Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 64250 times)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.09
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2018, 11:38:21 am »

As Carch's playing right now, does that mean the next one will be me? Or the ones that have been skipped?
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2018, 01:07:40 am »

I'm free now, so I'll probably take my skipped turn after Carch's.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2018, 05:01:06 am »

Oi Carch, what's cooking? Don't just leave us in the dark chef.
sorry. been able to grab snippets of time only so far. what was supposed to be an easy week turned rather busy. have time now. so I'll still make it. heh.

as an initial update, collated my notes from the last few days. things seem stable. I'm not sure what to do with the 500 wood blocks cued up. and doctor Akko has gone into a fell mood, grabbing 'ace' and killing him before dragging the corpse to a carpenter's workshop.

also. Hydrangea started tantrumming in the middle of making a crime report about someone tantrumming. which was fairly amusing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:10:37 am by Carch »
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2018, 09:14:51 am »

I'm not sure what to do with the 500 wood blocks cued up. and doctor Akku has gone into a fell mood, grabbing 'ace' and killing him before dragging the corpse to a carpenter's workshop.

Armok-damn! Ace of Mace being a horny 16 year-old thought the window Akku (16 year old) misheard her need for a boner when it was literally his bones.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2018, 10:07:40 am »

I'm not sure what to do with the 500 wood blocks cued up. and doctor Akku has gone into a fell mood, grabbing 'ace' and killing him before dragging the corpse to a carpenter's workshop.

Armok-damn! Ace of Mace being a horny 16 year-old thought the window Akku (16 year old) misheard her need for a boner when it was literally his bones.
we do have an artifact quality dwarf bone bin now. meaning an eternal flame is probably possible?

this.. may be a rough turn I have to say. not so much in enemies. but the consequences of the previous turns seems to be hitting home.

Spoiler: just a test (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:16:50 pm by Carch »
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2018, 06:45:24 pm »

(sorry for double post. but figured this'd be better then editing in; I do find I'm struggling a little with the images. haven't used it on the forums in ages. also apologies if this feels slightly rushed compared to some of the others. will have more overview when I'm done. I'm in late summer now, so can finish it tomorrow and upload the save for handing on.)

what? why am I here in some backwater fortress trying to make a living? well, I suppose trying to ent pigtails onto quarry bushes to create something new to drink was a bit of a mistake. aaand after that I may have tried to create a new 'magma still' to try and brew what plump helmet beer we had into something more.. palatable. not my fault the result was more flammable then anyone could imagine. What? no. any accusations that this blew up the last still not making plump helmet beer are grossly exaggerated. at worst it was slightly scorched afterwards.
next thing I know, I'm chained up in a rather nice room, only a supply of plump helmet beer (getting rather tired of this stuff by now). things seemed to be looking up, but then. well. lets just say that waking up to a hammerer standing over you, with the queen next to him saying I have a choice. either take a beating (I still don't like the way the hammerer is grinning at me) or leave the capital, for good, and run some farming community intended to supply better food (and drinks, great!). well. that choice was easy to make.

barely 10 minutes later I find myself amongst a group of other hopefulls, at least a few I think I recognize. there's 7 of us heading out here. myself (stoneworker, mechanic, pump operator), three rangers with weird comments about this wide open sky we've found ourself under, then an engraver and lastly a fishery worker. (keeping upwind of him!)

Well... we've arrived. Surface looks blasted. abandoned fields. cloth and thread left lying around workshops. this fine... white sand starting to drift into the workshops, along barran furrows. it seems to be a very ambitious layout. now abandoned to the elements. in front of all of these is a large wooden structure. We clambered around it, but only found a few walled-off murky pools. long since dried up. behind it however, we found an entranceway, soaked in blood and with a mangled corpse of a dwarf lying outside of it. being the one in charge, I ordered Uvash (the fisherdwarf) in first, and he reported that it led to a large chamber, and even a mineworking further below. as well as a large open space with a raised bridge! a few shouts then rang out from the other side, and when we answered, we found that there were still living dwarves here! my first instinct was to just run off and never come back, but then my fellow travellers (who seemed delighted to have found other dwarves to the point of forgetting the desolation and the scene of carnage) informed them I was to be the new overseer for a year. and then. while I was being given a tour by one 'doctor Akko' someone obviously stressed out of their mind, and who can blame him, the fellow suddenly lets out a roaring laugh, grabs a nearby dwarf he'd just introduced as 'Ace' and drags the stunned unfortunate to a craftsdwarf workshop. I couldn't quite believe my eyes, though I'd certainly heard of this happening, and after the first blow with a carpenter's chisel I wisely took my leave and went on.

going through. this all feels very... ad-hoc. set up in a rush. someone showed me something they called a 'minecart repeater'. my mechanics senses were tingling but I couldn't quite make out what it was about, and any concept of getting on the spiderweb of tracks and boosters there was not in my job description. then, suddenly. a dwarf called Hydrangea barges in to report a crime, apparently some poor fool snapped under the stress they've been under and decided to hit her in the face. it didn't look too serious, but when I tried a joke to lighten the mood, int he middle of formalizing her crime report, she snapped and started tantrumming as well! this place really needs a boost.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

regardless. as everyone is apparently looking to me for leadership (may the gods help us) first things first. if we're stuck in here, we have to make the most of it, for now. taking stock we have tons of rice plants stored up, so food should be, though monotonous, good for the time when I can get a quern and a few bags made. perhaps a trip to the surface to grab some of the goods left behind up there is in order...
should anyone get injured, water is around plentifull, if the talks of the aquifers around here is true. so why is the one water source a sandy hole where it just seeps in? we're putting a well over that immediately. I don't mind drinking it, but at least lets get the sand out of it.

also. priority, if anyone will start digging....? okay. guess I'm picking up a pick and trying my hand at this myself. do we have a smith? some picks! iron is around aplenty? good. iron picks it is. might even be usefull in the military. we need to become more self-reliant. and my favourite substance in the world can help with that. magma.
so. lets plan a route. based on rough sketches I've found we know where one cavern layer is (note to self, seal that staircase. I've heard enough about terrifying beasties coming up from those!) and we know enough to pierce it. then there's a deep shaft we can hug the edges of to get down deep. there has to be magma around there somewhere.

okay. laid out all the plans. now where can I find a pick in this place... hmm... I'm still finding my way around. bumping into someone they happen to mention that they haven't seen Ace around for a week. and can't seem to talk to anyone who knows where he is. I wisely keep my mouth shut and just go 'Ace? I don't think I met him during the tour'.

wait. why aren't you letting me go dig these rocks I designated? oh. everyone is supposed to stay just one step away from them because of a military order. well.. I'll just turn that off. we need to get through here to reach the deeps and the whole fortress is sealed up anyway.

ahh. striking stone. I can finally - what? Akko has made something? a 'dwarf bone bin'. ah. Is Ace still missing? yeah. I have no idea what happened to him either. if I'm comfortable with our doctor being a legendary bone engraver? well. maybe if he has to set my bones he can add some images of dogs on them. that'll make me feel better.

We've almost completed the first passage. we're bypassing this 'maze of death for the undead' the last overseer built, and it looks marvellous. but I'm not touching it if I can avoid it, to reconnect with the passageways he seems to have set up to lead to the surface. they lead to the caverns below, and we can use that. I've set up a few orders to remove the staircases and we'll put up walls to seal this off from outside, untill we're ready to return, at least.

what? Kametec has died? what off? infection maybe? last I checked he wasn't going hungry or thirsty while resting. well. we'll get around to him soon. that's... two deaths. oh. you've found the silver hammer belonging to 'Ace'  therefore he must be dead? yeah. I haven't a clue what could've happene to his body. maybe he was abducted by a beerkeg in the sky. I'm going back up for a drink, get the steel weapons off' him. they'll be usefull.
Oh. hey Kametec, I thought you'd died. um. you're gurgling a bit. what... aahhh! kill it! kill it! why'd that happen? oh. anything dead on the white sand reanimates? WHO PUT THE HOSPITAL ON TOP OF THIS WHITE SAND THEN?

so.. I guess I now know why everyone wants to talk to me, instead of to the expedition leader. upon my arrival, it seems I was given that position. I'm not entirely sure who held it before me, and nobody here seems to want to discuss the matter, so I suppose I'll let itdrop. does mean I have to spend yet more time talking.

Well. it's now spring. I still am uncertain what exactly these people went though, but it's left an indelible mark. many of them are both depressed and angry, and the planter Sibrek often wanders around utterly oblivious to the world.

If my plans are to work. we'll need more wood. as far as we can tell from inside the safety of the longhouse, the surface is clear. I'm opening the gates on the maze, if anything does happen. we'll have a chance.
what? why is everyone running around scared? oh... someone threw a tantrum in the hospital? wait... did someone DIE in there? I haven't had time to move it! everyone who can grab a weapon, do so, we need to make sure anything dead stays that way! be ready to haul any remains from this event into the deeps for incineration. I'm done with this.

Well... that was.. too close. we gathered some of the wood from the stockpiles on the surface. and tried to clear out and bring down everything we might need. we struck lignite and ilminite in the mines, so I ordered another set of coke and iron smelted. as well as several iron minecars manufactured. we can use those to bring up magma from the deep in a controlled fashion. it'll be slow, but very safe. As we were bringing in the supplies a new migrant wave appeared. number 33 dwarves. 33! I ordered a new set of bedrooms carved out to hopefully expand our capacity. we'll need it. food stocks are running low too. but I think I can get a milling operation going to start turning all this rice and other plants into flour we can use for meals.

in less happy news. we've now outgrown the term 'expedition' and I am no longer expedition leader. the old bookkeeper was voted new mayor, and immediately banned some things for export. so far I've been too busy to see exactly what, but I'm sure it won't be anything bad. at least this stops the stream of depressed dwarves trying to talk to me. I mean, I want to help and all. just don't know how.

Mid-summer. and yet more people. I feel the time has come to take a slight risk. I will attempt to wall off a small section of the fields we have. so that it can be accessed risk-free. (aside from flying creatures untill we get glass production). at least with so many hands heavy work is made easy. by late summer we should be ready with this. hmm.. odd. I haven't seen a trade caravan all year. they were supposed to come by and pick up the food we have. though I would've been loathe to sell our scarce supplies of food. although alcohol would've been fine. not that I have a choice. as I have no desire to encounter the hammerer.

late-summer. the wall is done! strike the earth, farmers! plant the seeds. we need to refill our stocks now the raw plants are running low. in other news. the first group of minecarts filled with magma to power the smelters has been brought up from the deeps. I think before winter comes and I can retire from leading this settlement, for the time being at least, I can bring up a second batch. that should at least get a magma smelter and magma glass furnace up and running.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 07:06:54 pm by Carch »

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2018, 02:36:19 pm »

I know it's been a while. but.. nothing much has happened so far. I've been overseeing the bringing of more magma up from the depths, and moved the hospital off' that strange white sand. probably for the best. I've also ordered a few levers set up to control the innermost bridges of the trading depot that my predecessor thoughtfully laid out. there are many more bridges, but for now I'll focus on just those two to have an isolated trade depot that I can open to inside or outside. I think there were plans to have smashing drawbridges from what these notes I've found are saying.

oh? the caravan is here! perfect! let me take note of what we're bringing. hmm.... exclusing barrels we have 16.887 value in prepared food. and.. really? 781 value in drinks? I need to see about getting another still up and running I think. all these newcomers were thirsty. then again. so was I after trekking through the warm abovegrounds.

hmm.. someone is asking what we want for next year.. hmm... tough question. oh. right. we're supposed to be doing all this farming? so. seeds. anything aboveground you can find please. hmm? ah. you brought us some leather and cloth? excelent. any seeds? no. hmm.. could I trade you some of these stone crafts for these bags and this thread? sure? excelent! we'll see you next year! oh. what's this? a note on what you are going to be offering us next year in terms of value? ah. I'll be sure to pass it on to my successor.

Just as we're opening the mechanisms to let the merchants out we see something moving at the end of the tunnel. for a moment I'm afraid, but it's more dwarves. we've got quite the community here now. although I hardly know many of them. with that in mind I expand the squad called bootcamp. why anyone would try to camp in a boot is beyond me, but I'll just leave this name out of respect for my predecessor. wouldn't be the weirdest name a dwarf squad has borne before now. mind you.. if it was a giant's boot. maybe a dwarf could sleep in it? if he was truly desperate. just the thought makes me shudder at the smell.

ahh.. we have enough magma brought up to fuel the first two buildings. I say a smelter and a glass furnace are in order. smelter because I've found several seams of tetrahydrite. if I remember correctly we can make bullion directly from it, would make a nice decoration material. sadly no platinum. but I'm aware how expensive that is.

and glass. well. since we've got all this sand. I figure we might as well purify it with fire and turn it into something usefull. like containers for drinks and our food. as well as burial coffins. as nobody in the last wave was any good with glass I assigned someone. right now we don't really need quality. we need volume of wares to get ourselves going again, I think that using glass to carry our wares back to the capital will give it a certain.. flair. serves them right for thinking my magma projects were a disgrace to good design. we still need to bring up more magma. but the chamber hasn't cooled down enough yet to retrieve the other minecarts.

A small child has started muttering. Iden Rithubal. He's claimed a craftsdwarf workshhop and just stares and mutters at anone else who tries to use it. he's run around and collected a variety of things, some wood. a set of copper bars. some marble and some cut morions. and has now started working. although nobody has any idea what he's making we're confident it'll at least brighten people's day a little.

it's now the end of autumn. after the caravan we've been going slightly hungry. so everyone who arrived since spring, go outside and get what plants we can find on the surface while the crops grow. we should be able to stabelize before the winter comes.

my time here is almost over. just enough time to work out a few last things. we're emptying the magma chamber in the deeps right now. so whoever comes after just needs to let it cool down before they can pull up another batch of magma in the minecarts. I'll include a few overviews of area where my work has been particularly impactful. now. with winter upon us I think I'll settle down. glassmaking does look interesting. I'll just leave some generic 'utility' standing orders on repeat. like for glass pots, and cloth and thread should we run low. I've also turned off most of the gathering labours on the newer waves of immigrant. I also engraved names into most levers I could find. and placed notes by any I've touched. if whoever leads up after me has a question, don't hesitate to ask me! can't be sure I'll have the answer, but if it was my doing I'll probably remember.

we currently have 73 dwarves. of which 56 adults. 16 children, and 2 babies. I tried to keep track of deaths but lost it somewhere. and I'm not even sure I've found every body who died from depression.
10 dwarves with a nickname are still alive, appearing in DT in the following order:
Akko
Auze
Carch (me!)
Girl Inod
Hydrangea (although she has been terribly depressed pretty much all year.)
Imic
Moony (who seems to go hungry, transform, and be fine again)
Noloc
Voicebook
Zan

End of my turn: 1st of winter 253
ASCII df 44.10 Save
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:40:22 pm by Carch »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2018, 01:57:05 am »

cough
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2018, 04:45:39 am »

My bad, have the save, will begin now.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2018, 05:17:26 am »

hey, I'm the last to complain about anyone missing a few days. XD
doesn't mean I'm not now very eager to see how things continue. ^^

I've also tried to rename the bridges found in the trade depot and the levers to control them in the control room (along the side of it). I hadn't seen that feature before, and it's really neat; also lets you link up bridges much easier, as if you rename a bridge (say to trade depot inner) it'll show up with that name in the link lever to bridge menu.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:10:09 am by Carch »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2018, 03:46:19 am »

Bearskie's Journal

This place is tearing apart.

I am an old dwarf. I've seen the life and deaths of a hundred and fifty years. I've been doctoring for a century, and carving bones for a hundred and thirty-two. I've walked lands full of death, I've held in my hands the bones. Some are aged, some are old, some are marked with scars. I've held them all, carved them all. You can sense the life once contained within these bones, the deeds of their life, the good and the evil.

So let me tell you this, dear reader. There is something in the air here, something that eats away at our hearts. Anger spreads like fire along these corridors. Anger and stress. Today I punched a man. It felt good. I am not a violent dwarf but it felt good, and I wanted to punch more. Others stumble freely through the corridors, eyes glazed over like a half-awake dream. They flit between the world of the living and the dead, showing exceptional skill in between blinks of time. There is a madness in this air, and it has begun to consume us all.

---

A great ettin marched upon our walls today, or so I've heard the rumors. The tavern dwarves said it had two heads with sharp tusks in both. When I asked them if death greeted us today they said a farmer dwarf died with no head. But it was okay since the ones with axe and spears chased it away and removed its head as well. At this point another fight broke out as some think its not dead even as it still has one head. They told us they left the bodies there so the rest of us can see and make sure the beast wasn't just within their heads.

---

It is not clear who is in charge these days. My wife insists that they had someone in charge, back when everyone wasn't angry and people weren't getting into fights all the time. That was before they became dead and alive and then dead again. There are a few who follow the Carch dwarf, who calls himself the Mad Scientist but does not appear to be mad nor a scientist. He tried to get us to make more glass pots and become self-sufficient, but people got bored of being self-sufficient when it meant they had to do more work.

Now people just do whatever needs doing, and in their free time they go to the tavern or the temple. But there is barely any booze in stock, which is puzzling as we have many barrels and plants and the stills are always working. There is never enough booze, and thus never enough temper. I wonder who is sacrificing our booze to this cursed land.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:57:57 am by Bearskie »

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2018, 04:59:05 am »

maybe the combination of milling and constant making of lavish meals is pulling in all the drink/plants to brew? might be worth halting that for a month or so to see. we might just need to get more plots secured and another still set up. I planned to, but never quite got around. also didn't get around to setting up a library, but getting magma workshops up is probably a better long-term prospect.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2018, 07:38:23 am »

Possible, but let's not discount the booze sacrifice to eldritch gods theory.

Speaking of eldritch gods, does anyone know how to pierce an aquifer from below?

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2018, 02:25:46 pm »

since staircases (especially down staircases, which can act like grates) will happily let water fall down without spreading (certainly initially) side to side. you can create a shaft upwards, draining into the side of the caverns or such to get rid of the water, the shape of the hole you want in the aquifer (plus casing to keep it watertight later). then pierce it from below only after everything is built. you'll end up with water forming in the aquifer, immediately falling straight down the hole below, and not inconveniencing any digging right besides it. so you can then mine out the entire shaft size you wanted, whereupon only the outer ring will produce water, so you can stand in the middle and (with lots of cancellations) finish walling the aquifer in. giving you the new staircase/hole through the aquifer.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2018, 02:37:39 pm »

You can use portable drain. 

Let's say
z++ is surface
z+1 is dirt
z+00 is aquifer layer(s)
z-1 is layer below the "last aquifer layer", not to be excavated

I'd designate z-2, and z-3, z-4 as valid floors for rooms below aquifer, will have "up/down stairs". 
Let's say to have an 1 tile hall from z-2 as your entry point to this project.

z-5 would be the "bottom" below aquifer pierce, will have "up stairs", treat this floor as sewer system.
z-6 would be portable drain, unless you reached cavern.

I prefer a 3x3 stairs will suffice. 

Items needed: 1 door, 1 grate, 1 minecart (wood is ok).
--
Before piercing aquifer, creat portable drain:

z++ _xxx_   surface, _ = floor, x = stairs
z+1 _xxx_
z+0 C~~~C   aquifer, C = constructed walls, ~ = aquifer stairs
z-1 #xxx#
z-2 Dxxx#   entry, stone later, D = door to fort, # = natural wall
z-3 #xxx#
z-4 #xxx#
z-5 #uuug   sewer, u = up stair, g = channel + grate after.
z-6 ####^T# portable drain, ^ = up ramp from channel, T = track stop, dump to wall on east, with minecart, no other settings.
z-7 #######

Once the minecart in the portable drain is place; put grate.

Continue

1. Dig up/down stairs one z-layer at a time.

2. From above, dig up/down stairs z++, then z+1 to show damp stone below on z+0.

3. From above, dig up/down stairs on z+0, so the stairs are flooded.

4. From below, dig up/down stairs z-1, and this should start flooding sewer, and water going in the portable drain will continuous drain 2/7 water into nothingness like atom smashing.  The minecart will have 5/7 water in it while water pressure (from above) fills it's tile in z-6. 

5. At this point, you have breached 3x3 of the aquifer, so you just need to seal the aquifer walls and replace it with constructed walls (or smooth if they are stone).
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28