Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 63708 times)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: Breakfastpit - A(nother) Succession Farm
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 05:10:00 am »

Well. Looks like we settled on an aquifer. /cringe

Holy.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 06:35:37 am »

Well. Looks like we settled on an aquifer. /cringe
We did indeed, but I confirmed during scouting that it's possible to get past it without pumps or cave-ins. The aquifers are at different levels on each of the three biomes.

Holy.
I know, right? I'm still not convinced she didn't lie on her entrance papers. I'm going to have to look her up in legends to confirm that one. Actually...

... 'Hydrangea' has a history. Born "Vucar Channeleddrive" in 190, she lived in Scholarwheels (one of our civilization's hillocks) and became a cook. Married Doren at the age of 32. Gave up cookery to become a scout. Then in 231, travelled to Roughscorches (another of our hillocks) to aid in it's defense.

In Roughscorches, 819 dwarves fought off more than 2000 goblins, nearly 400 trolls and the demon "Nagnod Yellsblisters the Poisoned Ooze of Eels" (an amber brute. The only one of her kind. A huge lizard twisted into humanoid form composed of amber. It has a gaunt appearance. Beware it's deadly spittle!) in The Maw-Attack of Lances. Nearly 500 dwarves died that day, but Vucar Channeleddrive wasn't one of them. She didn't get any historical kills, but she did kill 97 trolls. So yeah. That's legit.

She then became a spy, assumed the identity of 'Zapas Wurdasmir', and infiltrated the human town of Icycrowded. While there, she formed a false friendship with a human man called "Staddat Ramgarlic" in order to learn information about Icycrowded. Unfortunately for her, Staddat was actually a spy for a different human civilization, and he had befriended her in order to learn information about Icycrowded. Ultimately nobody learned anything from anyone, and two years later  'Zapas Wurdasmir' left Icycrowded and migrated to Breakfastpit, where she became known as 'Hydrangea'.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 04:26:42 pm »

perhaps the quotes section could also hold saves so we can go in with legions mode?
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 05:11:38 am »

Quasar stepped out of the longhouse of Breakfastpit and shielded her eyes from the glare reflecting off of the white sand. Crouching, she ran the stuff through her fingers. It was strange stuff: dry and powdery, and too white: every grain the same monotonous colour without any hint of the yellow or pink along other coastlines.

Her fingers found something hard beneath the surface: a shell, perhaps. Except... she hadn't seen any sign of shells along this beach. A pebble, then? There were plentiful dolomite and mudstone pebbles around...

The bookkeeper dug her fingers around the object and lifted it free of the sand. Too light to be a pebble... she brushed the sand off it, and felt a chill go down her spine as she recognised the shape.

It was a finger bone. A *human* finger bone. Which meant this sand... this entire coastline...

Quasar dropped the bone and kicked the sand back over it, glancing around sharply to make sure nobody had seen her. The others didn't need to know about this.

No wonder the ground was so fertile here...

So, appropos of absolutely nothing at all, I think we should put down floorboards. For, uh... "hygiene". Yes. We'll start with the bedrooms.

One of the documents I brought in the wagon was a botanical study of tree's and their uses. Having read it now, I have decided to limit our woodchopping strictly to non-productive varieties of tree. We shall turn the forests into an orchard and retrieve a bountiful harvest of kumquats, plums, oranges, limes, papaya and nuts every spring.

All the rest I have ordered Moony to murder as soon as possible (that mostly means Alder, Maple, Willow, and Tea Tree's).

I also dug a tiny chicken coop.

OOC: Ran out of time to finish up my turn tonight due to other commitments, so give me one more night. I have less than a month left to play before handover. Am debating what I should spend my last month on. Floorboarding is important, and it's a project I can probably complete before handover, but at the same time we don't have anything structural yet to protect the farms and cattle and I haven't even looked at probing the aquifer...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 09:15:28 am »

/ooc I think one project/building at a time should be a decent goal for overseers to make sure it is completed with that overseer's intention/vision instead of hoping future overseers finish it.  Some exceptions of course, like a mega wall project. 

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.09
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 05:38:42 am »

Awright, finishing things up.

We pulled down the workshops in the long house to put down floorboards. The petrified wood we used originally is the only stone left in Breakfastpit at the moment, and until we reach a more sustainable source of stone, we should be cautious not to waste it.

We rebuilt the workshops outside, as it was getting somewhat cramped in the longhouse. The pattern is far from perfect, but it should reduce the amount of hauling we have to do. I'll leave it to future overseers to decide what to do with our industry.

Zan and Hydrangea have been training to improve their skills, and their armour is now slightly better than useless (bronze, with steel helms). While I admit I'm unhappy about entrusting the fate of us all to 2 dwarves, even if one of them is a dwarven demigoddess of wanton troll murder, the only other dwarves with combat skills are either crossbow wielders or more valuable as skilled workers. Another thing for future overseers to sort out.

Best wishes to whomever inherits this position. You are going to need it: our production quota's are obscene.

Save file is here.

PM Sent. Good luck Faker Fangirl!

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 05:33:31 pm »

Unfortunately for her, Staddat was actually a spy for a different human civilization, and he had befriended her in order to learn information about Icycrowded. Ultimately nobody learned anything from anyone,
Lol.

I assume you're using this starter pack.

Best wishes to whomever inherits this position. You are going to need it: our production quota's are obscene.
What's the worst that could happen? Time to make farms!

Farms are underway.

No querns?! Unacceptable!

I am hereby banning the export of querns! Anyone attempting to export a quern shall be sentenced to scouting the nearest goblin pits! Put your noses to the grindstones folks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:24:02 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 06:23:09 pm »

Oh this is embarrassing. I just realised I forgot to revert to ASCII.  It's still in starter-pack default phoebus.

I won't be able to fix the save until tonight, so be aware of that if you download it.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 06:29:56 pm »

... Time to make farms!
Famous last words.  Incredibly odd last words, but famous none the less.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2018, 09:20:30 pm »

Wait, do my eyes deceive me? Terribly cheesy food puns? Ridiculous food export quotas? Quasar back on the boards like it's circa-2016? Is this.. the long-awaited Breadbowl sequel?!

I know I haven't been super active lately, but there isn't a chance in hell I'm gonna miss this. CHEF, PASS ME AN APRON NOW!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2018, 12:18:59 am »

I know I haven't been super active lately, but there isn't a chance in hell I'm gonna miss this. CHEF, PASS ME AN APRON NOW!
We're getting the band back together!

Do you want a dorfing? We still have an undwarfed founder, our local sworder and militia commander of The Narrow Wheels 'Zan'.

Sorry this took so long, Faker Fangirl. Here's the save in ASCII format: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13730

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2018, 08:09:28 am »

Well, that's me I suppose. Time to become the resident bad-ass.

Sweet, we've upgraded to 44.10! Time to bugtest a newly-implemented stress system that could in no way result in the ultimate downfall of the fortress, nope siree.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 04:34:03 am »

could I be put in line as well? this looks promising. and.. while dwarves can always be relied on to provide it, a lot less high-drama then some others by it's premise.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2018, 04:50:09 am »

I canmt believe I did not know this had started again.
I request a dorfing as a chef! Male please, named Imic, and if possible, someone with some musical ability in their character sheet.
I may RP, I wanted to do more last time, but I didn't reach the point where he would get more nightmares than usual before he died. If I do RP, he'll only speak in old Dwarven. If possible, give his best friend the custom proffession of "Translator"
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:53:37 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2018, 09:15:58 am »

I'm scared with v44.10 depression comeback like it was was circa v42 when corpse clean up crew was a real chore.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28