Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 63741 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12
« on: April 27, 2018, 05:29:55 am »

Onlilgor, "Breakfastpit"
Breadbowl II: Bread Harder

Excerpt from Foodstuffs of the Peoples of the Realm, Chapter 4.2 - Dwarven Cuisine by Cadem Slopfeasts

"The foodstuffs of the dwarves are widely considered to be an acquired taste: acquired, that is, by deciding eating them is just barely preferable to starving to death and/or resorting to cannibalism.

Take for instance the common Plump Helmet, an invasive purple fungus that grows voraciously underground, and is staple of most dwarven diets. Those unlucky enough to have tried this 'delicacy' generally liken it's taste and texture to "decades-old loincloth leather soaked in cat urine".

It is perhaps unsurprising, then, that the dwarves habitually blunt their already underdeveloped senses with alcohol. Certainly if I was frequently forced to consume their dishes I would wish to be equally inebriated."

Oddom Relicgang, the dwarven queen of The Basic Gates finished quoting the book in front of her and closed it, raising an eyebrow at her husband Rigoth over their private dinner table as she lifted a fork to her mouth.

"An insult to dwarves everywhere!" Rigoth said, thumping the table. "This will not stand. I will mobilize the assassins at once!"

"Hold, husband. It is not an insult without some merit," said Oddom, chewing her food thoughtfully. "You must admit there is a certain... cat-like aftertaste. Waiter? What is this dish?"

“Chef's specialty, your majesty. Dodu casque brűlé,“ said the waitdwarf formally.  “It consists of masterfully prepared plump helmet, stuffed with exceptionally minced plump helmet, superiorly garnished with plump helmet and with a side of plump helmet. The chef recommended we serve it with a mug of plump helmet wine.”

"Hmm," Oddom looked down at her food before politely pushing it to the side and said, “Go to the chef and tell them they’re a militiadwarf now. Make sure the commander stations them somewhere far, far away from the kitchen.”

“At once, your majesty,” said the waiter, bowing deeply.

“And you, Rigoth dear. Could you find me seven farmdwarves who seem restless? I have a task for them.”

Rigoth noted the glint in his queen's eye and smiled grimly. "What exactly are you planning, dear?"

"We are going to rewrite the chapter on Dwarven Cuisine."

This was originally intended to be a standard 2-week 1-year succession fort with a goal: export as much quantity and variety of food and drink as possible.

... things did not go according to plan. Beset by werepigs, undead goblins, necromancers and a bunch of murderous alcoholic midgets, producing food has become a secondary goal to simply surviving another year in our "peaceful farming settlement".

Rules:

* Trade all your food and drink to every caravan.
- After every trade, you should have no edible food or drink left.
- Humans are considered couriers delivering to the Mountainhome. Elves do not exist in this world.

* No buying food from the caravans.
- You'll need to produce your food, not buy it.

* Underground crops are not allowed.
 - Enclosed crops (aboveground crops underneath some sort of roof) are allowed, on one condition: the roof must be made of glass.

* Report the export value of each trade you make.
- We will use trade value as a proxy for quantity, since it's so much easier to measure.
- For plot purposes, our goal is to feed all 4899 dwarves of our civilization. This will take approximately 80,000 units of drink (400,000☼) and 40,000 units of food(4,000,000☼).

* Handover will take place at the start of winter
- This way, each overseers trade quantities won't be influenced by food stockpiled during winter by the previous overseer.

More general rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goals

* feed every dwarf of our civilization

* build farms for every type of above-ground crop

* pasture a breeding pair of as many types of animal as possible, with an emphasis on rare and exotic meats.

For dorfing or a turn, ask and ye shall recieve.

Turn List

Quasar - A new beginning

Traded
435 Prepared Food (43,484☼)
136 Drink (642☼)

2. FakerFangirl

Trade records lost

3. Kametec_Housen

Traded
486 Prepared Food 48.637☼
34 Drink 172☼

4. Sanctume
Trade: no trade contact made

5 Carch

Traded
168 Prepared Food 16.887☼
156 Drink 781☼

6. Bearskie

Trade pending

7. GPeter
8. Dozebôm Lolumzalěs
9. Vaporo

Dwarf List

You may be redorfed after death, but you'll need to come up with a new name.  No resurrections, body-hopping or suspiciously similar distant cousins please.

Quasar - Bookkeeper/Founder - Dead
Faker Fangirl - Armourer/Founder - Dead/Zombified/Deanimated
Sanctume - Cook/Herbalist/Founder - Dead
Lunardog - Carpenter/Founder - Dead/Zombified/Deanimated
Moony The Human - Carpenter - Werepig
Kametec Housen - Planter/Miller/Founder - Dead/Zombified/Deanimated
Hydrangea - Troll slaying demigoddess (also a cook)
Zan - Sworder/Commander/Founder
Imic - male/chef/some musical ability
LordBrassroast - Dead
VoiceBook - Dead
Akko - Widow
Ace - Macedwarf - Dead/Made into a glorious bone bin artifact by Akko
Species0Unknown - Hammerer
Dozebom - Animal Trainer
LordBrassroast - Miner
Auze - Scholar
Carch - Mad Scientist
Noloc - Translator

Diggy - Undwarfed
Killermartian - Undwarfed
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:32:02 pm by QuQuasar »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl II: Bread Harder - A(nother) Succession Farm
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 05:30:44 am »

Quotable Quotes

oh no not again
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:03:42 pm by QuQuasar »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 09:54:42 am »

Oh I'm in.  But my next 2 to 3 weekends are booked.  So put me on the 3rd or 4th turn please?

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:24:37 pm »

Sign me up. But I'll only need 4 days for my turn. I nominate settling near a river.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:23:58 pm »

I'm up for this, sign me up, please! As for embark preferences.. Clay is a must have. If we're going to build above ground, we need bricks.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 07:48:14 pm »

Okay you bunch of useless sods! Our expedition formed at the insistence of the Queen herself, so listen up.

We'll be arriving in less than two weeks. The cartographers found us a, uh... let's say 'good'... embark site. It's on the border between a tropical and temperate biome, so we can plant the widest variety of crops possible. It's also on a coast line of a perfectly ordinary ocean, so get used to the idea of crashing waves and the clean sea air.

We will be embarking with one or two or all types of seed bags. Now, making room for all of these seeds will mean leaving some stuff behind, like weapons and armour and picks and competent dwarves. That's fine. We are farmers, not warriors. Glory for us does not mean crushing our enemies, it means feeding our own the most magnificent cuisine imaginable.

Finally, early scouts have come back with maps of the fortress site. Familiarise yourself with them: this location will be your new home.

OOC: I haven't embarked yet: that last image was from when I was scouting the area and making sure it was viable. I will wait for all 7 founding dwarves to be spoken for before I actually begin the embark.

The location itself is split by the sand coming in from the water: the terrain to the left of the sand is temperate while the terrain to the right is tropical. You can spot the border between them if you pay attention to the stone pebbles between the grass: white dolomite on the left, brown mudstone on the right.

I did cheat a little to confirm that the aquifer can be penetrated without needing to rely on the double slit method (it can), but otherwise haven't explored anything more than the surface. I don't know what effects the evil ocean has. We will have to be careful with our butchering until we know if it raises the dead.

Also, we don't have elves: as far as I can tell, they have never even existed in this world. On the bright side, this will save us the hassle of having to filter out wooden containers.

The current embark plan is:

1 Carpenter
1 Bookkeeper
1 Guard
3 Growers
1 Cook

I have dibs on the Bookkeeper. If you want one of the other founders, let me know!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:21:59 pm by QuQuasar »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 08:03:38 pm »

Read Breadbowl, and this looks like !!fun!!
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 08:37:24 pm »

The Urn-Ocean of Snot. Gotta love the name!

Out of these 7, I'd like to take a planter and do some milling as well. Just please, please pick a dwarf who doesn't dream about creating a masterpiece for me.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: Breakfastpit - A(nother) Succession Farm
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 12:31:47 am »

oh no not again
Dwarf me \o/
All i need is to be a male.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 02:05:26 am »

We are here.

This is the place the cartographers selected. Over there is the Urn-Ocean of Snot, a strange but fertile sea, and we stand upon the very border of tropical and temperate biomes: It should be possible to plant and grow a great variety of food here.

I have formed friendships with my travelling companions on the trip out: indeed I believe we are all friends with one another. It is good that we get along so well: we will be spending a lot of time in each others company in the future, and it would not be practical to be griping at one another.

In my capacity as bookkeeper, I will here record here some details about my friends and companions.

We are all dwarves of The Basic Gates, and as such we all share the same pale brown hair, golden eyes and dark brown skin.

Spoiler: Quasar (click to show/hide)

My name is Quasar Mothbronze. I am a woman of 65 years with very long hair in twin braids, and a bookkeeper with some leatherworking skill. With that in mind, I bought some naked mole dog leather along: I am certain I can use it to make some quality armour to protect myself and my companions from the dangers of the wilderness. I am told I have a good heart, and that I tend to laugh a lot, perhaps a little too often. That said, I do have a little difficulty with the spoken word, hence my preference for the written.

I love cavies for their adorable call. I do hope there are cavies out here.

Spoiler: Kametec (click to show/hide)

This is our expedition leader, and farmer by trade, Kametec Housen Paddleveil. A large, muscular and extremely religious man of 59 years with very long mustache and beard under a bald head, he is a proficient grower with some milling and musical skill. He has quite the temper, is very stubborn and impolite, and may actually be a clinical sociopath. All in all, his god has seen fit to bestow upon him quite the unpleasant personality.

Luckily, he is not a stupid man and always willing to ask for help from those around him, which makes him easier to get along with than you might expect from the above description.

He ardently worships Alod, the god of Order, Duty and Healing.

Spoiler: Faker Fangirl (click to show/hide)

Our armourer, Faker Fangirl Crystalcruxes. She is 70 years old, with neatly combed short, straight hair. Our expedition was exceedingly lucky to get a dwarf with any metalworking skill at all, so we didn't inquire further about her background. Her skill and talent are quite impressive, though perhaps slightly less impressive than she herself believes them to be.

Upon learning that we would have an armourer joining us, I ordered some spare cassiterite, malachite and charcoal with the expedition funds. It will take a few days to smelt it all into bronze, but we would never have been able to afford bronze armour and weapons. I'm quite proud of that little trick.

Spoiler: Sanctume (click to show/hide)

Sanctume Copperspears, a woman 63 years old, and our cook and herbalist. She has hair like mine: waist length and tied in double braids. I am certain she will be kept quite busy in the days ahead. She is obsessed with order and structure in her life, which will hopefully prove to be a boon more than a burden when it comes to organizing what is likely to be a significant workload.

Spoiler: Moony The Human (click to show/hide)

Our carpenter, Mooney "The Human" Esteemedclasped, an absolutely massive man of 77 years, with average beard and hair length and an extremely long mustache. In spite of his overwhelming size he is a gentle man with no self-esteem to speak of: he mostly tends to avoid crowds, ask others for help, and think carefully before acting.

Drink changes him however: he has mentioned thoroughly enjoying the occasional drunken brawl. In spite of this, I consider him among the most level-headed and self-aware of my companions.

Spoiler: Lunardog (click to show/hide)

Planter and Thresher, Lunardog Tacticcity is a large, extravagant man of 62 years. I am quite certain he has never trimmed his hair, sideburns, mustache or beard: they are so long they render his face invisible behind a neatly combed fall of pale taupe strands. A magnificent image! ... is what he thinks, anyway.

Perhaps not the brightest dwarf in the mountainhome, but a competent planter and preparor of harvested plant stuff.

OOC: I will add bio's for our swordsdwarf and planter/thresher when someone claims them.

In addition to the dwarves, we also have Turkeys and Peacocks, and of course the horse and water buffalo that pulled the wagon. Hopefully we will be able to build enclosed pastures to keep them all safe from local predators (and worse).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:52:23 pm by QuQuasar »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 03:32:51 am »

Perfect. 

Do we still have the rule where above-ground farms covered by ceilings may only be covered by clear glass (not green glass)? 

Wasn't there also a no vertical farms, i.e. muddied stacking floors?  Muddy is fine, so long as there aren't any other farms on another z of same x-y axis? 

--
We have sand, so magma-glass furnace will make our food container profitable. 

--
Trade rules questions:

How to account for food and drinks before and after trading again?  Something about the normal and red text.  Screenshots is a must, I say.

Are we allowed to buy food from trade?  Maybe just allow buying food from non-dwarves? 

We only trade food so value / profit is not including other non-food, except containers. 

Still no underground farm allowed? 

Sanctume likes dwarven wine!  But that's ok, it's only food/drink preference.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 05:57:37 am »

The image for Moony is broken.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 06:53:57 am »

Moony, why haven't you cut down that tree? What do you mean you can't?

Yes, I know that's a training axe. Yes, I know it's made of wood. So are the trees you're cutting with it. So what if it doesn't have an edge, it's an axe isn't it? I don't understand. I know dwarves can cut trees with training axes, I've seen it before.

... what do you mean physics changed? I don't care about physics, I care about you cutting down that tree! Come on man, why are you being so difficult about this? Just cut down the-

Okay, fine. Fine! You're the expert, I'll take your word for it. So, what do we do now then? We have no picks, we can't dig. We have no axe, we can't cut wood. Faker, could you make Moony a nice bronze axe once you're done smelting?

Thank Armok someone is on top of things around here...

Moony sets out with a brand new bronze axe, still warm from the forge, and the trees at last begin to fall. We will now begin work on a longhouse to which we can retreat in an emergency.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 10:47:17 am »

I'd like to request a dwarfing!  Female cook, or brewer, or armoursmith, if you would.  Named "Hydrangea".
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 10:58:56 am »

I'd like to confirm that we're playing unmodded 44.09, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28