Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 63736 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.09
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2018, 07:34:48 pm »

How well have I been doing?
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2018, 07:57:58 pm »

Specifically chose you one of the most stable personalities, so nothing much. No hammerings yet (only beatings). Wonder what it takes for someone to get hammered, because some dwarves can commit literal murder and only be sentenced to 90 days prison.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2018, 10:47:14 pm »

Specifically chose you one of the most stable personalities, so nothing much. No hammerings yet (only beatings). Wonder what it takes for someone to get hammered, because some dwarves can commit literal murder and only be sentenced to 90 days prison.

According to the wiki, you need a jail with chains/ropes to keep peeps tied up for the hammerer to work. Otherwise only beatings. Also could be related to not fulfilling mandates.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2018, 02:08:05 pm »

Am I ok?
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2018, 03:28:29 am »

Dead - Please submit request for redorf with new name
Lunardog
Faker
Kametec
Ace of Mace (Sanctume)
Voicebook

I swear it wasn't my fault this time. Do you and Voicebook want redorfings? You'll have to use a different name though.

New dorfings
Spoiler: Killermartian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Diggy (Sanctume) (click to show/hide)

Also, Lunardog are you planning to resume your skipped turn after me? Else it will be GPeter who follows me.

Bearskie's Journal (5)

The earth quakes in manner unlike that of stone moving. Even army of miner descent could not do this if they were not untrained. We drop our tools and watch them dance on tremor. In our waking dreams we move to staircase, upwards, skywards, away from the earthen embrace. Like fool-rabbits to the slaughter. Come out, speaks the walls. Look upon your ender.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We stare with eyes blinded at Him, body clad in bronze and bronze clad in sunfire. He was a walking god, and on seeing Him mine knees knelt on their own. Others make prayer and curses to the gods who had cursed them so, others wept with rivers upon their cheeks. This was our doom, I was sure of it as cast iron. Breakfastpit would be our grave, we would die amongst cheap foodstuffs. 

---

Councilroom. Emergency meeting. The surface is not safe anymore. Walls were built to keep out zombies, not mighty bronze men. We gather in new quarter of Mayor Tosid. They are wondrous rooms with smooth walls unlike sand, but there is a pressure upon minds here I cannot explain. Dwarf is at home amongst rock and stone, but down here air is stale and choking. Perhaps it was the crowd because meeting was for all fort-dwarfs. We are packed like fishes in a mug, close to fighting if Mayor Tosid did not bang hammer for our attention.

In meeting we agreed the bronze god was too strong and hard for feeble dwarf traps or weapons. Zan the Sworder slammed the table and called us weaklings afraid of death. He would have us sacrifice our lives to overcome the beast, but he was alone in voice. None of us would dare meet him in eye, for we all were not ready to sacrifice. Angered Zan the Sworder threw his badge on the table and shouted he would not be militia commander for weaklings. We melted before his iron gaze and ex-commander stormed out unopposed.

Engineer corps spoke next that if traps were not enough to slay bronze gods then we would have to build one. Laughter came and went as we realise they had actual serious intent. New chief mechanic Kubuk who had come only three months before and was still relatively sane laid out his plan. He says blade or metal would not scratch the bronze god, but gravity will. We will use the deep shaft in the caverns for it is nearly 80 stories tall, and line it with fiendish contraptions and marksdwarves. It will be the trap to end all traps Kubuk tell us. Once it is finished, let zombies, armies or bronze gods come - their limbs will shatter to feed crundles upon the cavern floor.

We share mild distrust for Kubuk and plan but none else could come up with solution that is not mad. Mayor Tosid has weary hands but they reach for mayoral stamp to approve the plan. Construction plans begin tonight as whole fort is mobilized. We can no longer go to surface until it is complete. There will be no party and limited drink until the project reaches its end. We begin to wonder if bronze god is preferable now.

---

MEGASHAFT tm SCHEMATICS

The MEGASHAFTtm is a alternative trapped entrance to the fort, and will be built upon an 80z natural cavern shaft exacavated by miners. Such a deep shaft is an extraordinary find, and a fall from full height would be more than enough to destroy even the hardiest of creatures. The main route will be a three-story snaking path across the lip of the MEGASHAFTtm.

First two levels houses a water pressure blaster supplied from cavern lakes. The resulting jet of water should be strong enough to sweep any invading force off the ledge. If this fails, the MEGASHAFTtm is equipped with a lining of conventional traps across all levels. The third level also contains a galley for marksdwarves to snipe enemies off the ledge. The base of the MEGASHAFTtm should be floored over to ease corpse cleanup. Further plans may involve flooding the base with magma to eliminate the need for cleanup and to inspire fear in the hearts of enemies.

Designed by
Kubuk Dibeshast, chief mechanic
"They call me Ol' Crazy Sabres. Nonsense, I don't even like sabres (unless they're trap sabres)."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:40:21 am by Bearskie »

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2018, 05:36:16 am »

isn't.. that the shaft I pushed down into the deeps besides? doesn't it lead to a magma pool?
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2018, 08:16:18 am »

It leads to third cavern water pools. The magma pool is a few floors below that in the exact same spot, but separated by several layers of rock. I must say, it's an interesting underground feature, I really haven't seen anything like it before.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2018, 01:31:13 pm »

That megashaft deserves a name!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2018, 02:17:59 pm »

I vote to call it the drop-bear.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Vaporo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2018, 03:09:49 pm »

Personally I like the name MEGASHAFTtm as is.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2018, 03:33:46 pm »

Why don't we name the Megashaft after the Bronze Colossus? The Mighty beast which we're throwing down the chasm.

In the [insert season here] of the year [insert year here], the dwarves of Breakfastpit were attacked by the Bronze Colossus "Tharith", the dwarves ellaborated a clever trap, throwing the Colossi down a giant chasm, some say you can hear the screams of the monster echoeing around the walls of the chasm until this very day!

Behold, "Tharith" the giant chasm, killer of bronze colossus and anything else the dwarves wanted to throw in it!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:35:20 pm by GPeter »
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2018, 03:49:37 pm »

Make the bottom a place to eat, have some nest box around, some pig to butcher, and maybe olive oil, potato to hash and brown, and call it breakfastpit.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 23, 2018, 11:43:09 am »

^ Brilliant idea. You wouldn't even need a butcher, just throw the pig down and instant pork chops. Eggs? Throw them down. Boom, scrambled eggs.

I hope nobody minds me taking a while with this. Every time I plan out all these story updates and I underestimate the amount of writing I need to do. IIRC I started on June 12, so two weeks gives me until June 26. I'm not sure if that'll be enough, but I'll try. Worst case scenario I'll pass the save on first.

Bearskie's Journal (6)

Cut cut cut. Dig dig dig. Smooth smooth smooth. Four months now. Carved fortifications for marksdwarf is complete with rudimentary traps on lowest layer. Ledges of the Mega-shaft are precarious traps for us as well as our enemies. To pass one dwarf must bend and the other must climb over. Six dwarf souls have been claimed so far.

Three when winged beast from cavern see us for bait and swoop for meat. They fall into the dark until their screams end at bottom. When collecting their bodies we could not tell dwarf apart from meat. It is very effective trap.

Three other souls dead from our own madness. Herb dwarf already maybe insane from wanting to pick flowers, but curfew broke his mind. He fought us all on lip of shaft like rabid dog and took two with him to the cavern floor. They go splat in view of builders at base of shaft, who start to lock up in mind as well.

Quick of action, Zan the Sworder now retired commander calls himself captain of guard and gathers few dwarfs to crack down on them all. Dwarf justice is swift and brutal punishment. They are chained to surface in view of zombies and bronze god without drink or food. Zan further promises to crush the skulls of those infected with madness. We shuffle away guilty trying to hide our minds.

---

To appease our worries small rooms are carved out for prayer. They are bare rooms but we can smooth rock later. Separate space for separate gods leave little room for fighting unless it is in corridor. For now rapture is best to calm restless souls. When we lift corpses and limbs we try think of gods, they remain stinky but it helps our thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:49:21 am by Bearskie »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2018, 03:22:45 pm »

Oh wow, this is wonderful. I don't often get excited about community forts, but... can I please be dorfed? Name of Yarf.
I don't mind who, either roll a die or just pick the first available dwarf who cancels something. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2018, 04:48:18 pm »

woo. you made it to the new release bearskie, also, I think given that you are giving lots of regular updates it won't be a problem if you go over a little. at least to me. also. calling it the breakfastpit is... amazing. and it certainly makes steak tartare, if it gives the 'blown apart' result.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28