Advanced search  

Poll

This mod is discontinued

But there's gonna be a better one in the future
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: [47.xx] Sver's DF Combat Reworked (update v1.7)  (Read 95834 times)

Augur

• Bay Watcher
  • remove-stress
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Re: [44.xx] Sver's DF Combat Reworked (update v1.4)
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2018, 02:13:24 pm »

I did my own titles for elves/goblins/kobolds; greatarmselves/gobs/bolds lol

Had a question -- is this mod compatible with Revised and your mod? If so, what order should I install them in? I would assume that mod, then revised, then finally your mod. Thanks!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2018, 04:51:19 pm »

Should work alright with my mod as long as you overwrite his item_weapon.txt with mine and then manually add my item presets into his entity_default.txt.

I'm not sure about Revised, as I have no idea what changes All Races Playable makes to the creature files. They'll probably need manual merging, e.g. editing the conflicting files to include the features from both mods.
Alternatively, you can go on and overwrite everything from his mod by the Revised files, except his entity_default.txt. Then open both his and Revised entity_default.txt files and manually add the Revised changes (tagged with "Revision", iirc) into the ARP file. This way you'll loose the whatever creature changes ARP makes, though. My mod, as usual, will need to be installed after all of that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:53:29 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2019, 06:24:47 am »

Dropping in to say that the work on the mod is still ongoing. Right now I'm working on several features that I have been putting off for a long time, and playtesting the whole thing. I just don't see much point in making a release right now, as both the Revised and the DF itself are somewhere about to make new releases, which would prompt me to tweak the mod again. However, if there would still be no updates for Revised/DF before I'm done, I'll upload the new version regardless.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2019, 02:18:41 pm »

Any updates on the next update? Looks like Revised was recently updated, and I'm getting antsy over here!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2019, 05:51:55 am »

I'm currently very busy with the life stuff, so I can't really say when, but yes, the work on the update is steadily going: I need to clean up the files a bit, since some features got stuck in a half-baked state, and then merge them with the latest Revised, but other than that it seems good to go.
DF Combat Reworked

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2019, 04:51:42 pm »

Alright, so it appears that the only thing left to update is the thread itself - with the installation instructions for the new features in particular...
Should get it done pretty soon.
DF Combat Reworked

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2019, 05:13:34 pm »

v1.5 Released

Major changes:
* Full support for Revised v2.1.0!
* Body rework!
Spoiler: Details (click to show/hide)
* Armor rework!
Spoiler: Details (click to show/hide)
* Weapon set rebalance! Sets that use crossbow, arbalest, bow or longbow and a one-handed weapon now require both hands, although, larger than average humans and exceptionally large dwarves will still be able to use them with a shield. Sets that use a two-handed weapon are all strictly two-handed now, except for spear-thrower sets. Sling and spear-thrower sets with a one-handed weapon use the default weapon limits. Some sets no longer require an extra bar of metal to forge.
* Material cost for weapons has been thoroughly rebalanced. Weak melee weapons no longer give diminished smelting returns. All weapons have been categorized into six tiers, which equal the number of metal bars required to make them, on the basis of their qualities. Weapons capable of piercing good armor or severing limbs of huge creatures are particularly expensive.
* New reactions for cheaper ammo production! You can now forge arrowhead kits in the Metalsmith's Forge (4 per 1 bar of metal) and use them (and a log of wood) to create arrows and bolts in the Bowyer's Workshop. Yes, this means you can now make arrows as dwarves: restricting their availability has been meaningless at best.
* Changed an optional: war horses can no longer be encountered in the wild to prevent them being used by elves. You can add them to any civ you want, following the installation instructions.
* Humans and dwarves will bring dogs as siege minions now.
* Greatly expanded on the list of optional weaponizable tools.
* Added new weapons: spiked staff, heavy spear and recurve bow. The first is based off the flemish goedendag and is a heavier, punchier variation of mace, which can also be used for thrusting; it's two-handed and uses the pike skill. The second is based off sarissa and is a stronger variation of pike; it's two-handed, yet uses the spear skill, so invaders will use a shield with it. The third is nearly identical to the longbow, but has a lower size requirement, allowing its use to smaller races, such as elves.
* Added new training weapons: knobstick (hammer skill) and quarterstaff (pike skill).
* Removed the overpowered elven weapons. Elven weapon preset now consists of the heavy spear and the weapon set of recurve bow + estoc. Their arrows are still extra-good and they only use tower shields now. Essentially, they use pike-and-shot tactics, although, their melee is there just to tie the enemy in combat (for a fairly short time), while the archers and the beasts do the killing.
* Removed daggers from all civ presets, as they seem to increase the disarmed "Recruit" unit spawns (a unit receives Knife User as their weapon skill, which has no assigned military unit type). Added separate reactions to forge them in Fort Mode. To appear as loot in Adv Mode, you'd need to add them manually as tools ('hunting dagger' and 'swordbreaker' from my optional tools file).
* Removed the hand ballista from the dwarven preset; it is henceforth unrecommended to add as is to a player civ. Added separate reactions for it in the Metalsmith's Forge, which will require a ballista part, 6 units of thread, 6 bars of metal (bronze and above) and 4 mechanisms of the same metal.
* Enormous corksсrew attacks have been seriously nerfed, but now it only requires a single bar of metal to forge. Magma pumps in the mod are no longer needlessly expensive.
* Added a 'loosely hack' attack to all one-handed axes, to make them a bit weaker, but removed the 'slap' attack.
* Added a 'closely hack' attack to bearded axe, to make it a bit weaker. Also, increased the contact area of 'hack' attack.
* Reworked the attacks for headhunting axe and dagger-axe, to make them a bit weaker. Also, dagger-axe got a quick 'jab' attack.
* Added a 'slap' attack to pike: slow and blunt, but the velocity is capable of breaking joints. Also, increased the velocity of 'thrust' attack, but made it much slower.
* Added a 'hack' attack to great cleaver: slow, but good against weak armors.
* The earlier nerf to piercing ammo has been rolled back for now, as it turned out to be way too weak this way. Better balancing shall be done in the future.
* Significantly boosted the 'clean slash' and other similar attacks. Now they are quite good vs light armor and average creatures' limbs.
* Boosted the 'cut' attack for swords and the glaive. Now it's a bit better vs light armor.
* Readjusted the contact areas for all pommel strikes to make them a bit stronger.
* Increased the velocity of special anti-armor strikes (halberd, poleaxe, polehammer) to make them a bit more capable against tougher armors. However, their penetration depth has been lowered.
* Increased the 'slash' velocity for some of the swords.
* Removed the 'thrust' attack from hewing axe, but made it relatively cheap to forge. Now it's the cheapest weapon cabable of severing the limbs of large beasts, although, it is not as good vs armor anymore.
* Reverted the stabbing penetration nerf for two-handed sword, as the area difference was insignificant anyway.
* Reverted the stabbing area nerf for greatsword. Its stabs can occasionally cut off limbs again.
* Readjusted the speeds and lowered the penetration for hooked attacks of falx.
* Significantly increased the velocity for prong attacks of bladed spear and readjusted their speed a little.
* Scimitar and war knife can cut off limbs again. They are still better against light armor than other swords, but are weaker against huge creatures. Scimitar is better overall, but the knife is cheaper.
* Made the war cleaver attacks a bit weaker, so now it's more of a cheaper kind of sword.
* The strength of chitin (CHITIN_TEMPLATE) has been increased by large, as I've always found giant insects and insect-based FBs underwhelming. Now though, they really are bad news. Chitin armors (possible thanks to Revised) are tougher too now.
* Skin and scale (SKIN_TEMPLATE, SCALE_TEMPLATE) are less vulnerable to force transfer now and will usually get dented instead of tearing. Also, strengthened them against compressive force to prevent the throat bleeding from strangling.
* Hair (HAIR_TEMPLATE), natural or wool, provides more cushioning against blunt strikes.
* Bone and hair (BONE_TEMPLATE, HAIR_TEMPLATE) are now edible by vermin, so bodies left out in the open will eventually disappear completely.
* Better temperature points for some organic materials. Skin suffers more damage in extreme climates. Hair, skin and cloth ignite faster. Fat ignites a bit slower. Burning wood lasts longer.
* Teeth are now defined to be in front of the head, where the rest of the facial features are. Also, replaced TEETH with TOOTH in STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS (b_detail_plan.txt), as "TEETH" bp category does not exist in the game.
* Renamed 'atlatl' to 'spear-thrower', changed the tag accordingly and changed the ammo type token to THROWING_DART_SVER. As pretty much nothing is left from Jazzpirat's work, I've decided not to pull them into the mod's raws. They're still credited in the top post, though.
* Renamed 'headhunting axe' to 'hooked axe' and changed the tag accordingly. As badass as it is, the original name is way too long and specific.
* Renamed 'hewing axe' to 'broadaxe' and changed the tag accordingly. 'Hewing axe' is a tool now.

Minor changes:
** Added the [AMBUSHER] tag to human entity, so that they also engage in smaller skirmishes.
** Tempered steel reaction now takes 2 bars instead of 1 (iron is required now) and an additional bar of coal.
** Dwarven steel reaction now produces 2 bars (per 3 taken) instead of 1 and takes 2 additional bars of coal. Also, fixed the reagent IDs.
** Added descriptions for new steels' smelting reactions, like in Revised.
** Further lowered the contact areas for maul and mallet.
** Increased the contact area for flanged mace to prevent it from crushing strong armors too easily. Same for poleaxe 'bash' attack.
** Increased the velocity for mallet and the polehammer's 'bash' attack.
** Swinging-only weapons (such as axes) are now slower on attack, to simulate predictability. However, their special attacks received a commensurate speed bonus.
** Committed attacks (such as axe hacks) are now slower on recover.
** Slightly readjusted the speeds for two-handed sword, greatsword, poleaxe, polehammer, scourge, flail, whip and parrying dagger.
** Made trap components a bit slower.
** Multi-attack bonus for greatsword and two-handed sword swings is back on menu, to simulate them bashing off enemy weapons.
** Maul now has a multi-attack penalty.
** Increased the penetration for glaive stabbing attacks a bit.
** Fixed several two-handed weapons having an incorrect velocity bonus.
** Fixed the 'hook' attack for some two-handed weapons having incorrect velocity.
** Fixed the 'slap' attack for some weapons having incorrect contact area.
** Fixed the halberd 'strike' attack being faster than intended.
** Fixed the longsword multi-attack bonus on guard bashing to be a debuff instead, as was intended.
** Fixed the estoc 'cut' attack penetration being bigger than intended.
** Fixed the incorrect velocity for whip.
** Made the hand ballista strictly two-handed.
** Raised the two-handed limit for scimitar up to the average dwarf size.
** Lowered the minimum size for long spear, so it can now be used by kobolds.
** Impact elasticity of cartilage is now higher, because default elasticity caused weirdness when striking at fingers/toes.
** Readjusted the strengths of new steels a little bit.
** Some of my goblin presets now include whips again. Where there's a whip, there's a way.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:26:06 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2019, 05:19:45 pm »

Introducing a new optional feature - Siege engines!
Well, not really, but inorganic creatures functioning as the ones.
(separate post for linking purposes)

- Siege onager. Hurls very dense and heavy boulders at long distances (up to 4 targets at once) and spills limestone dust at close range. Can inflict serious damage to a group of troops with the dust, but is otherwise easily countered by shields and fortifications.
- Fire onager. Hurls fireballs at long distances (up to 4 targets at once). Extremely dangerous in grassy environments and if hits something, but is very slow to reload.
- Plague onager. Hurls chunks of infected flesh at long distances (up to 4 targets at once) and spills buckets of infected blood at close range. While incapable of direct damage, the substance it spills can cause a variety of bad effects and harm the morale. The spilled blood will continue to cause trouble until cleaned up.
- Siege flamethrower. Shoots firejet at very close targets, piercing its hull will cause a huge release of flame. Extremely dangerous, especially in grassy environments, and is fairly quick to reload, but has a very limited range.

All siege engines have the same cabability at destroying buildings as trolls, yet are very slow and incapable of climbing, jumping or swimming. Onagers are essentially wooden wagons reinforced with a thin layer of iron; when challenged in melee, they will retreat almost immediately. Siege flamethrower is a hollow iron wagon, but is much smaller than an onager and, thus, more fragile in general.

Siege engines are optional, however, the siege onager is given by default to humans and dwarves, as they lack building-destroyer minions otherwise. If you don't like this feature, you can simply delete its entries from your entity_default.txt, marked by =SVER_SIEGE=.
DF Combat Reworked

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2019, 05:21:43 pm »

Introducing a new optional feature - Tactical item presets for civilizations!
(separate post for linking purposes)

As there are no rarity tokens for a civ's weapons, such as the ones existing for armor, I've made a bunch of tactically sound item presets for humans and goblins. Other than their equipment and general strategy (and occassional lack of mounts for certain human presets), they are identical to default human/goblin civs.

- "Armored."
  -- Goblins will field a decently armored force of various cut-and-slash two-handed polearm users, with large amount of strong missile troops.
  -- Humans will field a well-armored force of top-class two-handed polearm users, also with large amount of strong missile troops, but won't bring mounts or dogs.
Spoiler: Tips for dealing with (click to show/hide)

- "Disablers."
  -- Goblins will field a lightly armored force of fast polearms and anti-armor melee weapons, with decent amount of various missile troops. In Full Edition of the mod, they will never attack openly, ambushing in large numbers instead.
  -- Humans will field a medium-armored force of various anti-armor melee troops and strong anti-personnel ranged troops.

- "Pike."
  -- Goblins will field a force of decently armored melee support troops, a few of cleaver-and-shield users, and a large amount of strong missile troops, and will also bring morale-decreasing plague onagers. They will always opt for sieging camps, instead of rushing.
  -- Humans will field a decently armored force of versatile two-handed melee support troops and strong anti-armor missile troops, but won't bring dogs. They will always opt for sieging camps.

- "Shielded."
  -- Goblins will field a lightly armored force of shield-bearing swordsmen, with large amount of strong anti-armor missile units. In Full Edition of the mod, they will never attack openly, ambushing in large numbers instead.
  -- Humans will field a poorly armored force of one-handed melee troops with big shields and few ranged troops. They will never attack openly, ambushing in large numbers instead.

- "Sidearms."
  -- Goblins will field a lightly armored force of anti-personnel weapon-and-shield melee troops and a few two-handed polearm users, along with various missile troops. In Full Edition of the mod, they will never attack openly, ambushing in large numbers instead.
  -- Humans will field an unevenly armored force of high-tier weapon-and-shield melee troops, along with a few strong missile troops, but won't bring dogs.

- "Turtle."
  -- Goblins will field an overly armored melee force with shields and punchy oversized weapons, with a small amount of strong missile troops, and will also bring morale-decreasing plague onagers.
  -- Humans  will field a slow, medium-armored force of swordsmen with big shields, along with large amount of hard-hitting missile troops, but won't bring mounts. They will always opt for sieging camps.

- "Waves."
  -- Goblins will field a combined force of fast polearms and swords with shields, as well as a decent amount of various missile troops, unevenly armored. They will always opt for sieging camps, instead of rushing.
  -- Humans will field a combined force of fast polearms with shields, punchy two-handers and a decent amount of various missile troops, all lightly armored.

These are the ones I've came up with so far, taking into account the game's combat and AI mechanics. Any ideas for similar combos are welcome.

You can use these together with the default civs or use the cropped entity_default.txt to only have the tactical civs, in any combination to your liking.

IMPORTANT NOTE: DF puts civs from entity files into the world one by one - and each tactical entity type will take up its own slot. What that means is, if you use all of the tactical types at once, you'll have 7x more* human and goblin civs each than dwarven or elven civs - yet, only one human and one goblin civ would make the first contact with you on their own. Thus, if you gen a world with a low number of civs, I suggest to use only 1 or 2 types at a time. However, if you gen with a higher civ cap (30-35 is about right if you use the cropped entity_default.txt and all of the tactical types), you can simply edit the tactical civ's raws to have [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1] or any other low number.

* As of v1.7 human tactical civs have [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:2] by default. Since goblins have a different spawn mechanic that is dependent on worldgen events, their number was kept at base limit.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:43:18 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Sver's DF Combat Reworked (update v1.5)
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2019, 05:38:49 pm »

That was a pretty big one, so, if you notice any problems, or mistakes, or if there's important info missing/unclear in the top post - installation instructions in particular - please report.

The "Tips and notes" section is yet to be updated.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:07:46 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2019, 08:36:05 pm »

Thanks so much for this!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2019, 02:06:47 am »

Aand I forgot to update the steel-related files. The changes are fairly minor though, so don't worry if you missed out. A new archive has been uploaded, with the only altered files being inorganic_steels_sver.txt and reaction_smelter_steels_sver.txt.
DF Combat Reworked

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2019, 11:13:27 am »

Looks like I have some work to do! I'm really enjoying what I'm reading so far. Thank you! I'll comment better when I have time to start merging things.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2019, 06:28:41 am »

Hey! So i'm having a bit of a weird bug... for some reason, my dwarves aren't able to use battle axes. Like, at all. Instead, my default "embark now" is giving me metal bows (which are listed under digging implements, where picks are just weapons?) and metal training axes, neither of which can cut down trees. The issue persists across multiple world gens. Has anyone else using this mod had an issue?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2019, 01:26:20 pm »

I do a basic playtest on any new version's archive before uploading, so I can say with certainity that it's not an integral issue with the mod.

With what I gather, this sounds like duplicate raws - check if you have an item file from another mod containing any vanilla items.
DF Combat Reworked
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20