th (completing the octave) degrees of the semitone octave scale.
The tosid heptatonic scale is thought of as joined chords spanning a perfect fifth and a perfect fourth. These chords are named ustos and bemong.
The bemong tetrachord is the 8th, the 10th, the 11th and the 13th (completing the octave) degrees of the semitone octave scale.
The kulet scale is thought of as joined chords spanning a perfect fifth and a perfect fourth. These chords are named bidok and izeg.

Summary: Devotional worship music for the deity Nomal. The om (a sort of leather bagpipe) produces a mournful melody. The dast (a large drum struck with glass hammers) produces a stately harmony. Medium pace. Certain phrases throughout each piece. No set beat, but instead a freely flowing rhythm. Alternates between tense and calm. Passages are: introduction, first theme, exposition thereof, second theme, lengthy exposition thereof, and synthesis. Generally monophonic - no chords played. The key is improvised.

Introduction: soft, rising and falling, staccato.
First theme: fading, falling and rising, rapid and staccato, arpeggios, sometimes gliding.
Exposition: moderately soft, falling, arpeggios and staccato.
Second theme: moderately loud, melodic, rising and falling, embellished, sometimes gliding and legato.
Exposition: moderately soft, rising, staccato and legato, often rising-falling with embellishment and legato.
Synthesis: moderately soft, rising and gliding, often rising and falling with mordents, trills, and staccato.

[spoiler=Definitions]Staccato: abrupt and quick notes
Monophonic: one note at a time
Arpeggio: a scale
Gliding: smooth changes between notes
Legato: multiple notes played in the same breath
Mordent/trill: rapid alternation between notes[/quote]

Quote from: The Learning of Poetry
The Learning of Poetry, Poetic Form

The Learning of Poetry is a dramatic poetic form concerning religion, originating in The Basic Gates. The rules of the form are applied by poets to produce individual poems which can be recited. The poem is a single couplet. Use of metaphor is characteristic of the form. Forms of parallelism are common throughout the poem, in that certain lines often share an underlying meaning and they use the same placement of allusions. Each line has five feet with a tone pattern of even-uneven-even. Every line of the poem has an initial caesura. The ending of each line of the poem shares the same rhyme. The second line of the couplet has the same grammatical structure as the first line. The second line of the couplet reverses the word order of the first line. The first line is intended to express grief over the subject of the poem. The second line is intended to console the audience.

Summary: dramatic religious poetry form. Couplets (two lines). Often metaphorical and parallel. Five feet in each line. Pauses between lines. Both lines rhyme. The second line uses anastrophe (backwards sentences, like "a flower I saw" instead of "I saw a flower"). At the same time, the lines must share the same grammatical structure. [I think. The procgen poetry can seem a bit contradictory at times.] The first line expresses grief, while the second line consoles the audience.

Note: Memphis, despite not worshiping a god, nevertheless only knows religious forms. Interesting.

Memphis has read the following books:

Unknown Dwarf, a chromite-bound codex. It is a 28-page essay authored by the human necromancer Innu Skirtsidols. It concerns the master-apprentice relationship of Innu over the dwarf necromancer Cerol Roomears in the early winter of 132. The writing is compassionate and the prose is passable.

Secret Author, a superior quality claystone-bound codex. It is a 24-page essay authored by the dwarf Vucar Brownoar. It concerns the authoring of Leech Ever Onward by Vucar in Robusttake in the early spring of 233. The writing is meandering and the prose is not very good.

The Knowledge of the Village, a rhyolate-bound codex. It is a 61-page guide authored by Vicu Tellsoar. It concerns the hamlet Jewelpot. The prose is passable.

The Book of Roomsounded, a sheep parchment scroll with limonite rollers. It is a guide authored by Libash Savepages. It concerns the tower Roomsounded. The writing is vicious and organized and the prose is passable.

The Student's Composition, a yak parchment scroll with siltstone rollers. It is an essay authored by the dwarf necromancer Adil Gilthush. It concerns the authoring of Inquiries on the Tower by Adil in Roomsounded in the midsummer of 165. The writing is vicious and the prose is great.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 11:49:35 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 29, 2018, 06:51:42 pm »

Yeah, there are some tuning problems.

I've only seen temple performances for a god done by a worshipper of that god, spinning off from Worship activity with nonreligious dwarves never start, so Memphis might be ought of luck on this front. But then again, I have only looked at few, so am not certain.

I don't know whether dwarves write down musical forms in fort mode? Might be worth trying placing him in the library for a week.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #343 on: September 30, 2018, 01:19:57 pm »

Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #344 on: September 30, 2018, 01:41:22 pm »

1st Limestone, 256

Akko, Auze, and Memphis have all become scholars.

Carch went outside and killed a giant horseshoe crab.

5th Limestone, 256

I have engineered a trap for the zombie stuck in the walled-off craftsdwarf's shop. Diggy is removing the wall, and when he is done, he will run away. When the zombie follows him, it will be trapped in a cage. Then it will be installed in a pit of my design, which will allow marksdwarves (including me) to train more effectively.

Kosoth destroyed a farm plot. It wasn't in use, but still.

Now he's punched many dwarves. He's calmed down, but only in one sense. He's now screaming about battle and terror, and how he regrets doing this.

Urdim was punched. Her response to Kosoth being quickly convicted of the crime: "The criminal was convicted and I received justice. I am very satisfied."

Kogan Erithked the ranger was also punched. His response: "I was attacked. How exhilarating!"

Kosoth Mengbengeng: "Help! Save me! In the midst of conflict... I laugh in the face of death! Help! Save me!"

6th Limestone, 256

Killermartian is bringing Kosoth to prison.

7th Limestone, 256

Killermartian locked Kosoth up and released Limul. She expressed gratitude and hope. Kosoth will remain there for 50 days.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:17:23 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28