Advanced search  

Poll

This mod is discontinued

But there's gonna be a better one in the future
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

Author Topic: [47.xx] Sver's DF Combat Reworked (update v1.7)  (Read 95818 times)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: [47.xx] Sver's DF Combat Reworked (update v1.7)
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2020, 05:34:47 pm »

Just a few textual fixes so far. I've never actually seen that bug in action before; verifying it is on my to-do list for the next release, because I want to either revert the change or report it. Have you seen it? Thanks for the reminder!

I haven't really seen it and I don't think anyone did, because the very nature of this bug is that the player never sees these creatures appear on the map unless they spawn without items - as they spawn in nature. One way to test it, I guess, is giving every civilized race but dwarves [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM], set up a tavern zone at embark and see if any non-dwarf visitors come and how they behave.

I know for a fact that [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] causes issues on civilized creatures though, so adapted-into-society bear people and whatnot will behave weirdly: such as grab a barrel of booze and then idle with it aimlessly, not drinking and not doing anything.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 05, 2020, 06:01:02 pm »

A small update to the New Metallurgy Flowchart - made it more clear that bags, buckets, barrels/pots, and seeds of the plant/fruits used in the reactions are consumed permanently.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2020, 09:07:00 pm »

I just finished the first fortress using LNP 47.04 with your vanilla mod installed. It worked fine with no problems I could see.
The 17 citizen fort ended when everyone died in a siege led by 2 bleak zombies (human lasher & goblin bowman) with about 8 undead corpses.
Our military:
4 dwarfs in steel mail with steel weapons at skill levels 2 to 3.
3 dwarfs with no armor, steel weapons at skills around 3, one went into a trance and did well before dying.
We destroyed all of the undead corpses, but the 2 bleak zombies were unstoppable and killed everyone.
The lasher bleak zombie was nothing but a pulp but kept on going and going and going...
Fun was had by all.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2020, 06:01:06 am »

Yeah, early undead sieges are murder. Them new zombies seem even more so - regular undead though, in one of my test forts they were dealt with by a swarm of unarmed civilians and one very aggressive bard  :P
DF Combat Reworked

Vulpes_Inculta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2020, 07:23:17 am »

Hello there! Just wanted to ask a lazy newb question. What if I put your pre-installed mod right over the game included into PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.47.04, overwriting files? is it gonna work or is it a bad idea? Thanks! :)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2020, 08:19:18 am »

Don't do that! But you can do it like this:

1) Download the pre-installed mod edition of your choosing.

2) Unpack it somewhere, open the unpacked folder, then the "raw" folder inside.

3) There you'll find "graphics", "interaction examples" and "objects" folders. Copy only the "objects" folder.

4) Paste it into .../%your PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack folder%/raw/. It should prompt you to merge "objects" folders - agree, then agree to overwriting files.

Like that, it should work.
DF Combat Reworked

Vulpes_Inculta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2020, 11:47:37 am »

Thank you sir, seems to be working that way!

But man, it probably has nothing to do with the mod, but the day the first summer comes I get the undead siege of 3 ghouls and 3 corpses. I didnt even dig enough room for a dining hall yet lol. Of course I had no chance stopping that with 2 picks and a rusty axe. Very tough luck I guess.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:08:05 pm by Vulpes_Inculta »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2020, 01:19:52 pm »

That is unfortunately just the deal with DF v0.47. There's an awful lot of necromancers.
DF Combat Reworked

Vulpes_Inculta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2020, 02:24:40 pm »

Yeah well this is Dwarf Fortress so I'll just accept the fate and try again with hopes of not being hit by the truck THAT early again.

This situation led me to an idea of sorts though. How hard would it be to introduce to the game some very basic rudimentary weapons made out of wood at the carpenter workshop? Say, basic clubs and wooden spears with fire hardened tips. Low performance of course, but something better than fists and readily availible before you find any weapon grade metals. Would be quite natural in my opinion.

I personally don't like adding stuff on embarking, prefer the standard default preset. So it could be just me, but still. This elementary step has always been absent from DF warfare for some reason. Like you start in the forest but you can't make yourself a sharpened pole to defend against wildlife. Feels wrong.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 03:39:23 pm by Vulpes_Inculta »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2020, 05:25:15 pm »

The problem with wooden weapons in DF is that they are basically worse than bare fists, because fists are considered to be made of bone, which is a superior material. Granted, you can't make melee weapons out of bone either - this is something I have planned as reactions for the future; might as well throw wooden reactions in too, I guess, maybe with a bit stronger "fake wood" as the end product's material.

Otherwise, if you want to get things bleeding without metal, your best bet are wooden ranged weapons with wood/bone ammo - or rock/clay ammo in case of slings.

Or you can use wooden weapon sets as effectively wooden melee weapons; some of them, like the large dagger sets (such as "marksman arms"), might even be decent. This is something I want to patch out in the future, but right now it is a possible use for them. You can also butcher some dogs and make the same out of bone - they'd be better than wood anyhow.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:27:17 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2020, 07:29:58 pm »

The problem with wooden weapons in DF is that they are basically worse than bare fists, because fists are considered to be made of bone, which is a superior material. Granted, you can't make melee weapons out of bone either - this is something I have planned as reactions for the future; might as well throw wooden reactions in too, I guess, maybe with a bit stronger "fake wood" as the end product's material.

Otherwise, if you want to get things bleeding without metal, your best bet are wooden ranged weapons with wood/bone ammo - or rock/clay ammo in case of slings.

Or you can use wooden weapon sets as effectively wooden melee weapons; some of them, like the large dagger sets (such as "marksman arms"), might even be decent. This is something I want to patch out in the future, but right now it is a possible use for them. You can also butcher some dogs and make the same out of bone - they'd be better than wood anyhow.
For better wooden weapons you may just set more speed, like whip has 5.0, bigger size of weapon and smaller contact area.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2020, 08:00:04 pm »

To be honest, for a single purpose, it's easier adding a new material than an array of specialized weapon-copies. Less maintenance and unintended consequences (such as artifacts) this way.
DF Combat Reworked

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2020, 06:00:34 am »

To be honest, for a single purpose, it's easier adding a new material than an array of specialized weapon-copies. Less maintenance and unintended consequences (such as artifacts) this way.
You may just boost wood to real fire-hardened wood, but make training weapons with the worst weapon characteristics. This will be simpler than adding hardened counterpart for each wood type in game.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2020, 01:24:16 pm »

There is a bit more in play here. To make wooden weapons worthwhile and sensible, the wood used would need to have a fixed density, much beyond that of vanilla wood. So reflecting the variety of natural woods in the new material(s) would be mostly meaningless, as their variety is almost entirely about their densities.
DF Combat Reworked

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2020, 08:07:18 am »

There is a bit more in play here. To make wooden weapons worthwhile and sensible, the wood used would need to have a fixed density, much beyond that of vanilla wood. So reflecting the variety of natural woods in the new material(s) would be mostly meaningless, as their variety is almost entirely about their densities.
Have vanilla wood realistic density or not? If have, there is no ways to make wood really better, but a way to make realistic - some types of wood was used for tools and weapons due to their big density.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20