Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 63727 times)

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.09
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »

I'll put an update together later, but I'll spoil you: when opening a mine I found a spot without aquifer. Or really deep aquifer, as I struck cavern first. So stone, copper ore, iron ore (and there is a flux stone in caverns), platinum ore and gold ore are all accessible. I'm also having trouble with burying reanimated dwarf, so I'll be writing a question in gameplay questions as well. The body just sits on the coffin and generates burial jobs again and again.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2018, 10:01:17 pm »

Less work for me then!  I can make it a goal to bring magma up to setup magma glass furnaces for a grand kitchen.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2018, 05:38:27 am »

Please, please deal with the workshop mess in front of the longhouse. It's driving me crazy and I don't have time to deal with it properly. When building aboveground, lots of blocks are needed. Like thousands. I wanted to build a hall for woodworkers and stoneworkers, but for design I have in mind I need 2 doors, 78 gabbro blocks and 704 wooden blocks. I don't have dwarfpower to produce and place that in my turm, especially when I have more pressing matters to deal with, like burials (the corpses are driving dorfs crazy), stocking hospital and securing a water soure (to get hospital up and running properly).

btw fyi: Endless burial

edit: I worked around the issue, Faker Fangirl is laid to rest. I'll continue my turn later today.
edit2: All bodies are buried, well is built and hospital is up and running. It's late autumn.
edit3: It's midwinter, just two more months. I'll start writing an update soon.
edit4: Turned out hematite is not spring as I thought. Nevertheless, I've finished the turn. Once I prepare update I'm done. I must admit I don't envy Sanctume though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:21:42 am by Kametec_Housen »

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2018, 08:16:29 am »

It's Malachite already. I don't like summer. It is really hot, I get sweaty all the time and have to take bath every month. And the pile of corpses in front of the longhouse smells worse than usual. We need to get them buried. Poor souls deserve that at least. Luckily, some migrants have arrived, so we may be able to do it fast enough.

Migrants are:
VoiceBook, legendary weaponsmith
Zefon Ulingsakzul, novice farmer
Solon Komandekuk, adequate weaver
Noloc Risaspestrat, criminal
Limul Regatir, novice farmer
Kogan Lorgeshud, novice farmer
Ilral Zasitingish, novice farmer
Etur Shorastfarash, novice farmer
(And a cat. If you know how to cat Lunardog15, go ahead.)

That pulled thorn out of my foot. With those extra hands, things are finally starting to look better. I ordered VoiceBook to make some pickaxes, gave them to the farmers and ordered them to open a mine. We need building materials! I refuse to just dump our dead to a hole in the ground, they deserve a proper cemetery. So hurry up you lazy bunch!

Looks like we missed the aquifer, yay!
Spoiler: Cavern (click to show/hide)

Luckily, a fungiwood is blocking entrance to the newly struck caverns and I'll leave it that way. We have more pressing matters above so it is good that we don't have to deal with whatever wanders down there. Lots of interesting stones and ores on the way. For now, I'll have you mine gabbro and orthoclase. Yeah, those are great for cemetery. Let's make some wheelbarrows and let's cut those stones into neat blocks. Wait Limul! Where are you going?! We need that workshop! Get out of there. We can't make blocks like that! What are you doing? Those gabbro stones are meant for blocks, not for...
Spoiler: this (click to show/hide)
Okay, that looks nice, I'll give you that. You're a legendary mason now, right? We could use you. What? .. WHAT? You've became a legendary miner instead? How do you make a millstone and NOT become a legendary mason? Better than nothing, I guess, but we could use the mason, you know? Well, at least the workshop is free again and things are looking better.

Spoiler: Damn (click to show/hide)
Or not. Quickly, get that millstone underground! Our first treasure is not going to go into some filthy parrot nest! What is it, Etur? Interrupted by a rattlesnake? Again? Damn, just deal with it somehow, you're a big dwarf. A flock of smelling rotting zombie albatrosses has arrived and are bothering our new carpenter, Solon. Luckily Zan the Sworder and Hydrangea are nearby, go get 'em!

We're slowly getting production of blocks started. We don't have an experienced mason, but that will remedy itself as we cut more blocks. And coffins. And slabs. As we're laying the foundations of our cemetery, another caravan has arrived. Damn, I left only a skeleton crew in the kitchen, we need stuff built if we have to meed the damn quota. Alright, I'll give you what we have, at least. That is 3 barrels of drink, holding together 14 rations of drink worth 28☼. I know they're almost empty, right? We also had to drink something! There are also 3 barrels of prepared food holding 202 portions of meals worth 17 771☼. I'm aware it's not much, but do you have any idea what we're dealing here with? Do you see that rotting pile of corpses? We do. Every single bloody day. And it is driving us crazy, so we need to do something about that asap.

There has been progress. The cemetery is far from finished, but we have started with the burials. Sanctume thinks we're taking too long, so he came back and is bothering us about it. Just wait a little more, 'kay? Another wave of migrants arrived, so we're not so starved for hands anymore.

New arrivals are:
Sibrek Rungaksodel, novice stoneworker
Eshtan Kolutal, novice farmer
Sazir Olonlerom, novice fishery worker
Doren Limulerith, adequate pump operator
Sarvesh Berfikod, novice fishery worker
Zulban Erushsakrith, novice stoneworker
Aban Feshkonos, adequate mechanic
Obok Kirlogem, novice fishery worker

Hmmm.. 3 Fishery workers, that gives me a brilliant idea! But first we need get done with the burials. And get a hospital up and running. And a well. Hey you! Go find Sodel and have him make some beds, tables and a chest. We have a hospital designated already, but it is empty room with a bed, not a hospital. And what is it with the commotion outside? Intruders you say? Necromancers, damn! Zan, get Hydrangea and kill them before they see the bodies we didn't get to bury yet!

Spoiler: Run, Zan, run! (click to show/hide)
... They ran away. Wow, they're fast. How do I get you to run that quickly too? And have you seen Etur recently?

And it is done, we got rid of the corpse pile and buried everyone. It took longer than expected and lots of our dwarfs look really stressed. Let's hope they'll hold up. Well is dug out and hospital is furnished and stocked.
Spoiler: Hospital stock (click to show/hide)

All right, and here are the fisherdwarfs. Nice! Get this helmet, chain shirt and breast plate. Don't worry about covering your arms and legs. Okay, okay, have a leather robe as well. And now follow me. I'd like to introduce you to a friend downstairs...
Spoiler: Later... (click to show/hide)

(3 dwarfs with their vitals protected by copper armor and appendages with just leather robe. Plan was to have Moony bite them, have them give in to pain and get caught in a cage before they die. 2 got bitten and caged, 1 bled out. I released them in hospital and waited for another full moon. They attacked each other and one died. When I put the survivor to the werepig pen together with Moony, Moony killed him on next full moon. Damn, werepigs are supposed to not to kill each other, aren't they? Looks like wiki page on werecreatures needs an update, there goes my Project: Werepig Breadbowl.)

I got another brilliant idea! Waiting for our masons to get faster is so tiring, I couldn't bear watching them any longer. I threw the poor sod out of the workshop and made a beautiful millstone to show them how it is done. I'm sure I can now make blocks in to time either. Now we'll finish the cemetery and we'll begin work on some other building. Options are: a block of flats, halls for our craftdwarfs or a wall.
Spoiler: My masterpiece! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Suddenly: (click to show/hide)
Damn, I've had enough werepigs already, kill it. Apart from this nuisance, we've had to deal with horseshoe crab zombie which came from the ocean and we've finally found Etur. Did he really just die to a rattlesnake? (I've been getting some cancellation spam: interrupted by a rattlesnake for some time. But I've been getting interruptions by keas as well, so I didn't pay it attention. That just made surprise even bigger when I found Etur Shorastfarash dead in the hands of a rattlesnake (don't ask), now called Gecastzim.)

It was a busy winter, but the cemetery is almost done, just a part of roof is all that remains. I'm sure I finnish it up during my turn and have some blocks ready for future projects by Sanctume. I've also had some trees chopped and placed orders for total of 500 wooden blocks. All that remains now is to just... Damn!
Spoiler: Whoops! (click to show/hide)

Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Everyone run to the longhouse! Now! I'll pull the lever and if you're late, you'll stay outside! ... Phew, that was close. Is everyone accounted for? Yep, noone has been left outside. Now we wait. Luckily we have food stockpile in here. There was no time to bring anything. But this can go on years, so we better prepare. I want access to some water. And dig some hall sized area too while you're at it, there has been mushrooms and mosses growing everywhere for some time. Some of them may be edible. I wouldn't dream about sending those back to the mountainhomes, but we don't know how long we're going to stay holed up. And the fields outside are full of zombies.

It has been about 3 months since the damn zombies arrived. Necromancers have dissapeared somewhere and the zombies are chasing our livestock ever since. Stress is weighting heavily on us. Some folks have thrown tantrums. One dead so far. Of cource right on the cursed sand, so we had to kill him again. I don't think Hydrangea can handle much more, she is deppressed often lately. I've appointed Zan as sheriff to cut the tantrums short. I mean, sheriffs are supposed to deal with dwarfs who start bashing others, right? And I would prefer stressed dwarfs being beaten as opposed to not so stressed dwarfs being beaten. I've designated part of the longhouse as a tavern and another part as a temple to help deal with the stress of being shut in here. Ah, help came, at last!

Spoiler: Our saviors! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Oh (click to show/hide)

Also, a one of the children woke up demanding a workshop. I don't know which, but I am not opening the gates. The only good news here lately is that our criminal has given birth. It offsets the impending loss of a fey child I guess.

We're down to 105 drinks and 340 meals. Should we run out of drinks, I'd prefer having a herbalist look for edible mushrooms and brew those. I don't think we can deal with alcohol widrawal right now. But that is not my concern, I think it is time to pass the overseer role to some unfortunate volunteer to see if he can get us through this.

Spoiler: Way too full cemetery. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Underground (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current unit list (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Corpse dump (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: And finally (click to show/hide)

Sorry, I've messed up. I got my turn started on 22nd Felsite, but I mistook 10th Hematite as the anniversary, so I played a little longer than I was supposed to. I apologize.

Corpse dump zone is not activated until needed, to prevent accidental dumping of other stuff. It needs to be found and [ i] -> [a]ctivated

Unded siege came in early spring. I decided to shut dwarfs in the longhouse and wait it out. But it can be a really long time, maybe we could allow Sanctume to wait it out and then have his year?

I have added [N]otes to document what each lever does.

Here is the save: http://kametec.housen.cz/save/breadbowl_ii.7z

Good luck!

edit: I used DF 44.10
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:01:57 am by Kametec_Housen »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2018, 01:09:37 am »

We're getting massacred AHAHAHAHA. Wait till the necros find our tomb, we're all going to be so boned. If this fortress lives to the 10th year, I'm calling it a total success.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2018, 05:54:02 am »

sounds like you had a terrible time, but at least we're getting through it. slowly?
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2018, 06:06:21 am »

Weren't we supposed to be a farming fort? As far as I can tell, the only seeds being sewn any more are all the bodies for future necromancers, who will come here following the tales of how not to run a program to feed the world.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2018, 06:22:54 am »

Oh boy, this is going to be an interesting game...
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2018, 10:07:32 am »

/ooc I claimed Ace, Ace of Mace.  IIRC, re-dorfs are ok as long as they differ from the original, so no Sanctume II, etc

We have plenty of unclaimed dorfs.  I only have a quick time to peruse the roster this morning.  Hoping to play some later today.

10th Hematite, 252 (Early Summer).

Population: 22
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:18:46 pm by Sanctume »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2018, 11:13:45 am »

If I wasn't dorfed, dorf me, and make me a chef. M53 to be precise. And the person I'm most friends with that isn't already named be given the custom profession of "Translator". Read what I said earlier to make sense of that.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2018, 12:46:13 pm »

If I wasn't dorfed, dorf me, and make me a chef. M53 to be precise. And the person I'm most friends with that isn't already named be given the custom profession of "Translator". Read what I said earlier to make sense of that.

updated
14. Imic, “Sous Chef Imic”, m53, skill, Spears, Shields.
He is sometimes cruel, can be very single-minded, a greedy streak, considered rude, has a calm demeanor, and dreams of mastering a skill.
Skills: Carpenter+2.
Relationship: Married to Noloc, father of Girl Inod.

13. Noloc, Criminal, The Translator, f51, mw, Helms, backpacks, querns.
She has a greedy streak, comfortable with other that have a different appearance, isn’t ambitious, and dreams of crafting a masterwork someday.
Skills: Mason+5, Hammer+3, Discipline+1, Tracker+10.
Relationship: Married to Imic, modther of Girl Inod.

22. Girl Inod,  f3, mw, Barrels.
She find helping others emotionally rewarding, slow to anger, can handle stress, and dreams of crafting a masterwork someday.
Relationship: Daughter of Imic and Noloc.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2018, 01:12:21 pm »

Thanks.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2018, 02:44:42 pm »

Alrighty, I'll call dibs on 8 (f16). Call her 'Akko'.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2018, 04:12:58 pm »

Alrighty, I'll call dibs on 8 (f16). Call her 'Akko'.

Done.  Akko is also the CMD.  She is a widow.  Husband Besmar, Trader has a grave somewhere here.

8. Akko, Doctor Akko, f16, fam, barrels, splints.
She of very trusting, has a sense of duty, thinks friendship is important, and dreams of raising a family.
Noble Position: Chief Medical Dwarf.
Skills: Mining+6, Clothier+2.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2018, 04:43:06 pm »

[...] She is a widow.

[..] dreams of raising a family.

Ouch.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28