Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 63729 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12
« Reply #375 on: October 28, 2018, 05:27:21 am »

These are good updates. Screenshots, fixing messes, installing corpses in the dining hall...

I don’t know what’s up with that book. I told the dwarves to move it to the catacombs so I could safely entomb it, but they refused to. But it can’t be a coincidence that the book teleported to the specific location that I ordered it moved to.

Did somebody get around to moving it? Was the book trying to be helpful? Was it there all along but just displaying as being in the library? Who knows.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 29, 2018, 08:41:50 am »

my guess is that since we all tried to hide the book ever since we got it, it wasn't being observed, and therefore in a quantum state where it was in both places at once. hence it could be both in the library, and the mausoleum (thus satisfying the movement order). and the dwarf who got the job to install it just happened to be closest to the mausoleum site to collapse the waveform there.  :P
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #377 on: October 29, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »

I was going to say “that’s impossible, that’s not how macroscopic superposition works”, but dwarves have mastered quantum entanglement levers, so perhaps they’ve mastered quantum disentanglement as well.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 30, 2018, 04:40:08 am »

I was going to say “that’s impossible, that’s not how macroscopic superposition works”, but dwarves have mastered quantum entanglement levers, so perhaps they’ve mastered quantum disentanglement as well.
not to mention quantum stockpiles and perpetual motion machines.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 30, 2018, 02:32:28 pm »

With the infinite matter producing of resources: obsidian, glass, clay, and fish;
and non expiring heat source of 4/7 magma to power forges, smelters, glass makers and kilns;
Breakfastpit can just export fish products to feed the civ.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #380 on: October 30, 2018, 11:52:47 pm »

But are there actually any fish in the evil ocean?
Sigtext!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 31, 2018, 08:35:14 am »

Just need to channel to a pond in a non-evil area; or pump water to make it fresh.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #382 on: October 31, 2018, 09:29:53 am »

You can create fish by pumping evil water through a screw pump? Interesting.
Sigtext!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 31, 2018, 10:28:00 am »

You can even bucket brigade to build a fishing pond.  Fishing are vermins.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 10, 2018, 09:07:08 am »

been a few weeks, any update?

Vaporo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 11, 2018, 01:03:03 am »

been a few weeks, any update?
Real life got in the way again. Next update will be up tomorrow.

Vaporo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 11, 2018, 05:36:00 pm »

Now, to make some REAL progress. First of all, the farms are ready to go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn’t want to destroy the two plots that were already there, so the plots ended up being uneven in size. I went and checked the seed stockpiles, to see what we had.

20-ish of just about everything. Naturally. A lot barley and rice… those would work, but you have to mill them, so let’s see if there’s something a bit easier. A fair number of cassava seeds, but those aren’t edible until you cook them, which is fine since we were going to cook them anyways. Some strawberries… Almost 70 blade weed seeds… Over 300 jute…? OVER 350 COTTON!? HAVE YOU MAGGOTS BEEN GROWING EVERYTHING BUT FOOD?

All right, so here’s what I’m going to do. The smaller plots will get strawberries, since we don’t have many of those. Rice and barley will get two of the big 10*10 plots each. One of the big plot for cassavas, one big plot for passion fruits. One medium 6*10 plot for rye, one medium plot for hanging amaranths, and the remainder for potatoes. For vodka, of course.

Now, you may notice another problem with this farm. The ground the previous overseer selected is riddled with unusable stone. My options were A: dig down one layer to clear out the stone, or B: figure out a way to get water onto the stony bits and make them usable. Both of those would take time, and with all the time these maggots have wasted I wanted to get growing as soon as possible.

I’ve also started flooring over the bottom of the Breakfast Pit and installing floor bars, so that we don’t lose any valuable armor and weapons.

Speaking of armor and weapons, our brave military has been using –ugh – copper for far too long. I’ve ordered the construction of some proper steel weapons, and put in a perpetual order to smelt iron ore and make steel.

I’ve also told a bunch of peasants and fisherdwarves to grab picks, ‘cause this fort is desperately lacking in miners. It’s lacking in a lot of things, but miners are what I need right now.

First of all, I’m digging out new rooms to replace the horrible pigsties we were using before.

And of course, since I’m trying to use the miners right now, this maggot just threw his pick to the ground and charged off towards the nearest mason’s workshop.

Well, at least I have two mo... OH, COME ON YOU MAGGOTS!

Also, in his rage the miner toppled the bookcase where the magic teleporting death book used to be stored, so you see! Planning ahead.

And that other miner's finished his artifact, now.

Well, in any other fortress I’d probably complain about getting such a worthless piece of garbage, but in a fort like Breakfastpit I suspect that we may find a use for this.

Also, a three fishery workers, four rangers, a peasant, a mechanic, a pump operator, six farmers, a weaponsmith, a stonecrafter, and a bookbinder all showed up at the front gate asking to be let in. Our population is now 141. You see! People flock straight to a good leader.

I’ve also started digging a tunnel up to the aquifers, to increase the maximum water flow to the Breakfast Pit so that we don’t have to rely on the maggot-like natural refill rate of the caverns. It’s going very well.

Angrily scratches the “Don’t open all Breakfast Pit valves” entry off of Dozebom’s suggestion list.

I’ve also been working on a bit of a secret project. So secret, in fact, that I haven’t even told the workers what I’m planning. For now, I’m referring to the project by its code name: Project ChopOffOneOfAkkosHands. Don’t know why, but they always give me a strange look when I ask how it’s going.

I released Akko from prison. She was ecstatic at first, but then when I told her to hold her arm over a steel spike trap she became all upset for some strange reason. Now she’s whining and complaining and begging me to take her back to her cage and… ARE THOSE TEARS YOU MAGGOT?! Oh, it disgusts me to see how my predecessors have lain a brave defender of Breakfastpit so low. I’ve had enough of this maggotry. I force Akko’s hand onto the spike trap. The onlookers are shouting at me to have mercy.

What? Mercy? MERCY?! THIS. IS. BREAKFASTPIT!*

I catch the prize as it flies loose. Akko’s on the floor sobbing, clutching her stump and begging for us to kill her. Oh, stop whining Akko. You’re a werebeast. You’ll be back to normal by the end of the month.

Anyways, that’s all I needed from Akko. I ordered the guards to take her back to her cell, and one of them spat on my boots in respect as he passed.

All said and done, I’d say that project went pretty well. Yessiree, no problems whatsoever. I definitely didn’t reset time over and over until I got the results I wanted, no sir. Because that would be cheating, and nobody wants to be labelled a cheater, now do they?

Anyways, it’s time to move on to phase two of Project ChopOffOneOfAkkosHands.

Oh, and on an aside, the farmers seem to be struggling to keep everything planted in the farm. I may need to enable the labor on a few more dwarves.

*Editor's note: This joke was much funnier when we were trying to knock her arms off by dropping her down a pit.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:55:50 pm by Vaporo »

Vaporo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 11, 2018, 07:44:44 pm »

Well, I just played another month into the game, and if you guessed what I was trying to do with the Akko project in the last post, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work anymore. Which is a real shame, since I had big plans for that project. I'd have sworn that I'd seen it happen in a recent fort, though.

Well, live and learn, I guess. I'll have to figure out what to do with that hand, now.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 12, 2018, 03:02:08 am »

Goddamn but Akko's life sucks.

Remind me not to name dwarves after characters I like in the future.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 13, 2018, 05:26:36 am »

you... cut off a werebeast hand. on a white sand tile?.... now I'm curious if a raised hand from a werebeast still transforms under a full moon. would be VERY breakfastpit for that to be the next problem we face. a severed hand reanimates and transforms into a full werebeast.

yeah... I think I started some copper? but barely got around to finishing the magma smelters before my turn ran out.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28