Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 63692 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.09
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2018, 05:32:32 am »

We all thought this was the sequel to Breadbowl, but little did we know we actually signed up for the Bonepillar sequel.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2018, 07:10:15 am »

well. the dwarf queen did want 'unique dishes'. one can only imagine what the food coming out of this place does to people.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.10
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2018, 12:14:47 am »

Part 3: Siege Breaker
“The year aims to convey, in all its emotional richness, the effect of war against death and the toll taken on hamlet and family by the horrors of siege."  -- Ace of Mace.

Mid-Summer, 252

Kogan finally calms down after injuring the Miner Captain, that dwarf-babe Limul.
Spoiler: dwarf-babe (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Limul v Kogan (click to show/hide)

Both Kogan and Zefon are removed from mining duty and put in Bootcamp for some discipline.

Late summer, 252

Work on digging for minecart repeater (flipped horizontal).

--
Ushrir, the dwarven child cancels strange mood: went insane.  She is walled in, safe from others.  Her parents are both deceased in graves here in Breakfastpit.  Ushrir is 3 years old, and her older brother Iden is 4 and lives here.

--
Hydrangea joins the pity party.
Spoiler: pity party (click to show/hide)

Dig and setup minecart repeater, to use up mudstone clutter on the bottom of the pit so the bridge smasher can be constructed and hooked to the repeater.

Hydrangea is throwing a tantrum.  Her husband Doren is dead in a grave here.  Her youngest son, the other Ushrir (age 1) is here.
Spoiler: Hydrangea (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hydranea v Kogan (click to show/hide)

Early autumn, 252

We continue to work on something in between bouts of depressions and thrown knuckles. 
Putting Kogan and Zefon in Bootcamp seem to settle their tantrums--one can only hope.

A ghost spooks Akko from working.
Spoiler: Akko spooked (click to show/hide)

"Don't worry m'lady, I know how to solve this."  Slab are on order. 

We are also making use of the few coals, and iron ores to make some weapons and trap components.

It is good that I keep an eye on the important things as our booze supply dwindles at a critical number.  A booze room excavation is quickly done to set up a still and I am producing rice wine.

Spoiler: Low Booze (click to show/hide)

Voicebook is making some iron spiked balls for the maze entry path; and a couple of steel short swords, spears, and battle axes; and a couple of silver war hammers and silver maces.

This south entrance is quite complicated and needs a few more engineering tasks.  Commander Zan says that we can utilize the hill to our west and dig out another entrance.  I like this idea, and that we can expand the width to allow future trading also. 

Only Limul and Akko remain in the miner’s squad so I talked about “my idea” to the two ladies.  Unfortunately, I only received cold stares back from both of them. 

Spoiler: West Entrance Dig Plan (click to show/hide)

--
We are out of flux stone, and a few dolomites are exposed from the prior stone excavations.  I hope the miners can find a way to quarry a few more so we can make at least some steel armors.

Limul insists I call her captain, then she ignores me as she meditate on death.  At least Akko is gaining skills with the pick.  Meanwhile, I continue to make booze. 

VoiceBook is producing masterwork iron trap components and steel weapons! 

With a positive progress forward, it is followed by drawbacks as Zefon continue to slip into depression and Kogan continues to destroy the longhouse--there goes the trade depot.

Spoiler: Miners Ignoring me (click to show/hide)

Mid-autumn, 252

The minecart repeater tested ok so Mechanic Aban will next connect the pressure plate to the bridge smasher on the bottom of the pit.

Spoiler: Minecart Repeater Test (click to show/hide)

There is also a vein of lignite so we want those to make more steel.

Late autumn, 252

The new maze entrance is ready,  Let’s hope it works.

--
Oops!  When the last wall at the maze entrance is breached, another bridge lock is needed to block access. 

But this new breach did two things:  those inside wants to go out, and those outside wants to go in.  A “Safety Inside” burrow is activated to allow at least linking the now built bridge.  However, Zulban, the human diplomat, deems it priority to get out now. 

Spoiler: Let me out (click to show/hide)

The human diplomat bought us time to link the maze entry bridge.
Spoiler: Buy Time (click to show/hide)

Early winter, 252

My time is up on this mantle of authority, but I ask for a moon-cycle to complete my task... and no one complains.

I watched in awe at the opening and closing of the Nine Temple Bridge, and how the undead mindlessly come and go back.  I should have added more weapon trap with iron spiked balls, but the manual operation of the Nine Temple Bridge does the job fine.

Spoiler: Maze Entrance (click to show/hide)

As the moon-cycle continue, the undead keeps coming in to be pummeled by the spiked balls or smashed into dust down below.  Soon, the entire mace is clouded with miasma.

Spoiler: Miasma (click to show/hide)

The last undead is thrown down the pit from a swinging iron spiked ball and walks into the smashing bridges.  There is no need to clear the debris of the entrance mace, so the gate will be locked until it is needed again.

Spoiler: Siege Breaker (click to show/hide)

Epilogue

The minecart repeater is stopped, the iron minecart in place but not assigned until it is ready to activate again. 
The west entrance hall is dug but it has not breach through to the outside.  The bridges are under construction and not linked to any controlling levers.  The trade depot is built, but not wagon accessible yet.

Alas, winter has come and I my calling to pursue martial prowess feels more important now than administrative duties.  Someone will surely step up to the task.

Breakfastpit -- end of Sanctume's turn, Early Winter 252.
ASCII DF v44.10 (Windows 10 compressed folder)  Save

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2018, 12:47:25 am »

@Quasar, I did not see this list but below should be an update for page 1.

Dwarf List
Early Winter, 252 (population: 21)

You may be redorfed after death, but you'll need to come up with a new name.  No resurrections, body-hopping or suspiciously similar distant cousins please.

Kametec Housen - Legendary Mason/Expedition Leader
Moony The Human - Carpenter - Werepig
Zan the Sworder - Sworddwarf/Militia Commander
Hydrangea - Troll slaying demigoddess Axedwarf/Cook
Ace of Mace - Macedwarf/Manager (Sanctume)
Sous Chef Imic - Cook/Carpenter
Noloc The Translator - Hammerdwarf (Imic spouse)
VoiceBook - Legendary Weaponsmith
Scholar Auze - Axedwarf/Engraver
Doctor Akko - Miner/Chief Medical Dwarf (Quasar)

[Dorf Requests]
Bearskie - Sworder/Commander/Founder - undorfed
LordBrassroast - anyone - undorfed
Species0Unknown - Hammerdwarf - undwarfed
LordBrassroast - undwarfed

Dead Pool
Quasar - Bookkeeper/Founder - Dead
Faker Fangirl - Armourer/Founder - Dead/Zombified/Deanimated
Sanctume - Cook/Herbalist/Founder - Dead
Lunardog - Carpenter/Founder - Dead/Zombified/Deanimated

Spoiler: Roster Winter 252 (click to show/hide)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2018, 12:54:12 am »

Very good post Sanctume. :3 That will keep the surface clean too.

Hopefully there will be migrant waves soon so I can get dorfed.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2018, 01:32:16 am »

We did it.

Sanctume did it, actually.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2018, 03:34:42 am »

Very good post Sanctume. :3 That will keep the surface clean too.

Hopefully there will be migrant waves soon so I can get dorfed.

I did not see the first page that you were undorfed.  But the current roster has some unclaimed dorfs. 
Spoiler: such as (click to show/hide)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2018, 04:52:52 am »

Aww, did you atom-smash the reanimated founders? I was hoping to put them in a nice museum, sort of like the Valley of the Kings but with more moaning and shuffling.

No need to dorf me, I'll dorf myself on my turn as a migrant.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2018, 08:35:24 am »

I don't recall any founder-named undead in the siege.  I can't see images from work, but I have a screen cap of the 39 undead in my earlier post.  IIRC, Sanctume Quasar, FakerFanGirl, are still listed in the dead tab.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2018, 09:24:32 am »

All dead founders (and any other dead dwarfs prior to the undead siege) are both buried and memorized. Each dead is in a orthoclase sarcophagus with a corresponding orthoclase slab right next to it.

Reanimated dwarfs were a complication at first, there is a confirmed bug preventing their burial: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10396
I used a DFhack workaround, as mentioned here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=170803.0

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2018, 10:32:35 am »

Oh, that Ushrir kid that was walled in from lack of leather-strange mood--it's in a white sand workshop; so we have a zombie (3 year old kid) there, survived by a 4 year old orphaned sibling. 

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2018, 11:04:17 am »

Dorf me as Sibrik (m91), please. With the name "Dozebom." And I'd like to be placed on the turn list as well, thanks.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2018, 08:33:38 pm »

Lunardog it's your turn.

Edit - He has just replied.

i will need to skip

I too am not ready, at least for this week, and will have to skip.

Following me, Carch, you're up next.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:30:53 am by Bearskie »

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2018, 12:18:15 pm »

what? already! alrighty. I can get started on it tomorrow I think?
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2018, 06:03:57 am »

Oi Carch, what's cooking? Don't just leave us in the dark chef.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28